“Waste of money and time!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aspen Manor Resort

Aspen Manor Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Wellsburg B&B and Inns
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Waste of money and time!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I booked two nights to celebrate our 29th anniversary. We arrived at 5:30 PM on Dec 13 and the place was empty. There was one younger woman waiting around the entrance that showed us to our room, and informed us we were the only "guests". She told us breakfast was in the morning--and you go down the hall, take a left...we asked to be shown where we needed to be instead of verbal directions.

She accommodated and walked us down to the area. We asked for a tour of the place and she stated that "Chad" would do that as he was the manager. So Chad showed up and I asked him if he would show us around--he said No, but would do it the following day. I asked Chad if there were any "munchies" laid out in the evenings and could we get a glass a wine later--No they didn't provide munchies and No to the wine as they weren't going to open up the bar; he did state that we could get a glass of wine the following evening but only after their holiday party was over. At this point it was clear being an Aspen Manor guest was inconveniencing them. Chad said to fill in the form for our breakfast selection and it would be ready at 8:00 AM; we did and headed to our room--#1. It's also interesting to note that there is no staff anywhere the remainder of the evening.

The room was average size, oddly configured but the bathroom was updated. There is an electric fireplace that acts as a TV stand and was pleasant to look at, but you have to stand right in front of it to see it; the TV faces the bed and you have to be in the bed to actually watch it; there is only one chair in the entire room which means one of us had to sit on the bed while we sat an chatted. The chair was a massage chair and that was nice. There was a dead bug in one of the bathroom guest glasses which tells me their quality in preparing rooms for guests is lacking. The bed was not very comfortable. Also--at 1:39 AM some woman with a young child walked down the hallway loudly stating to the child--"let's find Chad, let's find Chad".

The next morning we got ready and headed to the breakfast room; again--there was no one around. We waited 20 minutes then called Chad at the number on the business card. Chad answered and stated his cook would be coming in. 20 minutes later a young gentleman rolls in as if he just woke up--which we found out he just did! Apparently he was not informed that guests were staying here and would want breakfast. He apologized and started finding the ingredients and cooking. I ordered a Western omelette and my spouse ordered scrambled eggs, sausage and a biscuit. My omelette ended up having turkey, bacon and cheese and no onion, green peppers, etc that is in a Western but it was very tasty. The scrambled eggs were dry, the sausage overlooked and the cook said they didn't have any biscuits so he brought an un-buttered piece of toast as a substitute.

It was clear that the Aspen Manor was not a guest-friendly place, and I called Chad back to inform him were checking out after breakfast; he stated he was off the property but would would call-in another manager. When we were ready to checkout I again could not find any employee at the desk or walking around. I headed back to the place we ate assuming the cook may still be around and heard a man's voice in another room so headed that way. I found a gentleman in an enclosed room smoking a cigarette talking on a cell phone; assuming that was the "manager" I knocked on the door and asked about checking out. He said "yea, we'll change you one night so you're free to leave."

Now considering the lack of attention to detail the employees have demonstrated to this point I assume the final billing will likely be incorrect and have to be contested--but we'll see. Was my experience unique? I would argue that being the only guest should have ensured a wonderful stay-but clearly it was a disaster. We never felt welcome, the place is not inviting and we left feeling we inconvenienced Aspen Manor by wanting to spend an anniversary weekend at their place.

This is not a place to go if you have reasonable expectations of a Bed and Breakfast; probably would be OK for a Frat party.

Room Tip: We left Aspen Manor and went to the Spring Hill Suites in Wheeling, which is 1000% better!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank DonotCompromise

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This place is admittedly not for everyone but if you expand your horizons a little I am sure you will be delightfully surprised by this gem in the hills/woods of WV. My fiance and I stayed here for a night and it proved to be a great surprise with great service/contry charm.

Let me start by saying that I don't have much commentary on "location". I was born and raised in this area, on the Ohio side of the River :), and I honestly can't think of a good reason you would visit the area. Pittsburgh is a good 45+ minutes away, Wheeling is probably the same, maybe a little less, and those are the closest places I can think of as places of interest. If you are in the area, it is probably becasue, like me, you used to live here and are visiting friends and family.

And if that is the case, there are very limited hotel choices for the general area (Ohio Valley) and this place is definitely worth a visit. And if you are visiting Pittsburgh or Wheeling and you have some free time, then places is likely worth the visit....it is very unique...and experience that won't be replicated anywhere else.

You will start off driving on the main road and then turn off to go back into a small neighborhood just off the main road. You might think you are lost already but make one turn, start going up hill, and you'll run into an large, iron/electric gate with brick pillars. Hit the button, wait for someone to buzz you through, and you will be driving into a massive piece of property, on a road that will eventually lead you to an old mansion/world that really doesn't exist anymore.

Note, if you will be staying here, it would be to your advantage to arrive during the daylight. First, if you are from these parts, you'll be less scared/nerveous in the daylight :) Second, the drive will be easier, and third, you can enjoy the views! The road is a very long road, that is still dirt, and can be rough a times, but nothing too bad. It can easily be negotiated by any four door sedan, which is what my fiance and I were driving. Just keep going and going and going until you find the main house, which hopefully you'll notice because of the other parked cars.

Park your car, grab your bags, and walk in. Hopefully since they buzzed you in someone will be waiting and direct you to your room. Note, this place was rescently purchased by the current owners, and they are still in the process of getting it together. I notice lots of works/work being done but never really noticed any noise. The place is massive!!!!!

Rooms are pretty standard...bed, couple chairs, some dressers, flat panel TV, shower, toilet, sink. Place was very clean and comfortable. My fiance found the bed a little hard and I'd agree but nothing that was terribly problematic. We told them the night before we'd have breakfast at 9:30am, and of course our intention was to head to the kitchen. However, at 9:30am, two ladies came by with our breakfast in trays....a nice touch.

We were only staying for the night and in the morning, we were packing up to leave and a lady came out to tell us the owner was giving us champagne on the house and late check out. Unfortunately we didn't have too much time on our hands but did have a drink and ended up hanging around for a little longer.

I am not going to try and summarize the history or grandeur of this place here, as you can use google, but the place is massive, with tons of history and elegance, and if you stay here you need to just spend an hour or more walking around....and that doesn't even count the outside. Deep in the place is a cool little bar area with a pool table and we ended up playing a game of pool in an old fashion game room.

The night we checked in they said they set up a place for dinner for us but since we didnt' think they would have food options late in the evening we had already eaten, and the next moring, walking around, I was disapointted we had because I found the place they had set up for us. A grand table settling all by ourselves...it would have been great.

I can't say enough about everything there is to see in this place...you could get lost...you may want to ask for a tour.

As long as you know what to expect, you will enjoy this "big" gem in the hills/woods of WV. If you can go in the fall/spring I bet it would be beautiful. I wish we had better weather and time to spend walking the grounds. Very private area all to yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jeffrey D
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I visited for the first time these fascinating manor that a friend had told me about. Since driving into the manor grounds until driving out the next day, I didn't stop being impressed. The place holds a lot of history and energy. You can spend hours wondering its halls and grounds, soaking in the aura of each room. I found this hidden gem to be a truly special experience, and very reasonably priced for the quality of the stay.

One thing that anyone going here must be aware of: it is not your typical modern upscale resort. One goes here for the charm, history, art and privilege of being able to wonder around in a historic mansion with all of it's antiquity and imperfections that make it incredibly charming. It is clear the new owners have a vision of completely finishing a restoration of this historic place and turning it into the full charm it once was many years ago. Doing so will take time and I look forward to seeing the progress during future visits.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BrightMidnightTravel
Harrisville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I love historic places and was driving around exploring for a place to stay near Meadowcroft Rockshelter in Avella, PA when I stumbled upon this gem. This was much more than lodging- it was an event in itself! I had intended to find someplace to stay, get up early and then spend the day at Meadowcroft, but never left this property until 1:00 in the afternoon! We spent hours exploring the treasures within and enjoying taking in the beauty of the grounds while sitting on the front porch. The total atmosphere was extraordinary! This is a place designed for relaxing and the staff assures that you will have that experience. Breakfast was included and was made to order and served wherever we wanted to have it. It was hard to choose between the courtyard, front porch or one of the gorgeous rooms inside! The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a great experience. I have stayed at bed & breakfasts all over the country and must say that this is among my top experiences ever. And definitely among the most reasonably priced! Make sure you ask for a tour of the interior for added enjoyment! The owner of this property has done an excellent job with the restoration and with hiring dedicated, fantastic personnel!
Thank you Adam, Chad and staff for a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a luxury room on the historic side of the property.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anniemousebooks
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

A true 10 ! AAA my wife ( Natalia ) and I were very impressed.the history,the sights,the food,the service was the best !!! thankyou Chad and Adam .INCREDABLE !!!! TOTAL VALUE !!! SINCERELY,Mike and Natalia

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike T
Keystone, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

This gem is a bit out of the way, but worth every effort to get there. The historic manor house has countless treasures from time it was built, well preserved and beautifully displayed in the public rooms. The rooms have their historic look but are updated with flat-screen TVs, air conditioning, and a comfortable lounge chair. The 700-acre property sitting above the Ohio River has charm, old buildings, lots of wildlife, plenty of room to roam, and gracious hosts. There are three levels of rooms--the deluxe rooms that are the original manor bedrooms; slightly smaller rooms, mostly with their own baths, which were the staff rooms at the back of the manor; and economy rooms ($49!) upgraded from what was an assisted living wing added later. As a manor guest, you have the run of the architecturally interesting manor and all its fascinating special rooms--the Oriental room with its large curved window seat, the Indian room, the music room, the pool room, a beautiful dining room, a library, and a large living room, among others. A bountiful breakfast is included. In addition to the occasional visit, this facility is large and special enough to host a corporate retreat, family reunion, celebration, or any other special occasion. On-site catering is provided for groups. Only 45 minutes from Pittsburgh (30 minutes from Wheeling), I found this treasure to be a truly special experience, and very reasonably priced for the quality of the stay. It's really reminiscent of some fine old English or European properties.

Room Tip: At $119/night, pick the manor rooms--they are special.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank coloradofan82
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

This may have been the most unusual hotel I have ever stayed at. We found it on the internet and thought it looked interesting. We were not disappointed. Originally built by the playboy son of a millionaire about 100 years ago, it is a very large estate on a very high hill. For most of its life the estate belonged to various Catholic institutions, and it has recently passed into private hands and is starting a new life as a hotel and event center. There is simply no place like it. To arrive, you have to drive up a long, bumpy road. You start to come to some buildings and then arrive at the Manor, Parts of the outside still need to be rehabbed, but inside there are wonderful lush public rooms and hallways and some very nice guest rooms. There is also a beautiful chapel from its days as a Catholic retirement home.

The guys who are turning this into a hotel could not have been nicer. This is not a corporate make-over, but appears to be the work of a few individuals with a vision and a love of antiques and old places. I really really hope they succeed, because this place is unique and deserves to stay open to the public. We got a nice tray of cheese and wine in the evening, and a great breakfast. I had one of the best night's sleep ever there. If you like unusual places off the beaten path, Aspen Manor is for you. It would be a great place for a wedding. I was travelling with my three sisters on our annual "Sisters' trip" and we all really enjoyed our stay. I hope to get back there some day. Go now while you have the chance. Rates were reasonable. They have a good website with photos and information.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Extradish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellsburg
Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Aspen Manor Resort? Share your experiences!