“very nice”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
west virginia
“very nice”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

the hotel is very clean and everything is new and updated. the aquatic center is fabulous! there is a very nice heated indoor pool, indoor hot tub, rain forest shower and steam room. there is also an outdoor hot tub that is even open in the winter. we sat in the hot tub while surrounded by snow covered trees. The breakfast has a lot of variety and the hotel staff was very friendly. the only downside is that it is a bit noisier than some hotels. we could hear a lot of outside hallway noise in our room and the shower running from the room above was very noticeable. but we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: the pool is on the 2nd floor so you may not want to be in a room near the pool entrance.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for that great review! I'm so glad that you had an enjoyable experience staying with us! I will share your review with the staff at our next employee gathering!
I really got a kick out of your desciption of the Aquatic Center, especially the outdoor hot tub! I have not had the experience myself, but sitting under snowy trees in cozy hot water does sound really cool!
Thanks again for the review! I hope that you will visit us again soon! Happy travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Upon check in the lady at the desk was very nice. The room was nicer than you'd expect for a Hampton Inn. It included two robes in the closet which is a nice touch you'd usually expect in a nicer hotel. There was a nice cheese and cracker spread out which was tasty before dinner. The pool is great for kids but a little chilly for adults. The breakfast offering were very nice. At the other Hampton Inns I've stayed in the breakfast offerings were much more sparse. The only thing I was put off by was the roach crawling on the breakfast bar. I pointed it out discretely to a staff member who acted like it was totally normal. That certainly decreased my appetite. I would certainly stay there again but perhaps would eat my breakfast next door at Bob Evans or across at Perkins.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank momof1gr8girl
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. I'm really glad that, overall, your experience with us was a positive one.
There is one part of your review that I found distressing, and that was the mention of an insect in the breakfast area, I'm very sorry that that happened to you and that our team member did not do more to assure you that the situation would be resolved. Believe me, the situation you described was taken very seriously and has never been an issue at our hotel. We investigated the matter and you will be relieved to hear that the insect was a beetle. Sometimes they come in when the weather changes. Never the less, perception is reality, and I'm sure that your breakfast experience was negatively affected. Please contact me at 304-233-0440 or at Jack.Poling2@hilton.com and I will try to make the situation right.
Thanks again for the review! I hope you will stay with us again soon! Happy travels!
Whitingham, Vermont
Reviewed December 18, 2012

A really nice place to stay.The staff was excellent and our room was comfortable and very clean.
They had the place all decorated for Christmas. The breakfast was very good as well. Don't mind paying a little extra for the personal service that you get. Still a very good deal.

Room Tip: We got the last room of the night and it was perfect.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda R
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for that wonderful review! I really appreciate you taking the time to write a little something to let us know how we are doing. Your feedback is super important to us!
I'm glad that you were able to get our last room, and that it met your standards for cleanliness. I will share your comments with the housekeeping staff at our next meeting. They do a great job, and we are glad to have such a great team!
Thanks again for the review! I hope you will visit us again soon! Happy Travels!
Southampton, New York
Reviewed December 11, 2012

There are Hampton Inns, and then there is THIS one. The aquatic center alone is worth the visit. Indoor pool, a waterfall feature from the ceiling overhead, two steam showers (yummy!), a jacuzzi....the rooms were fresh and newly decorated and the staff was friendly and helpful. And the breakfast? Far more than a continental, this one offered omelettes and applewood smoked bacon! Only criticism: the coffee is lousy when you are used to Starbucks. :) We drive through Wheeling twice a year, and this will now be our chosen place to stay.

2 Thank kimbrwrite
Thanks for that great review! It is so nice to hear from experienced travellers like yourself. Your comments really made my day! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Aquatic Center. To my knowledge, we are the only Hampton Inn with steam showers, and I got a real kick out of your description of them as "yummy!"
I also apprieciated your comments about the breakfast. I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part. Sorry about the coffee. Maybe, the Robust blend would be more to your liking? If not, we now have a shuttle van that can make the trip to Starbucks in the blink of an eye!
Thanks again for the review! I hope you will return to stay with us soon! Happy travels!
New Castle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 3, 2012

For the past few years my wife and I have visited Oglebay as a mini getaway around this time of the year to take in the Festival of Lights and the Good Zoo at the Park.. They're worth the two-hour ride as destination for our R&R experience, (Cabela's and Cheddars restaurant are also only a few miles East down I-70). The Wilson Lodge resort at Oglebay was full this time (on a Sunday?), so I used trip advisor to choose an alternate for the overnight which we'd planned. This Inn was rated #1, and at the foot of the hill for the park to boot, so I booked our room here and discovered that the rating was well deserved.
The Inn is elegantly appointed: from the outdoor patio-style smoking and barbecue areas near the main entrance, to our room which, while not large, was very comfortable and stately. It reminded me of a warm familyroom with rich woodwork, a well lit study area and had all of the essential appointments. The motel staff is also outstanding. We had an issue with the TV when we arrived, so we called down to the front desk; and rather than attempting to tell us what to try over the phone, or just having us repack and move to another room, sent a staff member within a few minutes to personally observe and resolve the problem; which he did. The aquatics center is possibly the best we've ever experienced at a motel. The "Rain Forest" shower is a "must try" when you visit.
I haven't forgotten the complimentary "hot breakfast" either. The food is all tasty and features a generous selection of choices to satisfy just about anyone's preference. We were both impressed with it.
It sounds like I'm doing an ad for this property but I wish that my reviews of all of the places that we stay could've been this complimentary. Give yourself a treat if you're in Wheeling overnight and stay here. By the way, I almost forgot to mention that the place was immaculate inside and out.

Room Tip: I'll assume that all of the roooms are as nice, quiet, clean and comforatble as ours was.
2 Thank Dave H
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you so much for that great review! It was so detailed, it is hard to know where to begin with a response! One thing that did stand out to me, and I thank you for mentioning, is the staff member personally helping you with the TV problem. Resolving issues personally is part of our service culture here, and I'm glad we were able take care of that for you in a timely manner.
Thanks again for that wonderful and detailed review! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! Please visit us again soon! Happy travels!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 2, 2012

3rd visit in two years to meet family and once again this hotel exceeded our expectations. This hotel has by far the friendliest staff I have ever seen, even our little kids recognize how they go out of the way for the guests. Bringing us fresh baked cookies in the evening while we are hanging out by the fireplace in the lobby and Karen went out of her way this morning to ensure that my son had freshly made french toast sticks for breakfast. The aquatic area is still enjoyable for all ages and the fish tank and welcoming public areas continue to make us happy! Thank you so much to the hotel staff for making this our favorite hotel!

Logistical tip: If you visit on a weekend night in December and are not going to see the lights at Oglebay plan on eating dinner at the Bob Evans that shares a parking lot with the hotel or eat an early dinner, once it is dark the traffic in front of the hotel is steady all night because of the traffic to see the lights. This is just a small inconvenience because there is so much to do at the hotel.

Room Tip: The aquatic center is on the second floor so if you want to be close to it that's a good floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wow! Thank you for your kind review! It is really gratifying to read a review, from a seasoned traveller like yourself, where you call our staff the friendliest ever. That is certainly our goal! I'm so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations!
Thanks also for mentioning Karen. Because, you mentioned her by name, she will receive special recognition at our next staff meeting.
Once again, thanks for the review! I hope we are able to serve you again soon! Happy travels!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We typically stay at the Spring Hill Suites on the hill not far from this hotel, but we decided to shake things up a bit this Thanksgiving, after hearing good things about this hotel since the remodel. My mom and I actually stopped in back in September and the staff took the time to give us a tour of the facility and show us a room and a suite.

The most notable feature of the remodel is a great aquatics center and new fitness area, both on the second floor. The aquatic center features a small pool with a 1 foot kids' area with waterfall and other water features, including (I think) a swimming jet. There are two hottubs inside and out - sort of fun for winter (but take your key or you'll be stuck outside in a bathing suite). There is a his and hers steam shower scented with eucalyptus or something similar - good for clearing the sinuses. There is also a public (ie, you can't get naked) rainwater shower. Noodles abound and my kids loved it.

The lobby and outdoor areas have also been remodeled, with a smokers pavillion and a couple of fire pits. The breakfast area is neat but crowded. There is also a tiny market area where you can buy snacks and beverages at typical hotel prices - with a Scheetz and Kroger nearby, only necessary in a pinch. The rooms are smallish but with comfortable beds and closet areas. The bathrooms are OK but still a tub/shower combo, so not completely modernized. There are two first-floor suites that are worth checking out as well.

The location is very convenient, with a Kroger down the street, several restaurants and a bar nearby and easy access to I-70. It has the advantage of the also nice Spring Hill Suites of not being on top of a huge hill.

My biggest compliment is the staff, who were exceptionally friendly and accommodating. Only negative was rooms were small for our family of four (we tried to book a suite but they were both taken). My parents non-smoking room had been smoked in, but the hotel moved them to a cleaner room and did not charge them for the night.

All in all I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the king rooms have sleeper sofas, others do not
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thanks for the nice review! We really appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay!
Thanks for pointing out all of the exciting features that were added as part of our renovation. The Aquatic Center, Teak Garden and Fitness Center have all been very popular since they opened last year. Thanks also, for noting our convenient location, with several restaurants within walking distance. In a related note, we will soon have a shuttle van (late December 2012) that will be able to take guests all over Wheeling. We will be the only Wheeling hotel to offer one. That should really make dining out, or visiting attractions, convenient for our guests!
Thanks again for the review! I hope you and your family will visit our hotel again soon! Happy travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia Wheeling Area
Hampton Inn Suites Wheeling - The Highlands
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Wheeling Triadelphia at the Highlands
The McLure Hotel & Suites

Been to Hampton Inn Wheeling? Share your experiences!