“Three kids and two adults”

Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Three kids and two adults”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We visited the Wilson lodge July 28 and stayed one night. We stayed in one of the premium rooms and I would say it was worth it. The room was spacious, the kids had a great time. We had the summer package which includes the activities. We went to the zoo, indoor pool, mini golf and the next morning went to environmental center.

The only Thing I did not love was the glassworks grill. The food was ok. I would go out to local places next time for dinner. The breakfast was fantastic at ihlfend (not spelled correctly) dining room.

Staff was friendly enough. They checked us in early which was great.

I would return there again for sure.

1 Thank Maggie W
Oglebay, General Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your comments will be passed on to our staff. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Garrettsville, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband surprised me with an overnight stay for our 30th Wedding Anniversary! I have been dreaming of staying at the Lodge as we had visited for the Christmas light display, but the rooms were always booked. He got a room with a view which was very nice. To our dismay there was no privacy as we shared a balcony with the room next to us which later we thought we had better close the privacy curtains in case the other people would see us in our room! We ate dinner and breakfast. Kitchen did not plan well for deserts... They were out of 2 of the three requested...then ran out of ice cream which goes with my dessert. The next morning we walked down to breakfast and saw an awesome spread of food. Husband was gone from my table so long I was getting concerned, finally he came back. When asked what happened he said he was standing in line for 30 min. for an omelet! Apparently the chef making the omelets was arguing with the kitchen as she was trying to get proper supplies and was not receiving the supplies when needed! Food tasted good...but felt so bad as husband was treating me and he got such poor service.

As for the grounds we enjoyed seeing the deer! Also went putt-putt golfing-which needs better signage...couldn't figure out where exactly it was when we were driving. Come to find out we weren't the only ones to have that problem. We enjoyed the paddle boat...would have liked to both paddle, but only one side worked. Maybe people would go too fast with both paddles working??? Cooled down with some ice cream...:)

Husband dissatisfied...as for myself I enjoyed and was delightfully surprised!

Room Tip: New updated Lodge room on 6th floor/with a view, was very nice! Just don't expect privacy withou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Oglebay, Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
We are terribly sorry that your dining experiences were not pleasant. Both the Ihlenfeld Dining Room and Glassworks Grill are very popular but that is no excuse to not have the products expected. Breakfast at Oglebay is one of our featured meals and your husband’s experience is not typical. Your comments will be directed to our Executive Chef to review with the culinary team. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit and your comments will be used to make improvements.
New Albany, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We got the last 4 bedroom rental for this week. It was the Oak Cottage. What a sorry excuse for a cottage. I didn't expect the Taj Mahal mind you, but I also did not expect what we got. The furniture was stained and dirty. I don't think the tile floor had been cleaned in maybe 6 mos. Two lights were out and the remote didn't work. We could not figure out why the oven wasn't working since the lights were on. Turns out it wasn't plugged in all the way. There were only 3 forks and 5 glasses for a cottage that potentially could house 8 people. The pool did not have chairs but had these hard wooden benches to sit on - not very inviting. And it seems there are kids that come there from a day care or day camps - there were probably 50 of them that ran rampant yesterday. And to get linens you had to exchange your towels at the linen exchange, which isn't a big deal but they are only open 8-10AM and 4:30-6:30PM, not very accomodating.

I will say this - maintenance was very responsive to our numerous calls. The zoo, paddle boats and put-putting all very nice as well.

We will not return.

2 Thank SDGNewAlbany_Ohio
Oglebay, General Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Our Housekeeping Departments prides itself on making sure each cottage is “guest ready” upon check-in and it appears we fell short. Please accept our sincerest apologies. We have reviewed your comments with the staff as a learning tool and have addressed the importance of each item that you have mentioned. I can assure you that what you experienced is not our standard. I do hope you will give us another chance as our beautiful resort is the perfect place for families to start many wonderful traditions.
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Recently held family reunion and found the lodge and park to be great for all ages. Golf, tennis, swimming, lake with paddle boats, putt putt golf, and great shelters with full kitchens. New part of lodge has large rooms with refrig and pod coffee system as well as free WiFi. Bathrooms spacious and very clean. Beds a little too firm for me but not bad.

Room Tip: Rooms quieter away from elevators and large suites. Lots of weddings and suites get noisy. Sixth flo...
Hermitage, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Rooms:
We booked the new rooms and they were very nice. The bathrooms were state of the art. Mini-refrig was also very helpful. Being on the 6th level was also very convenient to the restaurants and bar in the lodge. The negatives on the room was that the flat screen is nice but too small and with NO HD what's the point? Also, sharing the outdoor patio with the room next to us would have been ok if we actually knew the people. Little awkward not knowing who the people were. Also, the "courtyard" view doesn't hold a candle to the view of the countryside. So if that's important pay the extra money.

Resort:
Yes lots to do at the resort and playing 18 holes on the Par 3 course was a good value. The Palmer and Jones golf courses looked awesome and would be the only reason i would return someday. The MAIN lodge did NOT to have an outdoor pool,which was disappointing. The resorts outdoor pool is a hike or a shuttle or a car ride away and pretty much eliminated the covenience of staying in the main lodge.Because of that we never went to the outdoor pool. An investment in a small outdoor pool in the courtyard near the indoor pool would have made the facility 4 stars. I didn't go to the Zoo, but some of my family did and they were appalled by the facility. Close the zoo down. The review from the kids and adults alike were very negative. It surely doesn't help the resort.

Restaurants:
We ate at both the "sportsbar" and the sitdown restaurants in the Wilson Lodge. The food was good, not great, but not horrible. The service was fine. The pretzel pizza was excellent and unique. The buffet was pretty good, minus the LIVE chef. Watching him sweat while cooking didn't help my appetite.

Overall, Oglebay hosted my dad's 80th birthday party and will always be remembered for that, the facility was fine and i'm sure in the Winter time is beautiful, but not alot of flash and in need of some upgrades.

Suggestions...Pay the extra money and upgrade to the new rooms in the place. We brought drinks and snacks and the frig in the room was great. Also a 6th level room was nice, since we didn't need to use the elevator very much.

1 Thank BobbyG16148
Oglebay, General Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We certainly hope you will come back and enjoy one of our championship golf courses! Your note regarding an outdoor pool at Wilson Lodge is an important one and one that we hope to address in the future. So sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to our Good Zoo as we take great pride in our AZA-accredited zoo. Our zookeepers provide treats, toys, ice and other enrichment items to create a stimulating environment for each animal but during these hot, humid days the animals are inactive, especially in the middle of the day. The Good Zoo was also recognized as one of only 21 out of over 220 AZA-accredited zoos in the country for our strong commitment to the conservation of wildlife in the wild. Happy 80th birthday to your father and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

In my mind when I booked this trip to Oglebay for a wedding, I was picturing a spa/resort similar to nearby Nemacolin. What I found when I got there was a loud, over crowded check-in area. The whole initial lodge had a old, noisy redneck feel to it. I heard stories from other people who had booked in the old lodge that the accommodations were quite bad, and we feared for the worse.

Luckily, we had paid for the upgraded (new) section of the lodge, and I must say those rooms were quite nice. That said, for $200/per night (special rate?), I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled out the iron board and the iron was chained to the ironing board. We're talking about a $10 iron in a $200 a night room. I've never even seen that in a Motel 6.

We ate dinner at one of the two hotel restaurants, it was ok, no complaints, probably about Cracker Barrel quality. We also went to the "Good Zoo", West Virginia's only accredited zoo, and for the $6 admission, it wasn't bad and in fact had a really cool model train garden.

The pool was definitely a let-down though. Besides the fact that you had to drive to it (not a big deal, it's a pretty large complex), there were no lounge chairs. Just essentially flat wooden boards that you could lie on. We stayed at the pool approximately 30 minutes because of this discomfort.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded rooms, or you'll really regret it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ry0ohki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Oglebay again. It was a return visit for our trip to do the "Zoo Brew" event. As always, it wasn't without absolute delite!!!!
Of course the Zoo Brew survived the storms....whew! But, the was better than ever this year. Food was great and the vendors were a nice mix. What was the best was they were spread out better than in the past. More elbow/breathing room. Nice job zoo staff, especially with the extreme heat. A special shout out to Morgan at the zoo: she actually got me over my fear of many animals I would never have gone near/touched before. She was very knowledgable as well.
Can't wait for next years tasting. Cheers!

Our room near the spa was awesome as usual, beautiful view, plenty of space and two bathrooms....BONUS!! Plus two balconies (one private) Love, love this place. I try to conserve when traveling, so I don't do housekeeping for only a couple day stay. However, Cathy made a special effort to find us in the hallway before breakfast to offer/ensure our coffee supply was ok. That is customer service! We love you Cathy!!!!
Another wonderful stay at Oglebay, we'll be back...you should too.
P.S. the fawns all over the grounds this time of year are really sweet for kids to see or a wonderful backdrop for a wedding. Sorry to whomevers wedding photos I ended up in.... :-) send me a copy. LOL

• Stayed June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Hampton Inn Wheeling
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia Wheeling Area
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Wheeling Triadelphia at the Highlands
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia/wheeling
The McLure Hotel & Suites

Been to Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!