“Fun and eclectic yet it needs a little kitchen makeover”
Review of Purple Fiddle

Purple Fiddle
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Thomas
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I traveled with my family to Blackwater Falls State Park for Thanksgiving.On Friday evening, we wanted a break from our cabin and feast leftovers. We saw fliers in the lodge lobby about the Purple Fiddle Cafe, and it sounded like the perfect thing to do. We were excited to listen to live, folksy, country music in an authentic environment. We walked in to this eclectic cafe and felt somewhat disorganized and confused. Did we seat ourselves, where do we order, is there a cover charge. It was kind of a make yourself at home type feel crossed between oh my gosh, we're so busy and we don't know what to do. My 21 y.o. Daughter immediately fell in love with the quirky, artistic, anything goes atmosphere, while my 10 y.o. And 8 y.o. Thought it was dirty and didn't want to eat. I myself,understood their style, and enjoyed a Mediterranean salad with hummus! Hummus in west virginia? Yes, and it was good, but a little garlicky, my husband enjoyed his creative grilled cheese, and we were all happy with the many choices of beverages. We enjoyed the performances at the maximum capacity room, and enjoyed people watching. One guests flea market chair snapped in 2. Overall, the purple fiddle is a great spot, it could just use a little more upkeep. You can be hippie and eclectic but still maintain cleanliness and organization can't you. They're in need of a kitchen makeover. But it's a must see.

3  Thank Teresa H

Reviewed September 14, 2011

After reading so much about this place, I expected more. I'll give them credit for hosting live musicians almost every day. In fact, one musician was playing when we had lunch there.

Having said that, I've got to admit that the Purple Fiddle was a disappointment. The two women who served us were unsmiling and unwelcoming.

Food was just average, and it was oddly paced; our sandwiches came right away, but our milkshakes didn't arrive until we were halfway done with the sandwiches. We went up to the counter twice and were told "I'm working on it." When the shakes were finally delivered, our server didn't apologize for the long wait.

The sandwiches themselves were just okay. At about $23 for two sandwiches and two shakes, the meal seemed overpriced.

The decor was a lot like other funky hippie joints I've been in. It will seem familiar to anyone who's visited lots of tourist areas.

Unfortunately, the town of Thomas seems to have been hit hard by the recession. There weren't many things to see or do in town. We ate lunch and continued on our way to the state parks. If I'd have known that the Purple Fiddle would be disappointing, we'd have taken a picnic lunch to the park instead.

2  Thank twistin
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My wife and I have gone on vacations in Canaan Valley several times and always enjoyed eating, drinking and hanging out at the Purple Fiddle, so when we had a few days free for a quick getaway, we decided to stay their guest house, the Fiddlers Roost. Like the Purple Fiddle, the inn is pretty rustic, so if you're looking for luxury or Victorian frills, this ain't the place for you. For the eclectically inclined, however, it is wonderful. Arrive at the Purple Fiddle and they'll collect your very reasonable room tab in advance, explain the layout, hand you your key and let you see yourself to your room. The house is an old coal mining duplex with 5 rooms on one side and I think 3 on the other. There are no private bathrooms, but there are a couple on each side, plus there is a family room to hang out in and a little kitchen with a microwave. Beds are small (heck, the whole place is small), but they are comfortable. It's not exactly sterile, but it is clean enough, and the service is nonexistent, but you came to relax, so get over it and just chill.

While in Thomas/Davis, don't miss Blackwater Falls. There's amazing hiking and Mtn Biking throughout the area. Or if you're like us you can just relax on the front porch of the inn or go over to the Fiddle, grab a bite and hang out all day with a good book. Surprisingly for a place with so many hippie-looking paople hanging around, there is only 1 vegetarian sandwich on the menu at the Fiddle, so we didn't eat much there. And there aren't really any dinner options in Thomas other than the Fiddle, so if you've already eaten there, head down 2 miles to Davis to eat. There's a good Italian/pizza joint and a great burrito place (very vegetarian friendly) and a few other options.

Then at night, be sure to check out the music at the Purple Fiddle. I don't know how they do it, but they get amazing acts, usually bluegrass or folk, from all over the country out there. We loved staying there because after an evening of music and pitchers of Mountain State Brewing Co. Cold Trail Ale (the local brew-be sure to visit the brewery's pub a mile up Rt.32 from Thomas) we could just stumble next door into bed.

13  Thank stevesmallhomes
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I had read a review of the Purple Fiddle in Southern Living magazine. It was a must stop for my hubby and me on our way to Blackwater Falls State Park (by the way a lovely place). Don't expect "high brow" service or fancy atmosphere. You can expect good food at reasonable prices in a fun atmosphere. We wandered in and really weren't greeted by any of the folks milling behind the counter. I finally asked how to order or if we should just sit down and a young man said to read the menu (and pointed) and then just place your order. We looked over the menu and he took our orders and told us to sit anywhere and he'd bring our food. A good sandwich style menu with a great variety of beer (try the local WV brew). The restaurant only had one other couple eating lunch when we were there(and they were seated indoors...there are a few tables indoors and also outside)....we chose to sit outside on the patio. The restaurant and patio are definitely hippie-funk in design with all kinds of neat furnishings. The weekend concerts are held in the restaurant and the crowd sits on old church pews (with afgans for comfort). Lots of interesting memorabilia and antiques. Great place to just look around. Our food arrived quickly. Our appetizer of hummus (DELICIOUS...BEST I HAVE EVER TASTED), olive tapanade and pita bread came out first....then our sandwiches (HUGE portions). I had roast beef and provolone on wheat with fresh lettuce and tomato and great chips. My hubby had turkey (real, not pressed turkey) with cranberry sauce and the same fixings as my sandwich. YUMM! We couldn't even begin to finish our meal. We enjoyed eating outdoors and watching a toddler (one of the kids of the restaurant staff?) play with his dog (who visited us at our table). When we finished up lunch, we cleaned up our own table, took the dishes back to the counter and paid our tab. If you want a laid-back, comfy, down-home delicious meal, this is the place to stop in Thomas, WV. (Also free internet is available for customers.) While in the area, stop at some of the other cute shops on the "main drag" in Thomas. I highly recommend Mountain Made Shop (products by WV artisans....everything from homemade preserves, pasta and honey to paintings, hand-carved utensils, lovely glasswork...just about anything you can imagine and all made by WV artists).

5  Thank virginian9
Reviewed August 15, 2007

I'm willing to give this place the benefit of the doubt because it seems to have potential, but our experience was less than stellar. The employees, both of them, were flat-faced and unwelcoming, and questions were received in a way that left you feeling like you only contributed to their misery by asking. The food... eh. Brown-edged lettuce had to be plucked from sandwiches, and the falafel patties were as hard and dry as hockey pucks. That said, I know people who really like this place, and we might have visited on a day when the Purple Fiddle was off its game. There wasn't even any ice cream-- it was "ice-cream clean out day". Bad luck all around.

4  Thank youcanleaveyourhaton

Been to Purple Fiddle? Share your experiences!