“West Liberty Reunion”

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“West Liberty Reunion”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hi.

I just got back from a basketball and Homecoming Reunion . I worked with the hotel
and they were awesome from the front desk to the front office.

The rooms were good and we enjoyed the hotel and as I speak we plan on
coming back to make the McLure Hotel our home hotel when we come back.
Thanks to all you were awesome.

Lynn D. Ramage

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your review.

It is great to hear reviews and feedback from our guests. We especially enjoyed your group as our guests. We welcome you back anytime.

We will be looking forward to your next visit in Wheeling.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just wanted to make sure my first review was fair to the hotel. I can report that the 2nd visit was better. Even though hotel is old, I overlooked the fact it's old and concentrated on the overall value for the experience. The room was clean and cover on the bed was fine. I would like to apologize to the manager from my first visit in June for my first report. He is right, I should have called down to the front desk to take care of the problem. I would now recommend this hotel to travelers or people who want a close hotel to the casino.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for giving us a second chance and thank you for having an open mind to the unique experience we offer our guests.

Lastly, I hope you won some money while you were at the casino.

Come back to see us anytime.
Meadville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The McLure is a classic "boutique" hotel. Yes it is old, but that is its charm. We were pleased with the room. It was clean and fresh. The staff was courteous and helpful. Some of the fixtures are dated but this is to be expected. All the facilities worked, which is more than I can say for other hotels I have stayed in this year that are decades newer. The location was ideal for our venture to the Wabanco Arena. I felt secure walking the 2 blocks to the arena even after event. My only suggestion would be for the McLure to invest in a restaurant or at the very least food offerings at the hotel bar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the McLure. It is true the facility is older, but that is where the charm is held. We have history in the property that tells an interesting story about American history.

It's funny you should mention a restaurant, because we are currently in the process of developing an on-site restaurant. When you come back we should have some great food for you to enjoy.

Come back and stay with us again anytime.
Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Everyone we met were very nice. The decor was a bit out of date but was clean. Location is great. I was a bit upset that I made the reservations a month in advance and requested a smoking room with a king bed. We got a non-smoking room with two double beds.

1 Thank Dona B
Thank you for your feedback.

We apologize that you were not able to receive the type of room you wanted. We are going through a high occupancy season and we are having a bit of trouble accomplishing all of our guests requests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed everyone at the hotel. Please come again and we will do our best to accommodate you in your requested room type.
Reno
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Came into Wheeling late in the afternoon without a room reservation. Called just about every motel/ hotel in the area and everything was booked due to a boom in oil and gas drilling. The McLure had rooms and gave us a great rate, almost as cheap as a Motel 6 or Super 8. We really just needed a bed, so it was fine. The hotel is a bit dated and worn, but the room was clean. There was a lingering smell of cigarette smoke and mustiness. The staff was very helpful. The hotel is right downtown and offers free parking in the parking garage. It seems like the hotel caters to the oil and gas workers, who rent by the week or longer. Not really a problem for us, but it could get a bit noisy I imagine, I would stay there again in a pinch, but would prefer something a bit nicer. The Metropolitan City Grill around the corner was recommended by the hotel, and served a great NY steak. Just a couple of blocks from the riverfront, which was a nice walk with some pretty views.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away form elevators and ice machines.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for you review. We welcome all opinions so we can approve for your next stay.
Please come back anytime. Thanks again for staying with us at the McLure Hotel.
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I am in town for a funeral with my 2 little girls and I chose the location since it is easy to get off and on I-70. The other reason is to see a historic hotel that used to be the happening place in town when celebrities stay. I booked the room on Hotwire for $84 a night. On checkin, I got the receipt and the room seems to be $60, which took my by surprise a little bit. Looks like Hotwire had just got a good deal from me. Not the hotel's fault but I am already having a bad start.
The elevator from the garage to the hotel lobby is very old and small. When we get out, we walked through a hall way to get to the front desk. On our way, we walked through the laundry room, with the door wide open, and severl other utilitiy rooms with doors open. The carpet is old and dirty looking.
I can still feel the old world charm in the lobby, except everything 'looks' old and dirty. the carpet and tiles are of good quality, only old and not very well scrubbed. The front desk employee is very polite and helpful and changed my room to a King size bed upon my request. The room is a good size, all the furnitures are updated. The bathroom sink looks like the kind of material you would find in a motel, but it is very clean with proper amount of clean, old towels.

When we come back at night, there are some idle people hanging around near the entrance. Quite a few vehicles in the garage are covered with dust. On the way back I saw a big billboard of McLure Hotel saying the extended stay rate is available. I am not judging anything. But if I see "Extended Stay", I stay away. I know it is a safe place, but I made sure to hold on tight to my girls' hands.

This hotel really needs some serious updates. And of course it is a catch-22 situation. with its current condition, it won't make enough money for substantial new improvement. With less-than-satisfatory performance, how can its owner justify the investment? That's too much for a customer like you and me to worry about. and I say you are better of staying in a clean, newer Super 8 or Comfort Inn in a better part of town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyTravel618
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at The McLure Hotel. We fully appreciate any guests opinion or feedback.

At The McLure Hotel we take pride in providing our guests with a comfortable and safe accommodation. Our hotel is safe property, and to insure our guests safety we have taken the precaution of 24 hour surveillance-a step that should be taken at all properties.

I would like to address your problem with the on-line travel agent company, which really isn’t a problem at all. The $84 rate is a discounted rate that is not offered very often. The amount on the registration card is a misprint and would not even matter to you, since you paid on-line travel agent.

It is true that The McLure Hotel is a historic hotel in a historic town. We feel that our historic background coupled with our architecture brings a different experience for our guests. I feel that our spacious hotel rooms, historic background, accommodating staff and covered garage gives us an edge over the typical Super 8 or Comfort Inn.

Lastly, We have been having many business travelers staying with us and this is why we offer the extended stay rates. Additionally, these business travelers are accustomed to working in the mountains and hills that will make their vehicles dusty.

Again, we sincerely thank you for reading our response and we hope these insights give you and other guests an incentive to stay with us again. We always welcome our guests back with our best hospitality.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is in downtown Wheeling, which could be a nice little town with a little upkeep. Anyhow, I stayed at the McLure on my way East on highway 70. It got a 3.5 review, so I decided to stay. However, when I arrived, there was a bullet hole in the elevator to take me from the parking garage to the lobby and it made me a little afraid of being in the hotel alone. The front desk staff was nice and the lobby was quite clean, but when I got to my floor, ALL of the hallway carpet was soaking wet, like they had just been cleaned. The entire place smelled of cigarette smoke and my bathroom was incredibly dirty (the toilet, sink, floor, and shower hadn't been cleaned). I talked to a front desk woman and she told me that none of the rooms were clean and that I could wait another 2 hrs if I wanted a clean room. It was already 9:30pm, so I decided to stay. When showering the next morning, the lights in the bathroom started smoking and smelling burnt, so I quickly jumped out of the shower and left the hotel. I would not recommend staying at this hotel to anyone, especially since it cost $121 for the night!

Room Tip: My room looked at the roof between buildings, all you could see was trash and air conditioning units...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Nedele16
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at The McLure Hotel, however, under the circumstances, we are not pleased that you left our hotel with a low experience.

I am confident that we are doing our best to satisfy our guest, which is why we were cleaning our hotel corridors, maybe not at the most convenient time, but our efforts were directed to improving the experience of the guest. We do apologize for any inconvenience. Additionally, we do strive for high standards of cleanliness and I am confident that if you had mentioned a problem, our team would had moved you to a more comfortable room.

I would like to address your claim of a bullet hole. In the elevator there is not a bullet hole, but it is a dent in our elevator wall. Your claim is inaccurate and this claim creates a very negative view of our hotel, which is inaccurate and false. Please revise your review for this detail, and give details that are based on fact.

Again, We appreciate you as our guest and we want you to enjoy your stay. Hopefully, in the future you will give us another chance.

Thank you for your review and please consider editing your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#6 of 8 in Triadelphia
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia Wheeling Area

Been to The McLure Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!