Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I came to stay here for a short getaway. The rooms were clean and decent and we were able to get two rooms that attached which was a plus. However, the beds were uncomfortable and the pillows were terrible. I suggest you bring your own pillow! What we were extremely disappointed with were the on site restaurants. We went for dinner the first night and were told we had a forty-five minute wait, that was fine except for the restaurant was EMPTY! Getting our dinner and check seemed to take forever yet there were multiple wait staff just hanging out. We even heard the manager criticize the hostess right in front of us. It was very unprofessional. Things went from bad to worse at breakfast the next day. We put our name in for a table and the hostess called a few families in front of us, when we inquired about it, we found out she crossed off our name from the list. The hostess promised to put our name back on the list and we would be next, yet once again she seated multiple families with the same size party who had only been waiting a few minutes. Once we were finally seated we discovered the restaurant was not even close to being full. We also requested a refrigerator for our room. They were quick to send one up but it was dirty on the inside. Overall, I have not been impressed and I still have another night to go.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Oglebay, Food & Beverage Director at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

We are terribly sorry that you were less than satisfied with your dining experiences while staying with us. We work hard to minimize the waiting period for our busy restaurants. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments as they enable us to better understand our guests expectations and help to improve our seating process.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

the weather was not the best, but that is what it is, but the golf was fantastic. the good folks in the pro shop, as well as the starters, rangers, and caddies made a memorable trip even more so with their good nature and genuine desire to help. this holds true, as well, for the staff at the lodge. their breakfast buffet is outstanding and the only thing holding them back from another star is that we go elsewhere for dinner because the dinner cuisine is nowhere near as good as the morning. still, the service is their as well as the great attitudes. will be going back again soon rather than later. thanks

Room Tip: have stayed in the lodge each time there. the rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

While Oglebay park has much to occupy your time including some excellent golf, I'd strongly recommend a different place to lay your head at the end of the day. Dated, dark with much paneling and a feeling of not really clean.

On the upside, nice chairs outside rooms to park with the family and hang out. Many folks bring coolers and just relax on the porch / sitting area. The grounds are lovely and the stone work makes it look very pretty and rustic.

But sadly, this old time gem hasn't come along with the times. Dark inside, barely a front desk and for the price, I've seen bigger rooms in NYC. Tiny bathrooms are dated too. We wanted to love it-- just couldn't.

FYI: Breakfast is the best meal of the day. It's downhill from there. Service is mediocre at best (staffed it seems entirely by teens for whom this is their first job. Any adults running the place?)

Enjoy the park, enjoy golf. Find a different hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for new wing if you're going. If possible, ground floor. Bring a cooler and stock up. You ma...
1  Thank CMKNY
Oglebay, General Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at the lodge. We offer several different room categories in various price ranges and the larger premium guest rooms may be more to your liking. Details on the rooms are on our website or our reservation specialists can provide descriptions. Within the past 7 years we have added 59 new premium rooms and the West Spa, and have remodeled the lobby, the main dining room, the fitness center & the business center. More additions and renovations throughout Wilson Lodge, and Oglebay, are eagerly anticipated and we hope you will reconsider and stay with us again.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is our second visit to the park, after many years (I grew up here and spent many, many hours in this lovely place, it's home). So excited to finally stay in the lodge and was not disappointed by our room, our view or nothing else but the food. Mediocre at best. Had buffet breakfast two days during our stay, and it really wasn't any better than a Hampton Inn...really, folks, you would be five stars if you could just fix this!

But, I do have to say that my spa services were the BEST I have ever had, and I've been to some good spots. Real reflexology, and a facial that really showed why you should do this. Can't recommend the spa highly enough.

The park is magnificent. Lots of wildlife, and acre and acres of walking. Tennis, amazing golf courses, pool, picnic areas...really, anything at all you would want Ina family vacation venue. Take a look at their website and do consider it. Beautiful, but expect the food to be just ok...

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My sister and I visited July 2013 and having read previous reviews I paid for upgraded room. Not only did our room have mold on the tub tile, but the carpet hadn't been swept since there were melon seeds on the carpet. Both weren't discovered until after we unpacked and were too tired to request new room. After we had retired for the night I heard a buzzing noise and noticed the fire alarm was going off. Looked out in hall but no sign of smoke so called front desk 4 time and got no answer so I woke my sister up and we walked down 6 flights only to find out we were alone. This was not easy for my sister who has a heart condition. Turns out this is a frequent happening at this lodge. I finally got an answer at front desk by saying I wanted to make reservation. This time they picked up. We're told it is because of kids. I could understand this but at least answer the phone to say it is false alarm!!

Grounds are beautiful. A bit disappointed in gardens which was reason we picked this place. Glass museum and shop great. Restaurants and food was good especially the pecan cinnamon bread which they really should sell. All the people we dealt with we're great except really thought we should get room reduction due to state of room. Sometimes "sorry" isn't enough. A premium room should at least approach "premium"!!

Did have wonderful time at the Spa. Very nice!!

Room Tip: Check out before you unpack. We had room 604
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I must say, the family and I really enjoyed ourselves. This was our first trip here, but overall we really enjoyed it. I must say we were in the Wilson's lodge, and the room we were put in had a broken door. It would not close, so as soon as we got in the room, I had to call up front to tell them the door was broke. I was told that they would send maintenance. Seriously! do you really think after all the money I had just given them I was going to wait for maintenance to fix the door. I went up front, and was put in another room. overall I was very disappointed with the what they call the renovated Wilson's lodge. The rooms are very dated. I feel as though I was in a 69 dollar room at a budget inn. It was very pricy for an old room. There are hotels down the hill and around the corner from the resort. that is where we are going to stay the next time we visit the resort.

Room Tip: Avoid the Wilson's Lodge if at all possible
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have stayed at both properties recently, and each offer pros and cons.

Value: Hands down Oglebay offers better value than Nemacolin. A premium room at Wilson Lodge was $265 each night (based on a two-night stay on the Family Escape Package) and included free admission for a family of four to the Good Zoo, Glass Museum, Mansion Museum, Wheeling Park Pool, train ride, mini golf, paddle boats, etc.; a breakfast buffet each morning; complimentary high tea each day and children's activities; a $30 gift card; a free pizza and softdrinks. A room at the lodge at Nemacolin is $390+ per night and includes NOTHING. The premium rooms at Oglebay are also nicer and more spacious than the lodge rooms at Nemacolin, although not as swanky as Nemacolin's Chateau rooms, which are typically $500+.

Scenary: Both offer beautiful surroundings, with Oglebay having more coloful flowers and sidewalks, and Nemacolin having more interesting sculptures and artwork.

Activities: Oglebay is better suited for younger children. Nemacolin is better suited for tweens and teens because of its Adventure Center.

Pool: Outdoor pools are very difficult to compare. Oglebay's is huge and historical, but unheated. There's a snack bar onsite. The sister park (Wheeling Park) is a public pool but offers a waterslide that kids enjoy. Nemacolin's pool is small for the resort's size, but the water is warm, and the pool offers a swim up bar and restaurant service. Indoor kids' pools at both establishments are unimpressive and small.

Service: Equally good at both places, with the occasional spottiness. The difference is you feel more impatient about spotty service at Nemacolin because you are paying Ritz Carlton prices.

Food: Equally good for casual dining although it was strange that Oglebay did not list chicken fingers and fries on its kids' menu, yet it was available. Fortunately we asked if they had it, and they did. The breakfast buffet was also good, but understaffed. Very reasonable pricing for wine and cocktails. However, if you're a foodie, then you would probably prefer Nemacolin's offerings.

Overall: We enjoyed our stays and activities at both places. Both are comparable in many ways. However, when you add up everything (hotel, food, activities ...), you will pay one-third the cost of Nemacolin for a Oglebay experience.

Room Tip: Spring for the premium rooms. Granite countertops, separate bath and shower, flat screen tv, wet ba...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Hampton Inn Wheeling
Hampton Inn Wheeling
#1 of 8 in Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Hampton Inn Suites Wheeling - The Highlands
The McLure Hotel & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Wheeling Triadelphia at the Highlands
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites WHEELING

Been to Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!