Under new ownership, the resort is still fabulous! Frankly, under the old ownership and during the “for sale” process, it barely skipped a beat on service…unusual for a property changing hands. What has improved considerably is the food. Hats off to the chef. Suggest eating at Prime 44. Service and menu spectacular. Ate at Sam Sneads for thanksgiving, and although I’m not a fan of “family style” food service, the chef got it right. Flavors were spot on.
For those that question the wisdom of a casino at a family resort, it doesn’t take away anything from the family environment. In fact, there is restaurant in the casino (Fusion) that serves great food for the adults. And the main dining room is always a treat. (Note: This writer showed up with a jacket but no tie. I had to go back to the room to put it on. I’m pleased the resort stuck to standards, with no exceptions.) So bring a jacket and tie if you plan on eating in the main dining room, and jackets required for the casino.
There is so much to do at The Greenbrier, not to mention great shopping, tennis, cooking classes, golf (in season), spa. etc. It would be nice if the spa added a "quiet" room to relax in after a procedure as most high end spas do. This is glaringly lacking.
I like tennis and the facility and instructors are the best. Especially Jenny, one of the tennis instructors. And as is tradition in our family for the last four years, we retire each night to the bowling alleys and the kids love it! And now we include ice skating!
We had two junior suites. The bedding, climate controls, and room is comfortable and roomy. This is a grand old hotel, and Mr. Justice is doing a fine job on preserving the tradition, outstanding service and wonderful staff. Cannot say enough.
(We booked our family for Christmas next year…can’t wait!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv