“Know what you want!”
Review of The Greenbrier

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is our 4th visit. The rooms are awesome, the food, none better; housekeeping, the very best; the shops, so very friendly this is just wonderful place! however the casino " the worst " we've been all over and these people just seem bored! No help, rude, act like this is Vegas or AC, not sleepy little White Sulphur Springs. I am not an experienced gambler and they make it very evident that you are not welcome. Spoke to the gentleman that guard the front door and they seemed very concerned with my thoughts as there were only 13 people in the casino. When the department head came by all we got was the big yawn! He was so disinterested that it caused us to leave.
So if your coming for the food, golf, tennis or quite frankly anything but gaming its a great place. If your here for the gambling, forget it you will be disappointed, just plain lame. Overall we had a good time but probably will go to the Homestead next year,

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade to the intermediate room as it makes a big difference
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ScottyGeeee

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Getting off of the train and seeing almost nothing except West Virginia woods had me worried about the hotel we, my family and I, were going to be staying at, but when I went through the front gate and saw the amazing grounds I breathed a sigh of relief and knew I was in for a real treat. This summer on the way home from a trip to Washington D.C., I stayed at an historic, beautiful, and opulent hotel called The Greenbrier Resort. This historic resort is tucked away in White Sulfur Springs, West Virginia where it takes you back in time to the 50s where wealthy families might rent a cabin and play golf on the PGA Tour greens. Our trip to the Greenbrier started when we got off the train at the station and was immediately met by a Greenbrier staff member who would shuttle us to the hotel, which was fairly close to the station. As we were driven to the main building we could see a tennis court, swimming pool, cabins, and croquet court. We were given two rooms, as requested, and the rooms turned out to be great with very colorful themes. While we were there we scheduled a falconry tour where the trainer showed off a couple of their birds. This is incredible because virtually no other hotel offers activities like this, but this wasn’t the only thing they offered to keep their guests entertained. There was also swimming, golfing, playing tennis, mountain biking, horseback riding, gambling, off-road driving, and laser-tagging. One of the unique activities the Greenbrier offers is the bunker tour, which is a tour of the bunker built into the Greenbrier to possibly protect the president if there was ever a nuclear attack. The tour was great, going into the history of the bunker and the neat facts about it, like the huge blast doors. Another thing great about the Greenbrier was the food; it offered some of the best cuisine, though for a steep price. One restaurant in the Greenbrier is Prime 44 West which is owned by Jerry West, the famous basketball player, and it had excellent steaks and sides, I recommend their lobster mashed potatoes. One last great thing about this hotel is the effect it had on me; it relaxed you and made you care very little about anything outside of it grounds. Since the hotel is so old-fashioned, with old-world décor and even afternoon teatime, and separated from the outside world, since it is located in a small West Virginian town, the guests achieve a sense of calm that most of the guests, being hard working middle-class and upper-middle class people, usually can’t achieve. This is one of the greatest qualities of this hotel. Considering everything this hotel is an excellent choice if you have some money to spare, but not only is it a great hotel, it also brings you back in time when lazy aristocrats had nothing to do but have tea time at three o’ clock and play chess in one of the many parlors in the resort. The hotel is a truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Walker V
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Although we only stayed overnight, we had a lovely suite that was exquisitely decorated. The check-in process, as well as every other aspect of the hotel, is carried out in the tradition of fine resorts. The dining room, for example, is enormous, and the breakfast buffet ranks up there with the best. There are plenty of activities, including sports, a casino, and shopping.

Management might consider a coffee maker in the room - if a well stocked bar is included, why not a morning beverage? The Italian restaurant is mediocre with a strange menu, below average food, and high pricing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank larryderm
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Greenbrier located in White Sulfur Springs, WV is truly a sight to see and place to experience. The grandeur and beauty of this resort is easily matched by the friendliness of all who work at the Greenbrier. As you stroll through the building and grounds, all the employees will greet you and wish you a nice day, and you feel that they truly mean it. They will remember you from one day to the next, and make certain you stay is exceptional.

Yes, the Greenbrier is not inexpensive, and they are not bashful about charges and fees, but there are not many places like this in this part of country. I have had the pleasure of also visiting the nearby Homestead Resort which is also grand but seems somewhat tired. The Greenbrier on the other hand is vibrant and alive. We were there on recent weekend when they were not all that filled but yet the place was still buzzing.

I am not a gambler, but it was fun visiting the casino and sit in the bar and watch people and enjoy the entertainment. The casino is not like ones in Las Vegas where as soon as you walk into a hotel, it is right there. Rather, it is hidden a few steps away from the lobby. Other than the signage, you would not be aware of it.

The Greenbrier is a place where we do indeed like to go on occasion to feel pampered. While it is not my normal type of destination, it is a real treat to occasionally visit. We look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carribeantraveler52
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Driving in WV on a trip. I came upon the sign for the Greenbrier and had seen the special on the secret bunker atomic bunker built for congress. So I stopped.
I booked a room through Hotels.com but when I got to the hotel they had trouble finding the reservation. I waited about 20 minutes. Which seemed long but for my trouble I was upgraded. My rate was high for a regular room but for the upgrade it was nice.
The room....ugh...
This is difficult. The size of the room and the quality of the bed and the furnishings was very good however the choice of decorations was very very very much not my taste. In fact, it seemed more of my grandmothers taste. This is a very subjective area so I will let the pictures speak for me on this issue.
Staff was friendly made my stay very nice.
I toured the bunker and enjoyed it very much.
The grounds, the staff and the surrounding were top notch and the Greenbrier has many other activities, such as falconry, the choose from if you happen to book during the right season. And a casino with Craps table on the grounds....
Stationary was available in the room and in the lobby, a plus for me.
I would highly recommend the Greenbrier.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank utt959
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A king would be right at home in the Greenbrier and many have visited. We have visited the palaces of Europe and some of them pale in comparison to the opulence of the Greenbrier. Each room you enter is an explosion of color that your mind can hardly comprehend. You can pretend your servants are ready to snap to attention at your command and you will discover your palace has a little secret. There are once secret underground facilities used by our government as an alternate position should Washington be attacked. You can go deep into the recesses of a place we never had to use thank God, but you can imagine what life would be like underground. There are sleeping quarters, dining facilities, and even a conference room. When the Senators and Congressmen arrived their first stop was at a location where everyone changes into standard clothing like the Chinese and all their clothes they came in with are burned in a giant incinerator. Then as your emotions are swirling from what you saw in the tour you are again back on the main floor walking the halls of the rich and famous. We drove our 1980 Mercedes Benz 300SD, which were only made for the North American market, there and for a while it was 1980 and we were on vacation. It is a place you will never forget.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is the Grande Dame of Resorts. Nestled on over 40 acres in the middle of West "by God" Virginia. We stayed on the fifth floor of the main hotel asking for "the cheapest room possible." Our room was still bright, big, spotless and quiet. The shower was great with good water pressure and the mattress and pillows top notch. The reception of the "hi def" TV was so bad however we felt like we were watching the AFC Championship game on videotape.

While there we ate at the main dining room and The Forum. The main dining room is very formal and the food was good but pricy. I would skip it if I had to do it over again. The pizza in the Forum was very good but also expensive. Service was great. We took advantage of the exercise facility which was in the tennis pavilion and was excellent. I went to the gun club and shot skeet, trap and sporting clays. Great experience in a beautiful setting. High quality Beretta over/under shotguns, six stations and great instruction.

If you have your own gun you can bring your own ammo (buy some shells at Walmart) and it will save you a lot of money.

The indoor pool was nice but full of kids.

The decor of the place is signature "Draper" design and was not to our taste. Felt dated and not in a good way. Like your grandparents old living room minus the plastic covered couch.

Valet parking was $20 per day. Park yourself and you will have to walk a quarter of a mile back.

Looks like if you went in the summer with a family there is tons to do.

Overall if you like the formality and an early twentieth century feel this is a great place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
Hampton Inn Covington VA
Hampton Inn Covington VA
#1 of 5 in Covington

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!