We stayed 4 nights (a long weekend) at the Greenbrier in July 2012. I traveled with my husband and 3 year old son. We stayed in a Spring Row Cottage which is a spacious one bedroom suite. The furninshings were dated but it's the Greenbrier, so a lot of things are dated. They do have cribs available for use which was a plus. (Many places we travel to only have pack n plays and we end up having to rent a crib.) The Spring Row Cottages are just a few minutes walk to the main building and close to the outdoor pool. One complaint was that our cottage had an ant problem and it was very difficult to get housekeeping to do anything about it.
Overall, I liked our stay but wouldn't rate it a 5-star luxury resort. The history behind the Greenbrier is really neat and the scenery is beautiful but that is about where it ends. I think it is worth a stay but maybe not during peak season when we stayed. We paid 600+ a night and if you are a person that needs to get your money's worth, you probably won't. There is nothing for a 3 year old to do but the pool and it is only open from 10am to 6pm in the summer which I thought was strange. I can also see older kids getting bored there. I would think it would be better as an adult trip and getting to experience the casino which we didn't get to.
The restaurants are good and room service is available to the cottages. Just be prepared to pay top dollar for everything and don't expect top dollar service. We ordered room service every day and they often forgot items in our order. Our favorite restaurant was at the golf club and had great views and a nice atmosphere.
I would consider a trip back because it is a unique place and the grounds are beautiful, but I'm not in a hurry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv