New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Greenbrier

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Your honor, I wish to recant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed recently at the Greenbrier. While I did not enjoy the train ride there....the greenbrier was fantastic. I am giving it a three thumbs up. Outstanding! I do not know where to begin. The room was gorgeous; the amenities wonderful...the shops to die for . There were little espresso cafes and late night casual dining. I hiked around the property for many miles and was in awe of the gorgeous scenery.

It was elegant ...the staff top notch. The only thing that was mildly bothersome is we had an over nine hour trip to get there and thus saved our best clothes for the resort. When we asked a male concierege where we could casually eat, he answered but advised us of the dress code which we were familiar with as we didnt even have our bags from the bell man yet, upon arrival. Other than that , it was spectacular. I did not want to leave. The food I ate (I want to say sweet potato fries at the causal eatery were outstanding. )

The staff in the espresso shop remembered my drink....I loved being there. we are going back for Christmas holidays. I love to be casual but didnt mind at all dressing up for the resort. It deserved a dress code as it lives up to extremely fine place to go.

I recommend it for everyone. Hikers, bikers , walking , golfing etc etc. ; family (although it is formal ) seniors, everyone. I went years ago before the renovation and I was not impressed. I am now.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Citalee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
Sewickley, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband and I took my parents to the Greenbrier for Easter, and don't have one bad thing to say. The attentive service, beautiful interior, the flower filled grounds, and the delectable food were perfect. We especially loved the wait staff in the main dining room. The Easter buffet was a work of art that ran smoothly, delighting the children and adults. The spa treatments were pure luxury. A wonderful wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Old South Elegance. If you can, ask to be upgraded to a suite. Ours was awesome!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lawmom611
Saddle River, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Returned to The Greenbrier after many years. We suspect the new owner has a vision to bring this icon into the new millennium while keeping its' old world charm & elegance. I think it's on the right track, but I think they have some work to do. The staff is a big asset, if not the biggest asset to this resort. I think you have to stay there to understand. It's all about service with a personal touch, they all seemed vested in the hotel. We did not encounter one surly or inefficient or unfriendly staff member. That is hard to find anywhere.
If you don't "get" the interior design then it's hard to appreciate the talent that went into the original design and how seamlessly the new additions (casino) blend into the hotel. It's just best to lose yourself in the Dorothy Draper/Carlton Varnay world.....you're on vacation!!! The casino is lovely in an old world (think Monte Carlo) style.....jackets required, no smoking, no loud music, no loud bells....just lots of fun. You can walk out of the casino at 3:00 am and have a choice between the best ice cream soda east of the Mississippi at Drapers or have a nightcap at the Cafe Carlton.
I think the big issue for me was the food at the Main Dinning Room. I prefer the main room because it is what sets The Greenbrier apart from so many resorts. The ambiance is perfection, but the food, while very good needs to go to the next level. Some items we ordered were not cooked properly and were a bit bland. Might be time to go after a top chef. The other restaurants were very good, but the service was a bit too slow. They seemed overextended at the Forum as we waited 30 minutes past our reservation and then did not get served for quite awhile. That would not do well in a 5 star review.
The Spring Row Cottages are our favorite for our family. They need some updating but are still lovely. The pool improvements are excellent. The view from the edge of the infinity pool out over the golf course and beyond to the mountains is just sheer perfection. Our family loved the golf courses, the horseback riding, clay shooting, fishing, along with the spa & fitness center. All got rave reviews.
The Greenbrier is not just another resort....it's a setting and a place that has it's own unique feel, smell, pace and beauty. I just love it.... and hope its' journey back to the top is swift and flawless. We will love to be there each step of the way.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank That'sMyOpinion
Dover, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

This place is quality from the moment you arrive. The property is gorgeous, well landscaped and building well kept. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely decorated. The service is A+. Breakfast buffet had everything imaginable and then some. Lots to do right on the property from swimming indoor or out, tennis, golf, walking, spa, bowling, etc. They even had shopping to keep everyone happy.
We were there for a wedding and it was spectacular! Every event was flawless. Enjoy (for a price)!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 6mojo
east end
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

First, our reservations did not show up that we had made two months in advance. Finally gave us a small cottage seperated from our group after an hour of waiting. Was told to check back with accounting in a.m. even though my daughter had her credit card recept showing the paid reservation. Went out to attend the Miss W.V. pageant, returned later to find beds turned down. left early next morning, traveled straight home. Unpacked suitcase to discover a white cotton jacket was not where i had put it only the evening before after changing from it. Gave the maid on duty the benefit of the doubt ,thinking she may have mistaken it for a towel even though it was in a suitcase. Called housekeeping_ nothing found in room. I am 100% sure that it was stolen from my room or I would not be writing this. You would never expect this from this resort but it happened. Lucky it was something that inexpensive. However, that is not the point.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank disappointedEastEnd
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We celebrated my parents' 50th anniversary with a four night/five day stay in June. Excellent rooms - we shared two cottages on Baltimore row. Huge baths, bedrooms and living room! If you choose the meal plan, room service is included and is excellent!! Activities abound, both on and off the property. Some things are included and others have an additional fee, but all are done exceptionally well. Dress code is reasonable and adds a nice touch in this era of "very informal." Food was delicious - only average dinner was in the italian restaurant, but we are from the Northeast and are particular about italian cuisine.

Room Tip: The cottages are a great alternative to the hotel if your group is large enough
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Lindsay F
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

The food was not that good. The potato salad, the potatoes were not done. The Devlled eggs, not good. not what I would call a buffet. only two different kinds of desserts,
I must say everything looked and smelled good.

I were to invite someone to dinner, would have had a very good dinner, with enough food to pick and choose.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
Super 8 Lewisburg
Super 8 Lewisburg
#6 of 7 in Lewisburg

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!