“Fifth stay at Greenbrier as wonderful as the first” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenbrier

The Greenbrier
Chicago, IL
“Fifth stay at Greenbrier as wonderful as the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

My husband's famiy comes to the Grenbrier every year for Easter, and since I married him over five years ago, I've had the pleasure of joining them. This place is unlike any other in the U.S. My grandmother and grandfather (who is now deceased) stayed here when they were a young couple. This is an historic, elegant resort.

But here's the trick: There is SO much to do here, it's important to know WHAT you want to do, otherwise you might feel overwhelmed. In my opinion, the highlights are golf, the spa, accommodations, history, service, scenery, the range of activities, and shopping.

There are three golf courses. On this trip, I played the Meadows my first day there and hiked a trail that went around Old White on day 2 . Both are scenic and in great condition. Old White is quite challenging. I've played the Greenbrier course in the past - also quite beautiful.

The four ladies had manicures and pedicures at the spa while the guys golfed on day 2. I've been at many spas - Chicago, Scottsdale, San Francisco, Maui, Sydney and other places. This is definitely among the best. The setting is just beautiful, with the decor and high ceilings, and the aestheticians do a great job. The pedicure is great - love the massage chair and the heated lavender neck pillow! I reccommend Peggy.

The service is great. Our in-room safe kicked the bucket, and a person was there to fix it within 10 minutes of my call. The service at meals is very attentive. The meals are very rich - breakfast buffet is wonderful. Sam Snead's and "Slammin' Sammy's" are fun. Draper's has outstanding desserts!

The scenery is breathtaking. Don't miss going out on the golf course or hiking - that is the best part! They have a lot of great trails and will give you a map and information at the tennis club.

They have tons of activities, especially for kids around Easter. The "Hippity Hop Ball" is a big hit with Grenious the Bunny, and they have a huge Easter egg hunt on the lawn, with a DJ, pony rides and all sorts of games. There were also lots of folks taking horse-drawn carriage rides. We don't have children, but it's fun to watch. We enjoyed some late-night billiards and bowling after the Ball. They also have a movie theater with free films running a few times a day, several tennis courts, and two large pools - one indoors and one outdoors.

And the shopping! There's just not enough time to do it all! The main building has about 6 or 8 shops, including a few clothing stores, a florist, a culinary store with cooking classes, and other specialty stores. Then the Artist's Colony has about 15 or 20 more of such a range and variety - you will love it!

There was one mix-up. We usually stay at the President's Estate House, but they made an error in renting that to a family two days before our arrival, so we were placed in the smaller Florida House. This was also very lovely. In fact, the "kids" felt it was a better size for us (we were only 7 people), but the parents were quite disappointed. The management was all apologies and provided all sorts of wine and a cheese platter to apologize.

I look forward to coming back every year. If you enjoy history, elegance, a relaxed atmosphere, great food, golf and spa, and "getting away from it all" off the "country roads" of West Virginia, come to the Greenbrier. You will love it.

• Liked — The history, the golf and the spa
  • Disliked — Sometimes the weather is cold for early
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank operaisfun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
aggiemay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

After staying with my family in the Presidential Suite during Easter, I had a wonderful experience. The staff was remarkable, the rooms were gorgeous and the atmosphere was great. I cringe when I read review commenting that the decor was "ugly" and "outdated". Before going and spending thousands of dollars at this resort, I would recommend doing your research. The decor fits the grand hotel to a pin. What other decor can you put in a HUGE ballroom besides coral walls? White walls? These reviews, in my opinion, are ridiculous. GO TO THE GREENBRIER! You will not regret it!

• Liked — The atmosphere, the decor, the staff, the food, the spa, the golf, the bunker tours, the activities, the walking trails. EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — Having to leave. :(
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank aggiemay
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

I have to concur with most reviews of this property. I was not expecting much and I got what I expected. Booked a cottage for two adults and two children, spacious, clean, well kept. Paid new years rate, not cheap, but about what I would pay in say, NY.

Food:
Hemisphere, the best meal, though service was poor, unexcusable for what you are paying.
Sam Snead, bland and overpriced.
Drakes, not bad for lunch.
Main Dining, brunch was poorly presented, dinner was ok, service spotty.

Service - Over all everybody was nice and courteous and did their jobs well. We ordered room service often and everything was fine, but expensive (breakfast $100)

Other Activities - we did the falconry academy (actually a falconry demonstration) that was enjoyable but it's like $80 per person. The bunker tour is very interesting. The fitness center has everything you want.

Other comments - The decor has to go. I know it's historic, but it's not the original decor of the hotel, it hails from the 40s and it shows. Even in the rooms it looks like a flower shop exploded in there. We stayed until the 2nd of January, once the festivities were over, the hotel basically shut down, everything closed early (restaurants close at 8pm) and some things, like the bowling alley, were not open during the day. During the holidays lots of family reunions occur at the hotel, but it is still geared towards an older, affluent clientele, if you can trace your lineage back to the Mayflower, even better.

• Liked — Spacious room
  • Disliked — Not much to do
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank interterra
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed 2 nights for his company meeting (we paid 250 for 1st night to get situated and 2nd night was on the company - for their christmas dinner). This place is pretty formal and seems geared for only the rich or old. Lots of senior citizens, a few families.. but not much people in their 20s-30s. The stores are a bit pricey with a few high end clothing, but nothing unique to the area except maybe their fruit spreads from the coffee shop and greenbrier logo'd christmas ornaments.
The decor is old but within their historical style I guess (our room was floral pink and green). In general though the building itself is pretty grand and historical. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms - we could hear whenever our neighbors used the shower or toilet.. it was pretty loud.. but I guess that's expect for a building this old. Service, however, was exceptional. They brought up our luggage and refilled our ice bucket and provided whatever we needed. However.. they were a bit over the top. ^^
But in general.. if you're a regular person like me, you'll find the place a bit too formal. We worried about wearing jeans around the resort. Most of the dining areas are very formal - required at least khakis and polo shirt (they supposedly relaxed the dress code) during lunch and coat and tie for dinners. When they state "casual attire" on the pamplet they mean khakis and polo shirt, not jeans. =/ It's ok to wear jeans during the day, but apparently not at night. Since I didn't bring anything other than jeans and a formal dress for the christmas dinner the 2nd night, we were limited in places to go so we got room service. We ordered room service from the main dining room menu and expected a great meal. Our bill ended up being $140. Not bad, but I was at least hoping for food that would stand out but it was kinda blah. It was OK but not great. I guess the resort is better known for their spas and golf courses (which I admit we didn't do)..
They play movies nightly for free at their movie theatre.. while it looked nice it wasn't kept up. Seats were old (as you sit down a bunch of air goes out of the seat) and the sound was just bad. We watched Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix, so plus is that they play pretty recent movies not yet released on DVD. But the problem was I think they skipped parts in the movie (it'd abruptly cut off) and the only sound was from the front of the theatre, there was no surround sound.. the speakers we saw on the sides and back of the theatre I guess was too old bc it wasn't put to use. They did provide popcorn though... I guess they just decided not to keep the theatre up.
To get around, you have to use the shuttles.. it's just not possible to walk around everywhere on the grounds. I took the shuttle to the Christmas Depot shop (which was fairly quick and easy). The shop was cute but a bit small and crowded - had to move aside for people to walk through several times. Lots of ornaments.. a few novelty items.. but again nothing special or unique to the area.
Overall.. I could see this place as a great place for older people (50-70s - there were many around) and people who can afford to take advantage of the extra curricular activities like the spas and golf and horse riding... but for me.. i just didn't feel comfortable in a place like this. There weren't too much places except for 1 club where young people could go and mingle. I think this would be better during the summer and if you could afford doing some of the extracurricular activies.

• Liked — Great service, buildings were grand
  • Disliked — A bit too stuffy for my taste. Not much to do in winter for young people and kids...
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank paperie
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

We had heard rave, wonderful things about the Greenbrier and thought an after Thanksgiving visit would be a great time to visit. Not so... it was all right, but nothing great.

Rooms: We had a standard room in the main hotel (Intermediate category). The room size and bathroom were fine, but the bed was a soft and mushy, as were the pillows. The décor was somewhat dated – who cares about Dorothy Draper in 2007 (see below)? The hotel kept the temperature at a very hot 76 degrees - it felt like a sauna. The room was boiling hot even with the window wide open, we felt like baked potatoes at night! At check out the desk clerk agreed their heating was a problem even pointing out that some units had been serviced and still weren’t working properly. Well, why didn’t they say so in the first place -- I would have brought my sundress.

Restaurants: The hotel closed the newer Hemisphere's restaurant despite it being advertised as open throughout November. The Draper café was only open for lunch, not breakfast as it usually is. So the Main Dining room was pretty much it for choices. But, in my opinion the menus were dated and from what we could tell, the choices seemed to be very heavy on sauces. The Sam Snead's Golf restaurant setting on
the golf course might be nice in the summer, with a great view of the course, but it winter and dark so who knows. The service was great and
pleasant. Unfortunately, the food was not that good. There was plenty of food, but it was pretty heavy and not a very imaginative chef for the price.

Tours: The bunker tour is about 90 minutes and well worth the $30.00 each. We were in a small tour group so we had lots of attention by our amiable guide. The hiking trails were well kept and not too strenuous – we enjoyed the crisp morning jaunts.

Shopping: Some very nice shops line the lower floor near the North entrance of the hotel. You can get everything from designer clothes to a Starbucks latte. Also, the Art Colony on the hill overlooking the main lodge has excellent choices of American made crafts and jewelry. The prices were not all that bad considering the venue, I’ve seen way worse in expensive hotels in Europe.

Evening Tea: We enjoyed sitting in front of a huge real fire and sipping tea. The cakes and cookies were a nice touch and the piano music very well done.

Décor: Apparently a famous interior designer, Dorothy Draper decorated
the hotel. Big deal, get over it -- the 60s are over and frankly I’m glad we’re not all wearing that bilious green… If huge flowered wallpaper is your thing, you've got to see this place. On a positive note, the Christmas décor was tastefully done with a great big Christmas tree in the main lobby.

Spa: We signed up for the Swedish massages – his and hers. The staff checks you in and you go to separate areas for relaxation and awaiting
the masseur. The massage was very vigorous, not for the faint at heart, but definitely relaxing. The facility was first class and the staff very attentive. After the massage, you can use the steam room and sauna at no extra charge. I would definitely recommend this as it helps with the sore muscles as that massage. Certainly, the spa is what you are paying for, so I suggest a long visit here – should do wonders for all the stress of city life and it totally makes up for other not so spiffy areas of this hotel.

Other things to do: Lewisburg is nearby and a fun day-trip to saunter in the shops. We ate at the Tavern 1785 and Food and Friends. The latter had good food and service, but the Tavern was great! The weather was too cold to golf, but we did see a few hearty souls out on the links. Of course the President’s museum on site at the Greenbrier was closed, closed, closed. You get the picture – nice hotel, but don’t go for the food and definitely if you go off-season, don’t expect everything to be open.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank TruffleKing
NC Mountains
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

We went to a 3 day seminar at the Greenbrier this is the 3rd year we have went. The price this year went up and the service and amenities have went down.
Last winter they closed for remodeling. Not the room we were in, the air conditioner sounded like a plane taking off, the carpet faded.
When the hotel reopened it no longer includes the Modified American Plan (breakfast and diner) all meals are ala cart. Breakfast was $30 each and dinner $175 with salad and only 1 entree, 2 drinks at Sam Sneads, the food was very good.
We had dinner at Drapers, the dinner was the same menu as lunch and not impressive.
The service is always the same, mostly older waitstaff who seem to be tired.
Nolonger is ice service offered, you have to call room service.
With only a few channels on the television it seems like 5 of them is overkill to be used to tell about what is available to buy.
One good thing is the internet is no longer charged for.

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank Mo981
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

Spent a fall weekend at the Greenbrier in early October and left unimpressed.

We stayed in an intermediate room, which featured a small bathroom, tacky floral wallpaper (on the ceilings!), and thin walls. Comparable to an average chain hotel room...certainly not worth the $400 a night the Greenbrier charges.

The grounds of the hotel are large and very nice, and the service at the hotel was generally good. However, I echo comments made by others that the hotel never misses a chance to make a buck from its guests. For example, a bottle of water at the golf course will run you nearly $4 each, which includes the mandatory 18% gratuity. This kind of nickel and diming at a $400 a night resort quickly grows old.

We played the Meadows golf course, which was another very average experience. The course was meticulously maintained, but the pace of play was glacial and there was no ranger to be found to pace the groups ahead of us. The course design was unremarkable, and includes several holes that run along a busy road. The course felt like an above average municipal course, not a $180/round resort course.

Unwilling to wear a suit to dinner, we ended up eating at the golf club. Food was expensive, and very average.

The Greenbrier seems to be a resort that is past its prime. It is historic and an interesting place to see and explore. But, at the end of the day, it is not a place folks under 50 are likely to enjoy.

• Liked — Expansive grounds
  • Disliked — Average room and poor golf
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Motel M Lewisburg
Motel M Lewisburg
#7 of 7 in Lewisburg
3.0 of 5 stars 24 reviews

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!