Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
$65
  • Room Service
$154
Travelocity
Days Inn St Clairsville(Saint Clairsville)(Great Value!)
$59
$54
$93
ComfortInn
$97
1,030 results
All reviewsfestival of lightsglassworks grilloglebay resortglass museumpaddle boatsihlenfeld dining roombreakfast buffetglass worksthe cottagesmini golfrolling hillsnew wingbeautiful resortmansion museumoutdoor poolping pongwalking trails
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My daughter, granddaughter & I booked an overnight package in the Wilson Lodge for a Monday-Tuesday in early December to view the Christmas lighting. We booked a suite with fireplace in the new addition of the Wilson Lodge. Our package included a driving pass for the lights and a wonderful breakfast buffet. We had a wonderful time and the lodge was decorated grandly for the holiday. We love to swim, so the pool was a popular place for us. Would recommend to do in the early part of the week because the crowds of people are absent. We had no trouble with the driving for the lights and the pool was not very crowded. We had a great time & are talking about making it a tradition.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money to stay in the Premium rooms in the new addition to the lodge.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 21traveled
Oglebay, General Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

It’s so nice to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Oglebay during the Winter Festival of Lights! Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we do hope that Oglebay becomes part of your holiday tradition.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The one star is for the Holiday buffet, which was hideous. The prime rib was dry and tough. Also, the person cutting it was hacking phlegm and coughing as he was standing over it. Yum, appetizing. He didn't even have the courtesy to turn his back to the food or cover his face when he coughed or leave the vicinity of the food or maybe just stay the hell home. Just brazenly coughing over the food you are serving is pretty much the height of jerkness. He might as well have been spitting on it. Hopefully he didn't have bronchitis or something. Thankfully, the prime rib was so dry and tough that we didn't choose to eat more than a bite because I didn't know he was coughing up his lungs until when I went back to the buffet area a second time hoping to find a single edible food there.

The rest of the food was like bad cafeteria food. A lot of it seemed like it was cooked a day or days ahead of time and then left sitting in the buffet pans in a walk in. The bourbon chicken for example had a sauce/gravy congealed sitting on the pieces so it was obviously old because sauce in my experience takes hours in the fridge or on a very cold counter to congeal like that. The bread pudding was stiff instead of moist. The other desserts all tasted very cheap and were unpalatable. The entire buffet was a rip off.

Oh, I almost forgot that one of their employees clipped the back of my heel as she wogged through the buffet area. I don't know what she was even doing in there since she was not even one of the buffet waitresses. I think she must have been a waitress in another of their eating areas. She was by far the tallest girl of all the ones I saw working there and had mousy colored hair. She came through as fast as she could without actually running. I was walking at a normal pace in the buffet area and had no idea that anybody was coming up behind me at a near run. She clipped the back of my foot and then barely turned her head to barely mumble just "Sorry" as she continued on her important mission without even pausing. Then she came back through going the opposite way walking extremely slowly with another female waitress. Suddenly, she had nothing to do at all. It was just before 5 so I wonder if she was in a big hurry to clock in on time or something and shame on me for being in her way since she is the center of the universe and all.

As for the rest of Oglebay, it was nice. Everywhere was very clean. Even the public restrooms under the sweet shop were very clean. The holiday lights were nice but I would not wait hours to see them or even one hour. We went on a slow night so it was ok. Nothing really special. I liked the carousel horses the best. The candy shop was very touristy. Most of the ingredients on things said "artificial flavors" and "hydrogenated oil" and so on. The only thing I bought was fudge, a coffee caramel, and toffee brittle. The toffee brittle was amazing. I wish instead of the holiday buffet, I would have bought $30 worth of that brittle. It is sitting in a glass jar on top of the left side of the chocolates counter. The fudge was grainy and not great. The coffee caramel was not that special either but it was good. I have had better.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank n_atiggue
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the Wilson Lodge last month. I went with a friend of mine from work. It was her first time, but was a return trip for me. Needless to say, everyone enjoys all the decorations within the lodge. The beautiful mantels & hearths simply added to the resort's atmosphere. Unfortunately, this trip I was actually disappointed in the kitchen staff's attitude. The 'chef' slicing the prime rib & ham during our first night at the evening buffet had no personality - nor did he even smile. Employees working at a resort MUST realize that people coming here are on vacation, traveling and spending big time money. We do expect to have a good time and seeing employees doing their jobs & doing them well. Even the 'chef' who was making the omelets at the breakfast buffet appeared to be like a 'robot'. We needed to see smiles and hear responses like "hope you are enjoying your stay with us", "Where are you from", amd we hope you will come back and stay us again". This is not hard to do. I am also in the food industry and this is what is expected and better be delivered!! The entertainment was nice and their voices great - enjoyed hearing the Christmas carols :)

Room Tip: We were in room 240, but the folks in the room near ours sounded like they were in & our a lot, but then could have been children too > not sure. If one does not having walking problems, I would suggest rooms farthest away from all the festivities :)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tw0greeneyes
Oglebay, Food & Beverage Director at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We work hard to provide all of our guests a “Legendary Experience”. Unfortunately, there are times that the popularity of our outlets, especially the amazing breakfast buffet in the Ihlenfeld Dining Room, lessens the time available for our guests. We apologize that we did meet your expectations and hope that you will visit us again to experience that legendary experience that we are known for.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

My family had a small reunion there over a recent holiday weekend. We had the Christmas
lights package and worked out just fine. The resort grounds are outstanding ! The people
working at Wilson Lodge are very much customer oriented. If your staying at the Lodge
over the Holiday lights show, do not make the mistake of driving into town for dinner. It
may take you hours to get back into the resort. The traffic for the holiday lights backs up
on the road for miles. At 10:30 at night there was still bumper to bumper traffic getting into
the park. The lights show is just that amazing ! Also you may want to think about dinner
reservations or a early (5pm) dinner at the resort. The food at the resort is almost too good.

Be sure the the candy shop on the resort grounds, the shop has gifts as well.

Room Tip: if your traveling with kids, get the larger room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ohio85
Reviewed December 29, 2013

went for 3 days over Christmas package included lights and breakfast,went to breakfast one morning out of the 3 the eggs were cold they had nothing sugar free or low sugar.to have French toast or jam on regular toast.we went to the grill stood in line for 35 min.as we watched 5 waitresses chat amongst themselves and another throwing silverware because she was cleaning off tables and taking orders. we went to Ihlenfeld dining room for Christmas dinner made reservations for 530 pm we got to sit down at our table at 650pm hostess sat us way down at the bottom of the 3 flights of stairs clearly seeing that I had a broken ankle with cast of my leg,only to be told we had to go back up the stairs to get our buffet dinner again lamb was so tuff it couldn't be chewed the apricot chicken was so dry it made me gag!,everything had honey, cranberries,raisins etc again way too much sugar for me. the soup was empty never did get refilled to my knowledge I asked one of the gentleman that was staring off into never land if they were going to put out more shrimp I stood there 5 minutes waiting for that to be brought out shrimp and a white roll is what I had for dinner which was just about 35.00 a person the best part of the stay was my waiter Micheal who made the absolutely absolute vodka with no sugar ice tea!! thanks Micheal for that!! as far as im concerned he was the only one there who knew what he was doing!After all of this when I was ready to check out, I again complained about our service they were nice enough to take off one breakfast off out hotel bill when we never ate there! Is there something wrong here?So thanks for nothing you all ruined our Christmas for all the frustration you put us through,we had to take a few more days away went We went to Berlin,Ohio stayed at a confort suite we had a wonderful time and people treat you like a person there next year I will be in Berlin for Christmas!!

Room Tip: go to motel 8 or comfort suites they have jacuzzzi rooms for a third the price and there breakfast is hot with sugar free items go figure!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dianne h

The holiday season is one of our most beautiful seasons and for this reason also one of the busiest times at our lodge, but that is no excuse for failing to provide legendary customer service at all times in all areas and we apologize that we fell short. We were especially sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experiences in our restaurants as our Executive Chef’s passion is to provide our guests with the best quality menu items available. We hope you will reconsider and give us another try!