“Stay at Springhill instead”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites WHEELING
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Triadelphia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at Springhill Suites in Wheeling on the way to the East Coast, but it was booked on our trip home, so we stayed here instead. Although the common areas and our room were very attractive and well maintained, the service was very poor. 1. We checked in at 9:30 on a Saturday night and there was one person staffing the desk and answering two phone lines. We had to wait about 15 minutes to check in, when we were hungry and cranky. I am not opposed to waiting during peak times, but believe the manager planned poorly for a Saturday night. 2. My husband was awoken by housekeeping Sunday morning around 9 because we didn't have a do not disturb tag for the door. I had gotten up around 8 to work out, and there was not a single do not disturb sign on any doors on our floor, leading me to believe that the hotel does not make them readily available. After my husband was woken up, I asked a housekeeper for a tag and explained what had happened, and she mumbled an insincere apology. 3. The hotel is supposed to be 100% smoke free but it was clear someone right off the third floor elevator was smoking in their room. I know managers can't prevent this, but if staff members were walking around monitoring the property they would know and should take care of it immediately, not just fine people. 4. The breakfast was very heavy on carbs, not good if you are gluten free (like our family) or just trying to watch carb intake. There pancakes, pastries, biscuits, gravy and sugary cereals. They had hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs, but the scrambled eggs tasted like they had been made from powdered eggs. 5. The breakfast bar staff person seemed overworked and hassled. There was not a drop of water in the hot water caraf, so I went to the front desk for assistance. After the clerk went into the back room to ask the breakfast bar assistant to fill up the caraf, he came back out and did it himself. I understand when you have a mob of people on Sunday morning that it's hard to keep up, but I think they needed a second person for the peak times. In fact, when my husband came down later to get coffee and accidentally spilled it because 3 different coffee cups had holes in the bottom, she came to clean it up and seemed indifferent to the problem, as if cups with holes and resulting spills are a common occurrence. 6. The sofa in our suite did not have a pull out bed. We made reservations via my iPhone while on the road, and I didn't know for sure from the web descriptions if the sofa had a bed, but we paid extra for the suite and my daughter had to curl up on the sofa. I asked the night clerk for a rollaway, and he said they didn't have any. We paid the same for this room as we for for Springhill Suites the week before, and Springhill have us much better service and amenities for the same price. I realize many people would be perfectly happy with the breakfast choices and would think that being awoken at 9 a.m. is not a huge deal, but in comparison with the other hotel, this is inferior. I also believe that if some of these service and staffing issues are not resolved, then more customers will probably be dissatisfied. An attractive facility is only one part of the equation.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank AngiePR
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites WHEELING, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear AngiePR,

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We apologize for your dissatisfaction on some of our staff and services. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This hotel is right off the interstate close to shopping and restaurants but still far enough away to where you don't hear any traffic. Front desk the night we arrived (Aug. 2nd) was wonderful but the so-called "manager" when we checked out (Aug. 4th) was a different story. Good things first; wonderful hot breakfast although the help the morning of August 3rd acted like she didn't want to be there (slightly rude, swept crumbs from the table onto the floor), relaxing hot tub, nice pool, comfortable beds, flat-screen TV. Bad things; housekeeping, housekeeping, housekeeping!! We left at 9:30am and returned at 8:30pm and although he/she did a great job of cleaning, they didn't clean the room until 5:45pm the afternoon of the 3rd and then forgot to close our door! When we checked out on the 4th, the gentleman behind the front desk claimed he was the manager and said he would check into it. He was good to his word and called back about 1 1/2 hours later and said, "well, your door was only open for three hours before you returned". No apologies, nothing. I ended up calling the regional office and the girl I spoke with was wonderful. She got a hold of the regional manager (Eric) and he called, apologized and gave us a discount back on our card, which is what the front desk manager should have done, IMO. I know people make mistakes but we were disappointed in his attitude and lack of concern. Other than that, a wonderful place to stay and we will go there again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor pool side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 2gr8kidz_12
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially the night lady. We enjoyed the pool, and my daughter used the treadmill. We all used the free WiFi.
Breakfast is great! I hate hotels that just set out muffins and fruit. This breakfast included muffins, donuts, cinnamon rolls, omelets (premade), biscuits and gravy, pancake maker, several cereals, and more.
The guy who said to look for Cabela's on GPS was right. That helped us out a lot!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Katie S
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed at 5 holiday inn properties this trip, this was the worst.
Called and asked for a wine corkscrew, woman replied a customer had taken it a week ago so they didn't have one. She recommended I go out to buy one. I explained that i had my ankle in a cast so didn't want to go out. She couldn't help. I called back, same woman answered, I asked for manager, which was the same woman. I asked again, and she replied; "Honey, I told you I couldn't get it before!". I HATE being called honey by anyone but the wife! No wine for me that night!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites WHEELING, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Frankv42,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments regarding the service are very much appreciated. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again, thank you for your time and staying with us.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel was a little pricey, but the room was really nice. Staff was very friendly and shared ideas of restaurants in the area to eat. Loved the pool!!! Thought it was neat that the pool had handicap access. I have never seen that at a hotel. Close to many restaurants and Cabela's if you are interested in this place.
We were passing through, would have liked to take the hotel with us for the rest of the trip.
I would highly recommend and would stay here again!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was an outstanding respite on our long road trip to visit family. We had decided not to stay at another property, and instead gave it a try. It was more than we planned to spend, but worth it. The staff was welcoming, the pool perfect for our grandson, and the breakfast a notch above the usual. The linens were wonderfully soft and unscented, the room beautiful, clean and nicely dark at night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Very nice rooms, good location, Dawn the desk clerk was very efficient & pleasant. I would recommend this place to anyone. The best by far on this trip. Quiet rooms, very spacious, no loud traffic . Clean , nicely laid out .

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Triadelphia
Hampton Inn Suites Wheeling - The Highlands
5 mi away
Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia/wheeling

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites WHEELING? Share your experiences!