Stayed there for two nights in early June, first time there. Service & staff were excellent all round. Has a cottage ( Copeland Row ). Room was ok considering the price, pretty standard sort of room.
Lots of activities to keep most entertained although some come with a pricey fee. Grounds were well kept and beautiful. Hiking trails are good.
Tried to make dinner reservations at In Fusion one night and after several attemots to do so, found out it was closed but there was no public mention of it to the guests.
My personal observation...the Hotel askes for jackets, collared shirts, ties for some of its restaurants they claim are fine diniing with exceprional cuisine BUT they are in essence either a glorified burger joint or a not so great Italian restaurant. I think the expectation of the dress code does not match the actual restaurants they have and it felt a little odd having to wear a jacket in Drapers which in essence is really a burger/sandwich place.
The 'stuffy' dress code is dated and it should embrace a more casual approach to dining or then have a restaurant that is worthy of people getting dressed up for. Not to say that the food we had was bad, it just did not warrant the jacket/tie.
Clientelle appeared to be primarily older, white and conservative which may not augur well for any updates in the culinary arena.
Having also staye din Nemacolin in PA, which is similar, Greenbrier has more to do and has history and fame on its side, but Nemacolin has the culinary side of the comparison well ahead. They have more modern restaurants and a slightly younger more dynamic vibe to it.
Went for the Bunker tour which was excellent.
Overall a nice place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv