“U OF L VS WEST VIRGINIA---BUS TOUR”
Review of Wheeling

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Jeffersonville, Indiana
6 helpful votes
“U OF L VS WEST VIRGINIA---BUS TOUR”
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Stayed in Wheeling WV for 3 day and 2 nites...Traveling to Morgantown WV for sporting event on March 5th for BASKETBALL GAME. Wheeling is located on the OHIO RIVER. No waterfront parks or recreation were visible during stay. Stayed in McClure City Center Hotel in downtown WHEELING. The only true nite life is the WHEELING ISLAND CASINO RESORT HOTEL DOG TRACK.....Which I must say was truly wonderful. Country-Western oriented but vibrant. If traveling to Wheeling keep this in mind....Taxi service below average, very few dining options are available (especially dinner options downtown), Downtown is truly truly sleepy with no excitement at all. But I will state that if you just want to stay overnite for a good night sleep this is the town. But I would suggest staying at the Casino for any chance for a truly overall experience in WHEELING WVA

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
11 helpful votes
“Wonderful Wheeling Vacation”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Wheeling is so full of history and incredable old architeture. It's a town that you can walk for hours asborbing the history and beauty of. Wheling Warf area is a great place to walk, ride a bike or just sit and relax and take in the beauty of the Ohio River. The Warf area offers a park setting with a playground, memorials, many areas with benches and an amazing view of the historic Wheeling Suspension Bridge. Which brings me to one of my favorite sites in Wheeling. When in Wheeling you must take the time to walk across the Suspension Bridge. The feeling and views from the bridge will take your breath away. I really like walking across it in the early morning to see the mist rising from the river and the fog kissing the top of the hills. You can also take in a great view of the river walk / warf area and Zane Island which is now called Wheeling Island. I walked through the Historic Victorian North Wheeling. The homes and shops are amazing. South Wheeling I would drive to. There's so much there from the wonderful Center Market to the Mail Pouch factory. Also while in the area take a drive on Virginia Rt 2 south to Moundsville West Virginia. You will really enjoy the shops and small town area. It takes you back to a more relaxed time. Moundsville is the home of the former West Virginia Penitentiary. There are tours daily except Monday and holidays. I suggest touring on the weekend and ask for Joe to be your guide. I can't wait to return to Wheeling and experience more of it's rich beauty and history. You can see images of this city and area by going to a site Flickr and typing in West Virginia or Wheeling. It will be an area I return to many times. The people the history the sites are unforgetable. For more information please call the wonderful ladies at the Visitors Center. They will send you information and will suggest wonderufl places to see and eat. Tell them Rhonda with a the camera sent you...Wheeling will be a thrill for you and a vacation you will treasure for years to come.

Banner Elk
“Slum City”
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We went for a romantic weekend and ended up in a slum....We tried staying in the McClure house...haha that didn't work either. When Leaving the parking deck We we're warned that we shouldn't go "that way...it's a real BAD part of town" . When we we're in town everything was trashed,runned down and ugly. We went to Saint Claires Ohio and it was wonderful. Dont get me wrong Wheeling has some neat things but I WOULD NOT suggest staying there nor walking around much. Stay in saint Claires its great and close to everything

A TripAdvisor Member
“Wheeling Feeling!!”
Reviewed October 28, 2003

Wheeling, West Virginia, is a favorite place to go for a 3 or 4 day getaway. Wheeling Downs, with greyhound racing and casino, located on Wheeling Island is great. By all means, make dinner reservations (close to the finish line if possible) and enjoy a lovely dinner or dinner buffet while watching the races. The service is great, the people friendly and helpful!

Capitol Music Center, with a variety of entertainment, is within walking distance of Best Western Motel, as are many interesting shops.
Wheeling is clean, friendly, and right on the Ohio River. The Suspension Bridge is such a great part of history, and driving on it is always a thrill.

A few miles away (approximately 12) is Moundsville where there are tours available at the old Penitentiary. It is well worth the small price of admission and also a big part of West Virginia history.

Oglebay Park is also a neat tourist attraction although the prices for overnight lodging are pretty high.

We get the "Wheeling Feeling" every few months, and always enjoy the lovely city!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Wheeling? Share your experiences!