“Very interesting afternoon”

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Weston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: More European castle than American hospital, this former insane asylum offers historic and paranormal tours six days a week. Full Museum & Patient Art Gallery entry with your tour purchase. This Gothic National Historic Landmark holds 130 years of American history's dark side.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very interesting afternoon”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Interesting place for an afternoon. Informative tour. They offer fun tours such as ghost tours seasonally. Worth the money and time.

Visited April 2012

Terra Alta, West Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing Historical Tour”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My family & I drove about 3 hours to get here and it was well worth the trip! We went on the historical tour in the fall of 2012. It is usually chilly and windy in wv this time of year, so it is important to dress appropriately, because it's not much different inside the building! Our guide was a friendly older gentleman who told us a nice mix of historical facts and personal stories.I would not recommend bringing young children, because our guide did mention some disturbing stories (He said he usually censors the stories when there are younger children present) but, for children 12 & up the historical tour is appropriate. You do have to sign a wavier to take the tour (the building is very old, so I found it understandable that it may not be in tip top shape). Over all, some paint was peeling and there was an ever-present musty smell, but the owners are doing a lovely job of restoring the building. My family & I loved the tour so much we are going back again this year!

1 Thank Morghanb23
Charleston, West Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very interesting place!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

What a great visit! This structure and ground is beautiful. We did 2 tours and our first guide was very knowledge and helpful, her husband also works there. Our second guide not so much. This is just a job for her and she never answered anyone's questions. I didn't really believe the paranormal stuff, but I after this trip. I seen, felt, heard things. Also caught a couple things with my camera. Worth the visit if you enjoy the paranormal stuff and or touring a place with interesting history.

1 Thank TravelingDuoWV
Scottsville, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Fun for Halloween and the History”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Seeing this attraction on Travel Channel's "Ghost Hunters" and it being a few weeks before Halloween, we just had to stop and visit this historic building as we drove from Charlotte, North Carolina to Upstate New York. We actually spent the night in Weston just to see this attraction.

The walking tour definitely raised our hair for more reasons than one. The history of how patients were cared for was captivating as we walked through the building in the pitch black of night with only a single flashlight.

Ghosts?! Nah, I don't believe in them but the building and its story was so creepy that when a person from our party entered the room from another entrance, I screamed out. Water drips from facets, echoes lead you to question your hearing, no lighting lead you to question your surroundings. (But it's all safe.) It's just totally creepy even when you're with a group of people.

There's one room with a bunch of toys that the guide tries to conjure up a ghost to play with them. It's pathetic and silly. A rubber beach ball with paint on one side make it move erratically when pushed. Believers freak out which is more fun to watch than anything paranormal.

All-in-all, it's definitely the best Halloween activity we've experienced as a family. You can get t-shirts that say "I've been to the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum" which always starts conversations in a crowd.

There's a haunted house attraction operated in part of the Asylum (people jump out at you) that definitely freaks people out. We saw teens struggling with their decision to enter the attraction because it's so ominous. It's an added cost. We didn't go there because one of my children was younger but from the outside, it's not for the faint of heart.

There are some days that Halloween festivals take place there but we missed them.

1 Thank holybagpipes
Crofton, Kentucky, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Paranormal yes much”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Would definitely go back. Our short little night time tour only made me want more. I would love to be able to do a full investigation here.