“Great food!”

Ye Olde Alpha
Ranked #4 of 112 Restaurants in Wheeling
Cuisines: American, Greek, Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Ye Olde Alpha is a Wheeling restaurant institution, and celebrates its 85th year in 2017. We pride ourselves on fresh, quality food with impeccable service
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Definitely a Wheeling classic. The menu is huge but almost everything I have tried is good. Some standouts are the fajitas, blackened tomato sandwich, and the eagle burger. As for appetizers, the bruschetta is seriously awesome, and the artichoke dip is great. Some people like their wings, but I haven't really been impressed by them. Gets busy at dinner time, so try making a reservation. Also, check the bar area for seating if their is a wait in the restaurant.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I are from out of town and found this place on here with pretty good reviews, so we decided to stop in. The first thing we noticed is that it is a huge locals hangout, also with a lot of people from Oglebay coming down to escape the monopoly they have up there..... The menu was extremely diverse and many items looked good so we asked our waiter for some advice, which he was very knowledgeable and helpful. My wife decided on the chipotle chicken alfredo which we were assured it was not spicy.... This turned out to be true, but also didn't really have much flavor period, even though the eye test will tell you it should. It was still good after a few shakes of the salt. I went for the London Broil, which was delicious..... Don't expect a huge portion, I could've eaten another, but what I did get was very good. Next time I will start with an app first, then the steak will be the perfect amount. This is a nice place to eat, if you are looking for something a little different than your typical restaurants. It is a little dark inside, (reminds me of an old elk or moose lodge...which it might be, I don't know anything of the history) so expect that ambiance. I do recommend this, and would go back again.

1  Thank avgfamilyman
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We were in town for a few days and several people recommended this local favorite. I never go into a place for the first time with high expectations so I went in not expecting anything special.
They gave us a basket of chips with salsa when we arrived and the salsa was fantastic. I'm pretty sure they make it with chipotle pepper. It was hard to decide from the wide selection of menu items. They had a large selection of fajitas, steaks, and a nice menu of special items. I went with pork shanks and apple sauce dinner Greek style at the recommendation of my server because it was one I don't see much in my hometown of Charleston.
The pork shanks were perfect! Fall off the bone tender, flavorful, and just the right portion. The table beside us ordered dessert first, smart move, and the two items they ordered looked amazing.
The burger options were plentiful and being a huge burger fan I unsuccessfully pleaded with my family to go back the next day. If I am in Wheeling again, I will be back.

2  Thank Allomenrac E
Reviewed March 15, 2014

They must be doing something right. Been a place to go since 1932. Stopped in tonight to injoy a cold beer and check out the menu. I opted for a Rib Eye, sweet potatoe, Irish Soup (St Patty weekend special) and steamed carrots. All were very good. Service was top notch. Food came out as I had asked. Guinness and Mountain State Oatmeal Stout went down smoothly. Easy to find. Prices very reasonable. Looking at what others had ordered also convinced me there were more stops in the future.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Great food for a small price. Menu is very diverse and includes many seasonal vegetables and regional foods. I highly recommend the liver and onions. I've had it a couple times and it has been cooked perfectly each time. Huge selection of beers, also. A great place!!

1  Thank TheScientist1969

Been to Ye Olde Alpha? Share your experiences!