I just got back from a weekend getaway at Oglebay with my husband. It was a close drive from Pittsburgh and a relaxing weekend. We enjoyed the High Tea in the afternoon each day and the wine tasting available Friday night.
We were a little disappointed with the service at the onsite restaurants. Like many others said, the service wasn't that great. Most of the staff were young and untrained. They also stood around a lot not doing much. One server we had took forever making our salads and ended up bring our food out right after she finally brought out the salads. She also never refilled our drinks and was MIA just about the entire time, but she did make sure to catch up with her other server friends on a regular basis.
We stayed in a king room, which was rather spacious. The tub/toilet area was rather small and very outdated. The shower head was not tall-person friendly and there were no where to hang our wet towels to dry. Not sure it this was standard, but no one came to clean our room during our 3 day stay. We also asked twice for extra pillows and eventually got them on our last night stay.
We opted for the Summer Fun Package, which was a great deal. I was a little disappointed with the Zoo. I knew it was smaller, but it was a lot of walking and not many animals. All the hype for the dinosaurs was disappointing too. They spent a lot money on dinosaur merchandise, but only had a total of 5 dinosaurs throughout the whole zoo. I even overheard kids walking around saying they were disappointed and thought there would be more dinosaurs. It was hard to get all the activities in too. Most of the places were only open from 10-5. We had a whole day and one night to get everything in, but it rained at night and left us trying to cram everything into one day. It was quite exhausting and a lot of running around to try and do this.
Overall, it was a nice getaway, but I wouldn't make it a vacation, especially with kids. If you are into golf I would imagine it would be a nice stay as they have quite a few golf courses. If you are looking for a zoo for the kids, go to the Pittsburgh Zoo instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oglebay is a unique 1,700-acre, year-round resort with exceptional beauty and abundant recreational activities. The 270-room Wilson Lodge at Oglebay features The West Spa, two dining rooms, an indoor pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, fitness center, business center and wireless Internet. The resort also has 54 cottages, perfect for large families or several families that want to vacation together. Oglebay has something for every member of the family including 4 golf courses, eight specialty shops, a zoo, gardens, two museums, fishing, pedal boats, aqua cycles, tennis, stables, and miles of walking trails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wilson Lodge At Oglebay Resort And Conference Center
- Wilson Lodge At Oglebay Hotel Wheeling
- Wilson Hotel At Oglebay
- Oglebay Resort Wheeling
- Wilson Oglebay Lodge Wheeling
- Wilson Oglebay Resort
- Oglebay Wheeling
- Oglebay Hotel