All reviews the main house carriage house west virginia frittata next morning italian dishes tomato sauce creme brûlée bubble bath turn of the century lived closer bed and breakfast antipasto platter star restaurant farm to table stay overnight anniversary celebration
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We stopped for dinner on our way north on I-79. We had stopped years before at their old location. Glad we made reservations because they were very busy. The owners, Tim and Melody Urbanic, if not at the door, greet you during the meal. I had a salad that was one of the specials that evening with eggplant and olives, my husband had the Caesar, both exceeded our expectations. I love pasta and was not disappointed with the Sun Dried Tomatoes, Feta, Garlic, Pine Nuts & Fresh Basil tossed with pasta, while my husband enjoyed his N. Y. Strip Steak. Don't skip the desserts. We shared a chocolate Tort, amazing; and Creme Brulee.
They had a wonderful musician with an amazing voice.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cathyinwv
cafecimino, Owner at Cafe Cimino Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2010

Hello there WV girl! Thank you so much for this "foodie" review. I would have responded sooner, but just recently learned that I could, so "Thank you" from the Chefs and from me, Melody! It looks like you're due for another visit, eh? I must tell you that Chef Tim is making this incredible new pasta (at least for him) that his family in Italy taught him to make a few weeks ago;he spent a 2 week foodie/farm to table/agritourism trip ti Italy and came back with this "cavetelli" pasta recipe. So, come up and make sure you let me know you are here, so I can give you a hug! We also now have added spa services and MountainMade is now all throughout the Main House...so you can do a little spa therapy, retail therapy and culinary therapy:) Thanks again! Melody, your innkeeper and hostess

Reviewed October 6, 2009

This establishment is a perfect balance of culinary excellence and comfortable (bordering on luxurious) accommodations. It was pure serendipity that we decided to make a reservation as a "midway" stop on our drive from SW Ohio to Washington DC; my only regret was that I turned down the option to enjoy dinner upon arrival (but, at that point, I hadn't seen the menu or tasted the breakfast). We chose among the 10 perfectly decorated rooms--were tempted most by the exceedingly lovely choices in the main house, but ended up in the carriage house for ease of hauling luggage (and quiet and privacy, I suppose). The bed was a bit too firm for me (spouse thought it was fine), but everything else was perfect. The setting was tranquil, with sounds of the river and sights of woods and expansive lawn. The breakfast was worth the entire price of the stay--spinach frittata and polenta and cranberry/pine-nut scones and tomato-and-mozzarella and on and on. This would be an excellent choice for a stop in mid-WV, or for a delightful and indulgent getaway from anywhere in the region.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank edit_rrrr

Hello New Mexico! Thank you so much for your "travel review" of our family Inn. We would have contacted you sooner to say thanks, but just recently learned that we could respond to our reviewers! We look forward to your next visit! Whenever you have a reason to come back through WV, please stay with us again. We have continued to add to the "culinary" delights for our guests, plus we have added a spa service and now "house" WV's finest artisans' works for sale. The arts and crafts are all through the Main House. Our guests seem to enjoy the opportunity for a little "retail therapy" and "spa therapy" along with the culinary offerings and restful guest rooms. Anyway, just wanted to say "thank you" and invite you to come see us again! Melody, your hostess and innkeeper

Reviewed August 22, 2009

My wife and I were visiting family and had made plans to dine in the restaurant. Based on our visits to Tim and Melody's previous establishment we were excited to give the new restaurant a try. I can tell you the place is a bonefide hidden treasure! The dining experience was truly impressive. The food was a good as any that I've tasted. No wonder its one of the governor's favorites. Sutton, WV is lucky to have such talented chefs that pride themselves on locally grown agriculture. The Cafe Cimino refreshingly boasts a service staff that genuinely prides themselves on their quality of service (a rare commodity these days). After we ordered our meals the server happily offered to show us around the grounds to each guest room. We had no intentions of staying overnight, but after becoming throroughly impressed with the "casual elegance" we decided to stay . After dinner and a walk around the grounds checking out the local artwork, we headed down to the wine bar for some after dinner beverages. Again the ambiance was compelling and we felt right at home striking up a conversation with the bartender. I tend to agree with the other member, the beer selection was poor. However, I suppose due to the economy of scale there's really only room for a few (no misnomers here, after all it is a "wine" bar). A couple of local selections would have been great though. After a full evening of relaxation and enjoyable company we headed back to the Julia Suite overlooking the Elk River. The room was tastefully decorated with a great upscale country feeling. We didn't bother closing the glass door to the balcony because of the enjoyable rushing sounds of the river. A sound nights sleep for sure. I would have like to have seen a local soap offered as well. The next morning we woke up to a delicious three course meal. Suprisingly, we were the only ones that had stayed that evening so we had the entire place to ourselves. There always room for improvement anywhere, but honestly, from the time we got there the evening prior to the time we left the next morning we were treated as family. The Cafe Cimino is an exceptional B&B at a great price. Can't wait to return and stay longer!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Comanche66
melody u, Owner at Cafe Cimino Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Hello there dear traveller! It's been a while since you visited us and we wanted to thank you for your review and invite you back! We've added some neat features that I think you will appreciate (yes, a few WV beers :), an on-site massage therapist for your aching muscles after a long drive, and locally made soaps and lotions upon request). So, thank you! Also, that lovely river behind the Inn is now a WV designated WaterTrail; you can rent a canoe or kayak and take a nice gentle ride down the Elk. Anyway, I was remiss in thanking you for your review and wanted to touch base. It is because of cool folks like you who actually take the time to share their experience here in our little town that bring us more cool folks! also, chekc out our new, upgraded website, too! Hope you can come see us again soon!

Reviewed August 1, 2008

If anything can revive the fading town of Sutton, WVa, it will be the Cafe Cimino Country Inn. The Urbanics, who ran a highly successful upscale Italian restaurant in Sutton for nine years, recently purchased this Victorian mansion at the end of Main Street, overlooking the Elk River. After lovingly restoring the mansion and carriage house, they moved their restaurant to the first floor of the house and a year ago converted the rest of the property to a bed and breakfast.
The entire Cafe Cimino Country Inn experience is wonderful. The setting is bucolic and the hosts go out of their way to try and meet your every need. The four rooms in the mansion are each uniquely decorated in Victorian style and have working fireplaces. We stayed in the carriage house, where the four rooms are upscale country and each have a private balcony. There are also two suites overlooking the river.
We have stayed in B&B's across the country and the three course breakfast served to overnight guests was one of the best we've ever had. We enjoyed dinners during our two night stay and they were first class. The ambience, service and quality of food was excellent. Tim and his son Eric are inspired chefs who try to use locally produced food when it meets their high standards. Many of the herbs and vegetables come from their own gardens. My husband and I kept saying, "this is the best... I've ever tasted!"
For those who want a more active getaway, the Elk River is accessible for kayaking and canoeing. A mountain bike trail is right up the road, and my husband spent an afternoon fly fishing right below the Inn.
The Inn is located right off of I79. For those traveling North or South this would be a wonderful place to spend a decadent night. Cafe Cimino is a true gem!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank ColdeComfort
cafecimino, Owner at Cafe Cimino Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2010

Hello dear Ohio guests! Gee, I just figured out how to respond to our guests who have been so kind, as you were, to take the time to share your experience with us here at the Inn! Thank you so much! What can we say except thank you for all of the fellow travelers your review has brought us! We love to meet and to serve saavy travelers like you and your husband who really understand what we are trying to do here...bring a really nice "unexpected" experience in dining and lodging, to a small town in America...please come back around soon and see all of the changes we've made since you were here; we now provide spa services, have a wonderful arts and crafts cooperative right in the Mansion. All over the house;mantles, window sills, walls are are graced with wonderful WV made artisan crafts for our guest to enjoy and to buy if they want. we also now offer tapas down by the river in the little guest lounge. that has been a lot of fun. anyway, sorry it took so long for me to understand how to respond to you! cheers...Melody, your happy innkeeper and hostess

Reviewed May 25, 2008

I loved the Cimino. Loved it. Gorgeous rooms, amazing views and very possibly the very best meals I've ever enjoyed at a B&B. Duck for dinner and a melting frittata for breaxkfast, accompanied by a symphony of a fruit plate and fried polenta milled in West Virginia.

I stay at a number of B&Bs, and I'm very price-conscious. I hate feeling ripped off. I stayed in one of the cheaper, carriage house rooms and it was absolutely luxurious. Quiet, immaculate, tasteful, great shower, river-facing balcony, silk coverlet on the perfectly soft bed. The owner described it as "zen" and I agree. I arrived exhausted in the afternoon and enjoyed a few beers outside by the river at the inn's bar, then a sumptuous duck dinner. The innkeepers tell me that if you catch rainbow trout in the river, they'll cook them up for you there! I want to go back in the winter and stay at one of the main house rooms with working fireplaces.

I know I'm raving, so I'll try to reel myself in. Here's what I didn't like. No high-quality West Virginia beer at the bar --no Mountineer, or even Dogfish or anything closer than Boston.) Also, they pride themselves on local, organic, sustainable, etc, so what's with the Andes after-dinner mint and the toiletries from China? I'd have loved it if they'd given me a West Virginia maple sugar candy at the end of my meal and some paraben-free natural soap/shampoo made in WV (there are plenty of places that sell it!) Also, I was kind of given the impression that there's wireless internet access in the carriage house rooms. There's not. You have to sit on the porch on th main house, which is lovely, but just FYI.

But all of these are merely quibbles. The bottom line is, I really can't wait to go back to Cafe Ciminio Country Inn, and I cannot remember ever thinking that about any B&B I've visted that cost less than $300/night. This place is a treasure. I wll return.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Mollydoll
cafecimino, Owner at Cafe Cimino Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

Hello Molly doll! Wow, I just this week figured out that I could respond to our wonderful guests...so...Thank you! thank you for taking your time to write such a great review, and thank you for appreciating what we try to do here! We are now in our 3rd year and we've gotten more and more comfortable "in our new digs" and would love to see you again for a little tour to see our newest amenities! Yeah!!! We have a spa now, a neat assortment of wv artisan crafts for sale, and are developing the river that flows by your carriage house room for better access for canoes and kayaks! we now do tapas night, two tapas, two beers, 20 bucks (and Chef Tim's tapas are huge!) anyway, just wanted to pop in and say thank you and welcome you for another visit anytime! Cheers, your innkeeper, Melody