“Not my first choice”

The McLure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This Hotel has seen better days.

I will say the actual rooms were decent. Though, we didn't have a hair dryer in our room. It was suppose to be part of the amenities.

Do NOT take the elevator from the garage. It smells like urine and I feel like they tried to cover it up with Febreeze. I avoided it - gross

The hotel desk staff was great except on our last day Sunday April 14, the women was rude and not helpful with directions.

I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can better serve our guests.

We appreciate you noticing our rooms as we continue to make necessary changes and upgrades to provide our guests with a pleasant experience in Wheeling. You are correct that there should have been a hairdryer in your room. It is nof often but we do make mistakes and our staff would be more than willing to locate a hairdryer for you. We have extra hairdryers incase some are broken and they are located at the front desk.

We are taking a look at our garage elevator today to find out what the problem could have been.
We apologize for any inconviences that may have risen with the front desk. We will look into this matter and coach our staff to be more accommodating. Our goal is to be the best in guest service in all aspects. Thank you for complementing our other front desk agents.

We are a great hotel and worthy of a second chance. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope that you would reconsider if you are ever back in Wheeling.

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Our stay only lasted 45 minutes! Upon arrival I did not feel comfortable. I was thankful I had my husband with me. The walk from the garage to the front desk seemed run down and just generally made me feel uncomfortable. When we arrived at the front desk we had to wait for the desk clerk to finishing chewing their dinner to be checked in. He however was very friendly and sent us on our way. When I stepped on the elevator my overall thought was that this place was probably very nice but has become very run down. When we stepped off of the elevator we were greeted with the overwhelming smell of smoke even though we were on a non smoking floor. As we walked into the hall we also realized that there was a party going on in the room across the hall. Due to the smell of the marijuana and the smoke literally coming out from under the door we went back to the front desk to be moved. The desk clerk apologized and moved us to another room. When we ented the second room it was filthy, there was a hole in the window frame, hair on the floor and hair in the bathtub. The furniture was gouged and broken. There were large scuff marks half way up the wall. There were too many holes in the walls to even count not to mention the missing wallpaper. We paid $122 to stay in a hotel that was one of the worst I have ever checked into. I wish I would have seen this site before we booked but we went into it blind. When we went back to the desk we were told that a manager would not be in until the next day and that they would have her call right away. By 6:00 pm the next day I had still not heard from anyone so I called them. The manager told me she hadn't had a chance to make it up to the room yet to inspect our complaints in the detailed letter we left for her. I was disappointed they didn't handle such a serious complaint with a little more urgency. We ended up staying at the Hampton down the street and it was AMAZING! It was $20 more but included a shuttle anywhere you wanted to go and an wonderful breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Rjdt1119
mgarey, General Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

I appreciate your comments as I view each and every one with the utmost importance.

I do recall speaking with you concerning your visit as well as following up with a letter of apology. It is my sincere hope that all of our guests have a positive experience while staying at The McLure Hotel.

I would like to address each of your issues: The McLure Hotel offers the convenience of a covered parking garage that attaches to the hotel. It disappoints me to hear that you felt uncomfortable walking in the garage as we do our best to keep up with the lighting as well as the condition of the garage. In addition we offer security cameras throughout the garage. Each floor of the garage is very well marked concerning the location of the elevators and the stairways.

As I mentioned in my letter I contacted the gentleman who was smoking in a non-smoking room. He was warned that if his behavior continued he would be asked to vacate the premises. I assure you The McLure Hotel does not permit the smoking of illegal substances. I am happy to report the guest heeded my threat and we had no more problems.

You mentioned that I did not answer your complaint with more urgency. I apologize to you but I take my job seriously. I have always told the staff to check their problems at the door as the guests do not need to hear our woes. I will make an exception and share with you the reason I did not respond first thing Monday morning to your complaint. My husband had been a serious car accident (weather related) and while you were checking in on Sunday I was at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital holding his hand while machines breathed for him. I stayed at the hospital all day Sunday and into late Monday afternon. Life does not stop because your heart is breaking, therefore I left his side and drove to Wheeling to work late into the evening hours. As I arrived at the hotel you were the first call I received.

You mentioned you were disappointed in the appearance of the room in which you entered. We are currently making our way through 170 rooms to take care of the issues you described.

I was happy to hear that your weekend was not a total loss and that our fellow hotel friends were able to accommodate you and your husband.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I had stayed at the McLure before (just as another reviewer said as part of the Hockey package), well, we are coming down for Valentine's day Weekend to Wheeling and we DIDN'T THINK TWICE about staying anywhere else. The Hotel is just great. The location lends itself to everything that's going on in Wheeling. Can't wait to go back !!!!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

We hope your stay for Valentine's weekend was just as great. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again for other Nailer games. They are exciting to watch.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I got to stay at this hotel overnight and i thought It had a great 'classic' vibe to it. Personnel were very accommodating. Room was clean. They have a computer room which is free and available for customer use anytime. Free parking and complementary breakfast & in-room coffee.The location is perfect if you're traveling and need to catch an early greyhound bus ride just a 5 to 10-min walk away . It's also a short distance from Metropolitan Citi Grill which is a nice place to wine and dine.

Overall, it might seem 'dated' but the historical atmosphere is exactly what makes it unique. I would definitely recommend it to friends and family who plan to stay at Wheeling, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Thanks Donna for the great review. We hope that you will come back to town and see us in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here as part of a package available from the Wheeling Nailers hockey team, in which you get two tickets and a room for one price. It's convenient to the Wesbanco Arena and other locations in downtown Wheeling. Free parking in the attached garage, continental breakfast, in-room coffee maker and flat-screen televisions are all amenities. The plumbing was somewhat loud, but as an older hotel, that's to be expected. While it lacks the frills of some more modern hotels (aquatic center, gym, etc.), the overall experience was fine and I'd have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian F

Thank you Brian for your review.

Next time you come into watch the Nailers let us know that you would like to use the gym. We have a partnership with a nearby gym that our guests can use for a flat fee of $5. The gym is about two blocks away, but it has everything you need including a steam room and small track.
Thank you for noticing our upgrades as they have been a great addition to the guest rooms.

Please come back anytime to watch the Nailers and stay with us.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is walking distance to all the Wheeling downtown attractions. The rooms were dated and could use a little refreshing. The rooms were clean but the fixtures and furniture were scratch and make the room look well used. The only updated item as a flat panel TV. Free parking in the attached parking garage was a plus. I was checking out right at the end of the Continental Breakfast time and things were picked over and not replenished so we missed the breakfast. It wasn't worth the hassle to have a "free breakfast". The food is the prepackaged item.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank armyguy62
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us valuable feedback.

We thank you for staying with us and appreciate your points. We are always in the middle of renovations to increase the quality of the hotel and create more comfort for our guests.
We will review the furniture and try to take out any furniture that is not up to quality standards.
Very soon, we hope to open the restaurant with a full breakfast that will be available to our guests

When you do come back to Wheeling, we hope that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I recently had my daugther's wedding at the hotel and I couldn't ask for a more beautiful place to have it. And special thank you to Cindy Johnson the coordinator. She was put under a huge amount of stress from certain people; but she was just wonderful to my daughther and myself. Everything was just what my daughter wanted (OK most of it Cindy you understand what I'm saying LOL). The staff was kind and caring and very helpful with everything. I would suggest if anyone is having a wedding it is a GREAT and BEAUTIFUL place to have it. They will go up a beyond what any other place would do!!!!
Thank you again McLure Hotel for making my daugther's wedding a beautiful day!!!!!
Donna Taylor:)
Will post pictures when they come in!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank donnajeb
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your review. We had a great time working with you! Cindy Johnson says, "Congratulations, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to your whole family on behave of the whole McLure staff."

Come back to see us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites WHEELING
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#7 of 8 in Triadelphia

Been to The McLure Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!