“Terrible service and my husband can cook better than the what we eat there!!!”

Metropolitan Citi Grill
Ranked #23 of 112 Restaurants in Wheeling
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Upscale Dining/ Martini & Wine Bar/ Craft Brews 25 different Bottled Beers Catering/ Take Out / Private Parties
Reviewed February 2, 2012

You need help with every thing!!! We were there 2hrs to just eat and not even asked if we wanted dessert.Dressing was water down on spinach salad. Waited one hr for a glass of water. The only reson we stayed is we were waiting on someone at the Hockey Game.Food avg.

1  Thank Hughes Q

Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have been a frequent customer at the Metropolitan for about a year now. I have never had a bad meal. It doesn't matter if it is a simple burger for lunch or lamb chops for dinner both are prepared with excellence!!!! Kudos to the chef. The wait staff is always very friendly and courteous, and the atmosphere is something that you just don't find in downtown Wheeling. I would recommend the Metropolitan Citi Grill to anyone.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

We always try and eat local and avoid chains when we travel, so when we asked our hotel "where's the best place the locals go here in Wheeling?" this was the first thing they named. We wish we'd gone for the 2nd choice as this one disappointed.

We never saw the famous chef our waitress told us was the owner (or maybe he was actually off that night?) but what came out of the kitchen, we found to be so-so and overpriced. The worst part was "add ons" and at least one (anchovies, which we adore on our Caesar salad) being charged extra for! Anchovies are supposed to be part of the Caesar as any good chef knows, but to ask if you want them and add a charge to the bill without saying so in advance is unpardonable in Wheeling, New York or anywhere!

The Lamb chops ($27) I had looked as though they would have been excellent had they been prepared a bit differently. They were grilled but had such a burned flesh over-grilled taste as to be nauseating. The advertised demi glaze was a salty, sticky and ill-prepared ooze which did mask the burned flesh flavour a bit but added nothing to the chops.

My dinner partner had an entree salad which he did like better, but we both left hungry as his was an OK portion and I ended up leaving more than half of my chops as they literally did turn my stomach. Sad, as I adore lamb in any form!

When I drew my unhappiness to the attention of the excellent waitress AFTER I paid the bill she said off-handedly "well I'll let the chef know" but it was obvious they didn't REALLY care. I purposely waited until after I'd paid as I didn't want a free meal, a discount or a credit for next time. I wanted them to know and care. Sadly, it appears the community doesn't care for the place that much, either as on a normal (ie: no special events) Wednesday evening in mid-June the ample restaurant had fewer than six tables when we hit the door about 7 p.m.

The funny thing is when we walked up, my partner said "let's check the menu before we go in" as several locals, hearing where we were headed frowned and said "it's pricy!" but they had no menu on display to see. A good meal is worth a decent price, but sadly we didn't get one here.

We should have walked before we were ever in the door and headed for what we were told is a wonderful microbrewery a block or two away or a pizza place we also heard has been in Wheeling for years.

Anyway, the chef here might be credentialed and the restaurant the town's best by some folks taste, but we won't be back on any of our trips through again. It was just disappointing in a lovely town with great people and a lovely riverfront to have what was a quite lousy meal!

1  Thank lilamadison
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Food was decent but i don't expect instant mashed potatoes in a twenty dollar meal??!! My date and I were dressed down bc we were trying to relax, we were treated like homeless people. The funny thing is he makes millions ;) I also got the idea they are very prejudice. The few black people that came in were told they were full for the night and it was nowhere near full the hours that we were there. Whoever runs things needs to get it together or karma will sure come back to bite him. We are all God's children.

3  Thank MJ1008
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Unbelievably BAD experience. The service was as bad as any I have every experienced; the food was mediocre, at best. It took us over an hour to get our salads and another 45 minutes to get entrees. We had to ask repeatedly to have drinks refilled. One small slice of bread was served to each of us; we had to ask 4 times to get another. The seating is cramped and inconvenient. Absolutely everything about it was awful.

4  Thank ghm_jcc

Been to Metropolitan Citi Grill? Share your experiences!