“Typical Wingate experience.”

Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Because I am in the Wyndam rewards program, I often look for their properties when traveling. I have found the Wingate properties to be consistently good places to stay. The beds are comfortable, the toiletries are high quality, the staff are friendly, and the free breakfast is way above average. This property was no different. For some reason my GPS couldn't find them, so I called when I got near. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful, giving easy directions to the property.

We arrived at dinner time on a rainy day. We opted to eat dinner at their "partner property", a Holiday Inn Express right next door. I made use of the exercise room, which had a high end tread mill that was to mu liking. The hot tub was down for repairs, so we didn't get to try it out.

The only negative was that the first room they put us in smelled of smoke. They apologized and moved us down the hall to a room that was just fine. All in all, we enjoyed the brief stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
WingateCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you for your review, and for being a Wyndham Rewards Member! I apologize for the first room you were put into, as we are a 100% non-smoking hotel. I am glad to hear that the issue was resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. I'me glad you had the chance to try out the "Mosa Cafe" next door and that you enjoyed it. I hope we can serve you again in your future stays at our Wingate.

There are newer reviews for Wingate by Wyndham Charleston

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We were driving through on the way to Ohio and stopped at this hotel. It ended up being a good choice. The rooms had plenty of space. The beds were comfortable. We were traveling North and the way the GPS brought us in was a little scary. By the time we made it to the hotel we felt more comfortable about the choice. Complimentary breakfast was good. I would reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
WingateCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for the kind comments about our hotel. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the larger rooms and the beds. We’re also glad that you would recommend us, that is very nice of you. We hope that you give us the chance for a future stay the next time you are coming through Charleston!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I came to Charleston just for the weekend to visit college friends. I arrived at the hotel around noon and went to see if they would allow me to check-in early. The man at the front desk was very nice and checked me in-no problem. The rooms are very nice. Clean, comfortable, and a decent size. I was also impressed with their complimentary beverage station near the front desk. Their hot tub is under construction, but they told me I could use the one at the Holiday Inn which is across the parking lot. Overall I was pleased with my stay and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
WingateCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for the review! We are glad to serve you and hope that your visit went well. We appreciate all your kind words about the staff, hotel and amenities. We look forward to future visits and hope that you will give us the chance to again show you a great time while you are in Charleston!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed at two Wingates, in Parkersburg, and South Charleston WV. Both were quality stays. Stayed at another during our work trip and it (Holiday Inn and Suites) couldn't compare in cleanliness and room comfort as the Wingates.The Wingates were also more affordable. We are working storm claims in WV from the June 29, 2012 storm. We had to travel and move almost on a moments notice. We started in Parkersburg reserving a room for a week at that WIngate, 5 days later we had to move to Charleston, at the last minute I had to terminate our stay. No problem they checked us out with a smile. The Windgate in South Charleston was booked so, we had to stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites(unfortunately) for a couple days until the Wingate had rooms. We then moved in to the Wingate. What a relief. We booked a week and suddenly got word we had to move for work. We had only stayed one night at the Windham. We checked out at 10am with no problem, just a smile and a thank you.While we were traveling to our next destination, we got word to go back to Charleston. I immediately called and with no problem whatsoever got our room back, and I could tell he was smiling on the phone.
We are still here 4 days later.
Excellent service, good price great rooms( the double queen rooms are about15% larger than the Holiday inn. Two of us spend many hours in the room doing our work.
We will always be looking for Wingates when we travel.

The only negative I have is the fruit at the breakfast bar. The bananas are left until they are nearly totally black. I generally eat fruit for breakfast, and fresh fruit is a must. I know it is a waste, but perhaps, when they go out to buy new fruit. they can drop off the over ripe bananas to the local shelter where they can make banana nut bread or something else. WIth all the other positives, it is a shame that this little detail is overlooked.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
WingateCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you for your comments! We appreciate all the work you were doing after the recent power outages and we're happy that we were able to accommodate you as you made your way around the area. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our larger rooms and that it made the work you were doing easier on you and your co-worker. We're glad to hear that you felt you got excellent service from the staff. We will look into the idea of dropping off the bananas that are overripe and see if that is a possibility for us. Thank you for the idea!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here because the Holiday Inn next door owned by the same company moved us so we could get the non-smoking room we requested. The Wyndham clerk gave us a king suite with Jacuzzi because they had run out of regular king rooms and I wouldn't accept a queen or twin beds.

The suite (Room 301) was beautiful. It did have the smell of being heavily deodorized whenever we turned on the air conditioning, so I suspect at some point someone had sneaked a smoke.

Bed was very comfortable. There was a flat-screen TV in the living area and the bedroom. Only problem was that there was NO HD programming available on either set. This is the 21st Century!

The bathroom had the Jacuzzi tub. It was not big enough for a couple. It worked very well, but the cold water control knob was very wobbly because someone from an earlier visit broke it. I reported it at checkout. The installation of the tub wasn't very ornate. Lots of painted wallboard around the tub. Bathroom had two separate sinks and a ton of counter space.

The free breakfast was awful. In fairness to the hotel, there was a big Jehovah's Witness convention in town, but the one lady who kept the breakfast selections stocked was overwhelmed. There were no scrambled eggs, no potatoes, but a fair amount of patty sausage. I reported this to the desk clerk and all he did was call the lady and tell her to speed things up. We had to get on the road so we skipped out. My wife overheard a manager approach one of the maintenance guys and asked him to help the kitchen lady because she was "overstressed". This was poor planning on the part of hotel management. They KNEW they had a full house as did the Holiday Inn next door.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
WingateCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you for the review! I'm glad we were able to accommodate you and I'm happy to hear that your room was to your satisfaction. We are a 100% non-smoking hotel, and I'm sorry for your inconvenience that the previous guest may have smoked in your room. I have notified Maintenance about your comments relating to the knob and the appearance around the tub. We are in the process of a change to a newer, modern TV provider, and I hope you will give us the chance to show you the change on a future visit.

I am truly sorry for your experience at breakfast, and we are implementing new procedures for it to take care of all the issues you have raised. Again, I hope you will let us show you these changes on a future visit with us!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We spent 2 days here after spending the previous 2 days at another hotel during a power outage. Really wish this one was available the other 2 days!. The staff was friendly and courteous from the very beginning. Very clean and the breakfast was excellent. Would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. The Holiday Inn right next door(they share the same parking), offers their pool to guests at the Wingate.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

I'm so glad we were able to help you out during the large power outage that affected the area and I am happy to hear you had such a great stay with us. I look forward to seeing you in the future, hopefully in better circumstances!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I recently had to stay here as a result of the storm outage. I was extremely thankful to find a room but then was treated terribly. Michelle at the front desk checked me in and neglected to inform me of the services that were down at the time of checkin. At 10:48 pm, Michelle awoken me advising me there was an issue with my card, basically that my payment had been denied. She advised that she knew this at check in but was too busy to let me know then. I find it hard to believe as when I checked in at 430 pm I was the only one at the desk. After researching the difficulty with my card was she tried to charge 1,144.38 for one night repeatedly. My card flagged it as fraudulent and denied. After arguing with her about her contacting me so late, I gave her my debit card with implict instructions to only charge the room rate. After asking why they contacted me so late, she hung up on me. Of course I have the room rate charged and a pending authorizaton of $100.00 being held hostage in my back account by the hotel. I contacted the front desk manager, Daugh and asked if this is how they normally treat their guests. He repeated called me a liar about them attempting to contact me. The hotel phone has a caller id as does my cell and there were no missed calls or voicemails from the front desk. In today's day and age, it is hard to believe that someone would not leave a voicemail? Anyway after researching the charges, I have called the hotel requesting an immediate call back from the manager to address the obviuosly fraudulent charges....with no response.

This hotel is in a bad neighborhood and I had to stay there out of desparation. I would not recommend it to anyone. Please look elsewhere!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
WingateCharlestonMGR, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

I am very sorry for your trouble during your stay. I hope that our phone discussion has helped clear up many items and given you a more favorable outlook on our hotel. As we discussed there have been a few changes made to insure a situation like this doesn't happen again to any future guest. I thank you for your comments and for talking with me on the phone to clear this situation up.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Charleston
Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charleston South
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#1 of 3 in South Charleston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South
Four Points by Sheraton Charleston
Hampton Inn Charleston - Downtown

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Charleston? Share your experiences!