“I will definitely come back”

The McLure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. I was impressed with the lobby which was very clean and nice. I was even more satisfied because my room was clean, organized, and safe. The staff members were responsive and helpful. The hotel might need some improvements, but overall I really enjoyed my time in Wheeling.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

We sincerely appreciate your review. We are always trying to be better. Now, that we have a pub and restaurant you should comeback to try them out.

Have a great day and come back anytime.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Located in downtown Wheeling, the hotel has an attractive lobby that was nicely decorated for Christmas. Cookies, punch and coffee were available by the registration desk. Two elevators with a capacity of six people each bring guests and hotel workers to seven or eight floors. It’s an old hotel and the rooms appear to have been updated, but are not plush. Our room we were assigned reeked of stale tobacco smoke and we were promptly offered another room. We were not the only guests to request a room change because of the persistent odor. Overall, room furnishings are adequate. One of our chairs had a tear in the arm of the upholstery. The television in the first room was a CRT and the second room had a flat panel screen so some updating has been undertaken. Bathroom tub enclosures have been replaced, but there were no grab bars to assist in getting in or out of the tub/shower. Toilets are low, not ADA height; bathroom linens subpar. The room was equipped with a refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, iron and ironing board, but only two coat hangers. For room comfort, all rooms in the hotel are either air conditioned or heated; guests have no choice but to try and adjust the fan speed to off or one of three settings. The hotel was on the heat cycle and we found it most comfortable to run the fan for an hour or so and then shut the fan off for the night. The exercise room had two pieces of equipment, one was out of order. The front desk service was friendly and accommodating. For a night or two, The McLure would probably meet a traveler’s needs. For an extended stay, I would seek other accommodations. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel which I assume is subcontracted to a third provider. Food offerings were reasonable and basic, but service and atmosphere could be improved.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Firstly, thank you for staying with us. We are happy that you stayed with us instead of another hotel.

Secondly, I had hoped that you would have given us a better rating, as I do with all of our guests.

I believe our positives outweigh our negatives and we provide an accommodating hotel for our guests. To address some of your concerns, we have just received three new exercise equipment machines (treadmill, elliptical, and bicycle), with more to come. We will continue to consider how we can make our guests more comfortable, and hopefully when you are in area again you will stay with us again.

Happy 2014!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

When we checked in here we were told that the rooms were $99 for one night and $109 for the second, being a Friday, we told him that we would only stay one night. So he informed us that he would allow us to use the business rate and only charge us $79 per night so we took it. The lobby in the hotel is very nice, clean. Dont let it fool you. I must say that the staff was very friendly and helpful, but not so much that I wold stay there again.
When we got in the room , some of the things we noticed were several stains on the carpet, no screen in the window, window was filthy. Heat register was all rusty, wallpaper coming off the walls. And the heat didnt work, but we didnt realize it til the last day. Also dirt all over the chair.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank michellemarie38
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Thank you for complementing our staff. I will let them know that they did a great job. The service here is great and we take pride in our service to our guests, but service is not the only aspect of a hotel.

We are always cleaning at a large property with 175 rooms. We do our best to keep up with the maintenance and housekeeping, but at times we make mistakes and overlook details. I do apologize for the chair, wallpaper, and carpet. This room is one room that has been overlooked and I will personally see to it that these things are addressed.

Again, thank you for complementing our staff and I will look to improve the quality of this room.

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I normally like to stay at small boutique hotels. I ignored the bad reviews and chose to decide for myself. The front entrance has what used to be a red carpet but is so filthy it can no longer be called red. The carpet was pulled up in several spots so it was a tripping hazard. Directly in front of the carpet was a four inch belly up cockroach.

I went to the front desk and I wanted to check the room out before I committed to staying. As I entered the cramped smelly elevator with a carpet as filthy as the entrance, I was thinking this place was pretty terrible. This was confirmed when I entered th smelly room with grimy Windows. I went down and cancelled my room even though it cost us one night's stay.

Please remodel this place and bring it back to it's glory days. Right now it's a sad health hazard

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review.

We are disappointed to hear about your experience at our hotel. I don't understand where the cockroach would have come in from, but it has not been an experience that I have encountered after two years of working for the McLure Hotel. However, I will check on this matter.

In reference to the hotel, our hotel is a bit older than your traditional roadside hotel, but that is the beauty of staying in a hotel with history. If we completely upgrade our facility we would no longer have that historical feel.

We have thousands of guests each month and they seem to enjoy our facility. I do apologize for any inconveniences you may experienced and we hate to hear any negative guest reviews.

Again, Thank you for your review and safe travels.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night on our way from Indianapolis to NY. Use your imagination to see what a magnificent hotel this would have been in its day. Yes it could do with renovating but it was clean, roomy, safe, staff most helpful and with good parking. Terrific location and we were treated, together with the locals, to great entertainment on the riverfront. Glad we visited Wheeling.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sea_change09
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

We are smiling with this review.

We are very happy to know that you came together with the local people to enjoy Wheeling. Traveling is all about seeing and experiencing the culture.

Thank you for positive review and hopefully you will stay again when you are traveling back to Indianapolis. Enjoy NY.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I picked this hotel from the website. We parked out front to unload like we had been told to do. While my husband checked in I sat in our car with the doors locked. The scene from the street already made me uncomfortable. Once my husband came out he informed me the desk clerk told him its a good thing he's not a local because they can't stay because of a drug problem they had. We parked in the parking garage went to the elevator and the smoke smell began. We went to our room which didn't have an inside lock. It was very outdated and not worth the $150+ we were paying. My husband opened the large curtains which revealed glass doors to the sidewalk. The downtowns main street sidewalk. No thanks. We immediatly checked right back out. We drove about ten minutes to tridelphia. I recommend staying there!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank nothan
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for your review. It is just unfortunate that you had a negative experience with us.

Wheeling is a historic town and the buildings are not brand new by any means. We appreciate the historical value that Wheeling has to offer and many of our guests do the same. All of our guests have different opinions and we value each perspective individually. We are sorry that you do not feel positively about your stay and if there would have been anyway to solve your problems we would have done just that.

The issues that you pointed out could have been solved by our staff, immediately. Some things are out of our control, for example, smoking in the garage is out of our control as we do not ban smoking in the garage. I will talk to the front desk about keeping conversations private, but they did say they were discussing another situation and you must have only caught half of the conversation. We do not have drugs nor permit drugs in the property. We take this matter seriously and we do not play with any drug usage.

The room that you had is our new Jacuzzi room that was just built. Yes, one of the two Jacuzzi rooms are close to the street level, but that is common for any hotel. Just two days ago we had a guest say that they wished they lived in this room. So, it is just based on personal preference.

Again, I wish we could have presented you with our many alternative room types that would have made you feel more comfortable.

I think you for your review as we consider each view valuable to our business.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed from August 15 thru 18th. We were back in Wheeling for my 50th class reunion and had not been back for five years. The hotel had the same class and charm it had when I was a young girl just a bit older. I had said, when I was a young girl, that some day I would stay at this hotel and was not disappointed. The staff was very helpful with directions, places to see, and things to do. I enjoyed talking to them and asking questions and not feeling it was a bother. They were more then willing to accommadate. Parking was plentyful and felt safe in the garage. The rooms were clean but the view from the window was not a pleasing site.Will stay here again if I get back to Wheeling in the future.The lobby was still breath taking and I loved the elevators (same as I remembered) Thanks for the memories!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Linda G

Thank you for your review.

Your story reminds us why we are here at the McLure. We are here to give our guests those wonderful memories. We are here to serve you as if you were our family. I am very pleased that WE were so helpful and that you could stay here after all of those years.

The next time you are here remember to ask for a room facing the Ohio River, where the view is more appealing and relaxing.

Thanks again for your time and we hope to see you very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia/wheeling
Days Inn St Clairsville
Days Inn St Clairsville
#6 of 15 in Saint Clairsville

Been to The McLure Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!