“So worth the money!”

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Weston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: More European castle than American hospital, this former insane asylum offers historic and paranormal tours six days a week from April through October. Full Museum & Patient Art Gallery entry is included with your tour purchase. This Gothic National Historic Landmark holds 130 years of American history's dark side.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went on the over-night ghost hunt with guide Fred on July 20th. The building itself is awesome and creepy at the same time. We had so many personal experiences and also managed to capture some on video and audio. Fred was informative and fun. He knew the place like the back of his hand and obviously loved the place and its inhabitants. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank JoanneSudekum
Write a ReviewReviews (4,631)
All reviews
in 34 reviews
"west virginia"
in 88 reviews

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went with large group including seniors and children-all enjoyed it. We went on the historical tour and then part of the group went on the paranormal tour- the second is a better tour of the very large buildings- yes they are in rough shape from being vacant and vandalized but that just adds to the aura of the facility and is exactly what you think a haunted insane asylum would be like.

1  Thank lisa d
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I would recommend going on a cool day because it was very very hot inside and the tour took almost 2 hours. At least take some water and a fan with you. Our tour guide was great and had many stories to tell about the asylum. Some areas are in very bad shape but others have been renovated back to the way they used to be. One story was about a person renovating their home and discovered the foundation was made from headstones stolen from the cemetery (of course they were returned). I wish I could list all the reasons people were admitted but I can't. I will list some of my favorites though: intemperance and business trouble, kicked in the head by a horse, laziness, novel reading, over study of religion, political excitement, bad whiskey, egotism, snuff eating for 2 years, gathering in the head.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Since my childhood I have always passed the Weston exit on the way to visit family in Charleston and never got around to visiting the TALA. My grandfather who grew up in WV would always tell me stories about it. On my most recent trip, I finally exited off of 79 and took the 4 floor tour. They have different tours that vary in length so you may select the one that fits best with your schedule.

I enjoyed the 4 floor tour a lot and was surprised to see that we got to visit several buildings. Plenty of history and spooky stories--my boyfriend who isn't a history person like myself enjoyed himself too! Now my parents want to go on the tour! This facility has affected many families in WV and even if you don't have any roots in the state, you will still be impressed.

2  Thank jzyhsy08
See more reviews
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband, 18 yr old daughter, and I visited July 6. I'd tried to find things to interest all 3 of us and this was perfect! We took the historical tour and our guide, I think, was named Greg. It was informative and still spooky enough that our daughter liked it (she would have rather taken the ghost tour). I'd recommend wearing tennis shoes and taking the 90 minute four floor tour. Wonderful site! Had a terrific time! Very glad we stopped and would definitely return if in the area again.

1  Thank Ksee73