“Greatest Ribs Ever”

Abbey's Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #15 of 109 Restaurants in Wheeling
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Greatest Ribs Ever”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

The rotisserie ribs at Abbey's could win awards for ribs. They are THAT good! Rotisserie chicken is also very good as well. The dining atmosphere is very nice, and slightly upscale. Abbey's does get quite busy on the weekends, so a trip during the week is best. The only problem I've ever encountered on dozens of trips is that about two months ago they ran out of the rotisserie ribs and I had to settle for the chicken, which was good, but not as good as those ribs.

• Visited May 2013

Beverly, Massachusetts
“Good Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Good food although a little noisey. Good service and wines. Very popular spot for the locals. Prices were okay.

Visited May 2013
“"Good food for a good price"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

My favorite entree is the "Abbeys Special Steak". This meal includes a 10oz steak and two sides. I usually order a side salad with their house dressing and a baked potato. There salads do come with beat fries, throwing this out there because not everyone is a fan and in this case you can ask for a salad without the beats. Otherwise, the salad has some other vegetables and its about a 6/10. Other sides I like include: rigatoni, french fries, applesauce, and cottage cheese. "Abbe$y's Special Steak" is only $10.99.

Other entrees I've tried: Shrimp with two sides and pasta.
*There is a special menu* This is the only name I know it by and you have to ask for it. It's an additional menu to their regular menu that not everyone is aware of. From this menu, I have ordered pasta with sausage and it was tasty.

All entrees are served with a basket of bread and butter.

Restaurant environment: It is typically moderately noisy. There is a rectangular bar on one side of the restaurant. Also a landing with additional seating. The booths against the wall add a little bit of privacy. Any night other than Friday and sometimes Saturday is this type of ambiance. On Friday it is more noisy as locals like to stop in for a drink and they tend to have larger parties. Sometimes the same on Saturdays.

Restaurant is suitable for all ages. Although from an adult standpoint, I wouldn't take children in any later than 9:00 but this is just my point of view as adults do like to go here for drinks and social time after work.

Service-Service is usually good. Sometimes slow depending on the server waiting on you and how busy they are.

All in all, I eat here at least a couple times a month and enjoy my experience. In my point of view, prices are reasonable. You'll pay around $$. This restaurant is one of my three favorites in Wheeling.

• Visited April 2013
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Abbey's is absolutely superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

How sad, that I've lived in this region (almost) my entire life, and I've never entered Abbey's Restaurant & Lounge. My husband suggested we try it on Saturday evening, and I was reluctant, thinking it would be too crowded or too noisy...I was hungry, and I didn't want to wait.

My mistake. There was NO wait, and our waitress was friendly, courteous, and helpful. We explained it was our first visit, and she took the time to go over the menu with us. Yes, the menus are printed on paper and are the placemat, but no big deal. It's right there and very well organized. The restaurant surrounds the bar, but it didn't feel like a bar atmosphere. My husband and I felt we were dining alone, just the two of us, but we could watch the tvs if we wanted.

I ordered the rotisserie chicken. Oh. My. God. It was succulent, juicy, tender, and so incredibly delicious! The salad was awesome (I know, it's just a salad, but it was so GOOD! Those tiny little beets made it!), the bread was mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

My husband ordered the Old Bay seasoned shrimp as an appetizer, and I don't normally eat Old Bay, but I tried the shrimp. I helped eat the shrimp. Half of it. Not over done, or over seasoned. Perfect.

He ordered the mussels pasta, and never stopped talking about how incredible it was. He ate every bit, and even dipped the remaining bread in the garlic seasoned broth and ate that, too. He said it was one of the best mussel dishes he's ever had.

Oh, and the tea??? Sweet, and delicious, and perfect.

Well done. Highly recommend. Looking for a reason to go back SOON. Or not. Maybe I won't need a reason. I'll just mention the mussels....

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank TM1023
Bucyrus, Ohio
“Ok food, slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The food was ok, but I don't believe it was worth the price we paid. The service was extremely slow. There were two other tables seated after us that had their food before us.

Visited March 2013