“There was a reason it was almost empty on a Saturday night.”

River City Ale Works
Ranked #28 of 112 Restaurants in Wheeling
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We should have known there was a reason there were only two other tables seated at 7:00 on a Saturday night. Leaves me to wonder why we had to stand around waiting for the hostess to come out and seat us. After hearing our party of four wanted a booth she said she had to wipe one off. Why? There were only two other tables seated in the restaurant. The table was sticky even after she wiped it down. The waitress comes out to take our drink orders and puts down a basket with rolls that had two tubs of half melted butter in it. Needless to say that was not eaten. However that was another sign we ignored. I ordered grilled chicken and red potatoes. The chicken was like jerky and the potatoes like rocks. I'm going to assume it was leftovers from the reception going on upstairs. Shame on the cook for putting that on a plate to be served. And shame on the waitress for serving that mess. Needless to say it did not come as a shock that shortly after leaving there three out of four of our party ended up with upset stomachs. We would have been better off having Dominoes delivered to our hotel room.

1  Thank Susan H

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The River City is a beautiful restaurant in a nice part of Wheeling West Virginia. It has a huge floor area with a large bar and plenty of seating. The atmosphere is always pleasant and it can be a nice club to visit after a Hockey game or concert in the local indoor or outdoor concert venues.

That is all the good I can muster. The food is always terrible; the service is always slow and usually incompetent. I live 10 minutes from this place and almost never go there unless they have a band I want to see or I am invited there by a friend. I and most of the folks who live in the Ohio Valley would love to see a legitimate restaurant manager come into this place and make it shine. It wouldn't take much to turn this into the place to be in downtown Wheeling...as it is, it is simply a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to eat there.

1  Thank davidpaula
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Not enough staff, they were overwhelmed and despite minimal efforts, they could not handle the crush.

1  Thank Traveler753
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The food is usually pretty good, but it is a very loud restaurant. Hard to have a conversation!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I rarely, if ever feel the need to review a restaurant but felt I needed to share my experience.

We stopped here on our way through town from a roadtrip to D.C, we made a point to stop because of what it once was (Nail Citybrewhouse), which was a good place.
We were greeted, if you want to call it that, by a boy dressed in all black with a baseball hat and a tshirt that read "SECURITY", a bit confused at this point, were we in a nightclub or a restuarant? He asked us, after he stopped talking to his buddies, "YOU GUYS LOOKING TO EAT SOMETHING?", well we thought that was the purpose of going to a restaurant. So we sat down at a booth, barely able to hear eachother talk due to the loud party going on upstairs. We found out that it was a wedding reception for the owner's cousin.

This place is like a hodgepodge of ideas that have never quite fully come together, a banquet facility, restaurant and a bar. The restaurant portion looks like it's been forgotten in dark corner.
Our table was sticky and the floor underneath the booth was dirty, the food was mediocre at best, it seems as though the banquet facility is their bread and butter and that's what they focus on because the rest of it was not impressive.

We should have left before being seated like we saw another group do, it was sad that we had to spend our money on mediocre food and a bad experience. The only saving grace was our server.

1  Thank Tyler363

Been to River City Ale Works? Share your experiences!