“Good Experience Overall”

The McLure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Our wedding reception was held at the McLure and we stayed in the honeymoon suite. Overall it was a good experience. The layout of the hotel allows the wedding receptions to flow quite nicely. If you book the hotel for a reception, deal directly with the general manager. She has worked there for 20+ years. The honeymoon suite had an up-to-date interior and was larger than the other rooms. The only complaints we had from our guests concerned the shabby condition of downtown Wheeling (not the hotel's fault) and a noisy party (again---not really the fault of the hotel). Also, one of our guests requested a smoking room and was assigned a non-smoking room. Be aware that as of the time of this writing the hotel bar/restaurant is closed.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wvhockey66

Reviewed April 10, 2010

I was traveling to Wheeling with a friend for a concert. We were looking for a place nearby the arena that we could walk if at all possible. I came across the McLure House and made a reservation. I was almost ready to cancel it when I read the reviews especially the "questionable characters." We never saw any by the way, however if we did, you have to take into consideration you are in an old part of town. It's not the hotels fault. I stuck with my instincts and kept our reservation. We got there around 4 and were greeted by a friendly person at the front desk who had no trouble splitting the cost of the room on 2 credit cards. I've had that issues at other hotels before. The lobby was impressive, very reassuring about keeping my reservation. Once we were in the room I was relieved, it was spacious, clean, and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank SeatSnob
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed here on New year's Eve 2009-2010. It's located in the center of the old section of Wheeling and is close to the casino, which was the purpose of my trip. I didn't check in until about 9:00 pm, which is kind of late I guess and the front desk clerk seemed a bit flustered, which I can understand because the hotel was totally booked that night and there seemed to be a lot going on. She was friendly though upon my check-in. There seemed to be events going on in the restaurant/bar area because of New Year's Eve, but I just went to the Casino.

There were many people in their early to mid 20s at the hotel that night ( I saw them in the hallways and in the elevators) that were having fun and obviously had been drinking b/c of the holiday, which I understand. It's just kind of annoying dealing with drunk people when you're sober. I did have a coupon for the breakfast the next morning, but when the morning came, the restaurant was closed because it was New Year's Day, so there was no breakfast the morning I was there. Check out was quick and easy.

I didn't spend an increadable amount of time at the hotel that night, and the majority of the time I was there, I was sleeping. I liked the friendlieness of the staff. The room I stayed in was very spacious.

The reasons that I only gave this hotel a 3 out of 5 fot this night that I stayed was mainly because of the no breakfast the next morning. Some of the intoxicated young people I saw in the hallways and in the elevators were kind of annoying, but that isn't the fault of the hotel. The bathroom in the room could also use an update. The toilets are like the ones you see in a public restroom....the ones with the metal stick going to the side you usually use your foot to flush, as opposed to a normal toilet. I've never seen toilets like this in an actual hotel room before, and I've been to a lot of hotels in my lifetime. The rest of the bathroom could use a bit of freshing up also, like updating the wallpaper and maybe just putting more things in there to make it look nice, but nothing major.

I would stay here again on a non-holiday night. I think I would enjoy myself better if it were just a normal night, but it was a nice hotel. One more thing to mention is that when I booked the hotel several months before my stay, it was a Clarion Hotel. However, when I checked in, it was the McClure Historic Hotel. I did get an e-mail stating that there was the name change at the hotel and they recommended that I call the hotel to make sure my reservation was still in the system, which it was. Overall, my stay was good, just a few things I would change to make it better.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I stayed at the “Clarion” for 1 night (19 September 2009) & was very disappointed.

The hotel is marketed on the internet & listed on TripAdvisor as a Clarion. However, there is also a web site under the name “McClure Hotel” & the woefully outdated room had stickers advertising it as a Ramada. Regardless of what it is, the property is a disappointment (& hard to find as there is no signage except for a very small “McClure Hotel” sign).

Yes, it has a downtown location & a decent (if predictable & fried-food) restaurant/bar & free on-site parking for guests in a city with very little parking & free wireless internet… But even those things cannot save this property until a major renovation & updating is done. If they’re in the process of becoming a Clarion then that’s good; if they’ve decided to make it on their own as “McClure Hotel” then they’re doomed.

The front of the house was abysmal. People in t-shirts with prison-style neck tattoos were futzing around & didn’t even ask me for my ID or my credit card. I’m glad I was the one checking in so nobody else got a free room on my dime. The first question I was asked upon my arrival was, “Are you here to gamble?” I wasn’t (& there’s no casino on site), but how about “How was your trip?” And it only got worse…

The hotel proper can only be described as what appears to be a converted flop house. The room was between old & antique with stained walls, a scratched up armoire with a tube TV, faded & picked carpet, a half-way upgraded bathroom (upgraded for 1994, mind you) & a view of what appears to be another flop house next door. Here are some things I would consider their nice attempt at mediocrity: an ironing board but no iron, lotion at the sink but no soap & a “Save Our Planet” card about reusing towels that was an almost unreadable copy of a copy of a copy that was then laminated at a skewed angle.

The one benefit of staying at the Wheeling Clarion/McLure/Ramada? They provided me a free internet connection to document my unfortunate stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank SN1752
Reviewed September 17, 2009

The good: It was not far from the casino; staff addressed my issues at check in; checking out was easy

The bad: Had to buy Ajax to scrub the tub ourselves; Had to spray air freshener in the bathroom to get rid of the odor left behind by housekeeping. Encountered some less than sober guests in the elevator who had trouble standing on their own. Lights shut off in the hallway leading from the parking deck when the elevator button is pushed.

The ugly: Was given the key to someone else's room at check in. Yes, I did walk into the room to find some there.; Questionable characters hanging out in the front of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I needed a place to stay the night en route from Philly to Cincy. I figured Old Wheeling would be a decent place. Truly, the place needs a little work, which they are doing. Also, it is true that the walls are a little "paper thin" (e.g. you can hear lots of activity).

But overall, this was a nice place to spend the night, away from the "cookie-cutter" chains. The bed was comfy, the TV has LOTS of channels, and it is in historic downtown Wheeling. Also, for a downtown hotel, it has very convenient parking (in a garage directly attached). And no bugs. Lastly, the price was fairly decent (~$85). If I needed to, I'd stay again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Got a room last-minute,as most other places were full. Staff was nice but the property has seen better days. The whole lobby and most of the hallways reeked of smoke. The hallways, stairwells and especially the elevators were filthy. Room we had was a non-smoking room, but we could smell the cigarette residue beneath the heavy veil of Febreeze (nice try!). Bed linens were clean, except the bedspread has seen better days (I promptly pulled it off and left it in the closet!). Room was large but VERY dark - 2 small lamps, dark carpet, dark furniture, narrow window overlooking a dreary alley. Bathroom was also clean, but the flourescent lighting was worse than most, and the towels were threadbare and small. If you have no other options or really need to be in the heart of Wheeling, this may work for you. Otherwise, it's worth a drive to a newer and less depressing option.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia/wheeling
Days Inn St Clairsville
Days Inn St Clairsville
#6 of 15 in Saint Clairsville

Been to The McLure Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!