“Above & Beyond the Norm”

Hampton Inn Wheeling
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Evans City, Pennsylvania
“Above & Beyond the Norm”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This hotel does far more to make for a pleasent stay than most resort hotels. Very clean, great staff and the ammentities are wonderful for the frequent traveler. Pool/water zone is amazing. Fitness equipment is in good condition. Monday night is a special treat for guests. Food was great. They handled a capacity crowd (I was in town for a business conference) without a hitch. Close to Wheeling attractions and Pittsburgh. Great place for business or mini vacation.

Room Tip: Stay on a Monday night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JamieM23
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thanks for that wonderful review! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It was really great to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations, that is our #1 goal!
I also would like to thank you for mentioning our Manager's Reception. As you mentioned in your review, we cook a full meal for our guests every Monday night. I'm so pleased that you were able to enjoy it!
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will visit again soon (maybe even on a Monday!) Happy travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Indianapolis, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Friendly, welcoming staff throughout the hotel - desk, breakfast, security, maintenance, housekeeping. Very comfortable room. Aquatic center a special treat - rain shower, hot tub, pool, sauna. Very complete breakfast service. We missed the regular Monday evening complimentary cookout dinner. We are repeat visitors over a 5 year period.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Rush Y
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
First of all, thanks for being a repeat guest, over a number of years. We really appreciate your loyalty, not only to the Hampton brand, but to our location specifically. Thanks also for taking the time to write such a nice review. I'm so glad you enjoyed everything!
It was especially nice for you to refer to our team as friendly and welcoming, and our pool as a special treat! I will certainly share your comments with our staff at our next team gathering.
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will return to visit us again very soon. Happy travels!
pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2014

we were accommodated for an early checkin. before noon. the room was clean and well appointed. bathroom was neat and sparkling. we took advantage of the shuttle service during our stay we met 3 different drivers, all good, but the Saturday late night driver to and from the casino was a charmer. he told us about the first time free play at the casino, long story short we ended up winning big time. thanks for the tip. the pool area was very well maintained. the entire staff all seemed quite happy with their jobs. the entire property really shines. I can see now why this the number 1 HAMPTON.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Eric S
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thanks for that great review! It is always nice to hear from a senior reviewer. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is to exceed expectations, and it seems like we did so during your stay.
I'm pleased that we were able to accomodate your early check in request. It is not always possible to do so, but we try our best. I also loved how you described the team members as enjoying their jobs and the hotel as shining. To me, anything is possible, even being the #1 Hampton in the world, if the team buys in and really enjoys what they do. That is the very spirit of hospitality. I'm pleased that you feel we are performing to that high level.
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will stay with us again very soon. Happy travels!
kirtland, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Great hotel! Clean, well stocked bathroom. Comfortable beds and quiet room. Staff was polite, helpful and knowledgeable about the area. They offer a shuttle to the casino as well. Will stay there again.

Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thanks for that fantastic review! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.
I especially appreciated your comments about the comfor and quality of our rooms. With all the exciting amenities we offer here, many times little things like bathroom accessories and comfortable beds go unnoticed. Thanks for noticing those littke details and offering your feedback.
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope that, as you said in your review, you will stay with us again. Happy travels!
W. Bloomfield, MI, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have stayed here the past 4-5 years on our way to Rolling Thunder. The pool, the hot tub and the comfortable outdoor sitting areas are all a welcome relief after a long day on the Harleys! Also having a terrific sports bar just across the street allows for an adult beverage or two without the worry! We are already looking forward to our stay next year!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thanks for that great review, and thanks for making us part of your annual trek across America! I'm so glad that you found our hotel to your liking. We really are a convenient stop for bikers because of our covered parking, pool, hot tub and, as you mentioned, nearby restaurants and bars. I hope that we will continue to be your overnight stop for many years to come.
Thanks again for the review. We hope to see you for the next Rolling Thunder, if not sooner! Happy travels!
ann arbor
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Returned to stay at the Hampton in Wheeling after a positive experience the 1st time here. It did not disappoint. I like the clean , quiet room and the nice breakfast. This is a very well run hotel and will always stay here when I am in Wheeling.

1 Thank sunfanAnnArbor
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thank you so much for that great review and for staying with us a second time! We really appreciate your repeat business and are so glad that our hotel has exceeded your expectations.
Thanks also for your comments about the cleanliness of the rooms and our free breakfast bar. Those are two essential areas that we have poured a lot of hard work and dedication into, and I feel that it is really paying off. I'm pleased that you felt those areas were stand outs.
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope that, like you said, you will always stay with us when in Wheeling! Happy travels!
Indiana, USA
Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you ask any frequent traveler what word comes to mind when they hear "Hampton Inn", you are likely to hear a word back like "Chain, Reliable, Consistent.... etc.". Many less adventurous travelers and especially business travelers enjoy the thought of having a comfortable, clean and consistent experience when traveling. Hampton Inn is what can easily offer you this experience and is a member of the Hilton family of hotel chains. These hotels have the same "Hamptonality" motto and have a credo which is uniform throughout all of its 1,800 (and growing) chains. However, Hampton Inn is run on the micro level as a "franchise system"; which often happens with large chains that can not be efficiently monitored at such a grand level.

This being said and keeping this in mind I can say without a doubt that out of the dozens of Hampton Inns that I have stayed at in my travels, this one takes the cake (and shares it with its guests). While the area around this hotel chain is not the grandest and options are limited in food and other activities, it almost takes this to its advantage by making its facilities pick up what the surrounding area lacks. This is clear by this location being a Connie Award Winner for 2013. They received recognition as a "Top 10 Hampton hotel in 2013, recognized for comprehensive excellence and guest satisfaction".

The facilities on sight are extremely clean and orderly, check in/check out was a breeze and the reception area is large and they have a small convenience market by check in. The breakfast buffet was the most comprehensive and well put together of any Hampton Inn which I have ever stayed. After a long day of traveling or before setting off for the days travels, sitting in front of the large tropical fish tank was a very relaxing experience. The room was clean and the mundane condiments (soap, towels, sheets... etc.) were name brand and set out nicely. In the closet where ironing board was located were 2 bathrobes (very nice touch).

The fitness center had very up to date and modern equipment (a nice selection). However, the most remarkable aspect of the entire property was the "Aquatic Center". The pool was large enough for light swimming in the deep end (with a resistance currant) and the shallow end had a rain curtain water fall. There was plenty of seating and plenty of towels. There was an indoor Jacuzzi, full body shower to clean off the chlorine and male/female steam rooms. Outside there was a terrace with another lounging/seating area and yet another Jacuzzi. Push the large button on the wall for "fun times" and you will be able to experience an array of floor jets, trick fountains and buckets of water pouring from an otherwise "innocent" looking metal sculpture.

Outside the main entrance (you park in open air/covered parking spaces by a cliff) is an area for smoking guests to have their nicotine fix and through a wooden pagoda fence is an outside BBQ and fire pit area. This hotel and all its amenities with the free hills of West Virginia in the backdrop (almost as if the hotel was formed from the hills makes for an extremely relaxing stay for travels who are either on their way to a destination. However, it could easily be a destination in and of itself. I highly recommend this hotel if you are in the Wheeling, WV area!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the Aquatic Center, outdoor BBQ pit, or parking then stay on the 1st or 2...
1 Thank McCall E
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Wow! I hardly know where to begin to respond to your review. Thank you, I guess, is the place to begin, so THANK YOU!! I really appreciate an experienced reviewer like yourself taking the time to write such a detailed and passionate review. I had two different members of our team come up to me and say: "Have you seen the latest review? I looks like something we paid to have written!"
The title alone is very memorable: "The "best" Hampton Inn that I have ever stayed in as a guest." Given your wide range of travel experiences, that is very high praise. We are honored and humbled that you feel that way. I'm glad that we could exceed your expectations.
Once again, thanks for the review. We will certainly share it with the rest of our team at the next meeting. I hope you will visit us again soon! Happy travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Suites Wheeling - The Highlands
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia Wheeling Area
The McLure Hotel & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Wheeling Triadelphia at the Highlands

Been to Hampton Inn Wheeling? Share your experiences!