“Good suite! Terrible free breakfast.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Shiloh, Illinois
“Good suite! Terrible free breakfast.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here because the Holiday Inn next door owned by the same company moved us so we could get the non-smoking room we requested. The Wyndham clerk gave us a king suite with Jacuzzi because they had run out of regular king rooms and I wouldn't accept a queen or twin beds.

The suite (Room 301) was beautiful. It did have the smell of being heavily deodorized whenever we turned on the air conditioning, so I suspect at some point someone had sneaked a smoke.

Bed was very comfortable. There was a flat-screen TV in the living area and the bedroom. Only problem was that there was NO HD programming available on either set. This is the 21st Century!

The bathroom had the Jacuzzi tub. It was not big enough for a couple. It worked very well, but the cold water control knob was very wobbly because someone from an earlier visit broke it. I reported it at checkout. The installation of the tub wasn't very ornate. Lots of painted wallboard around the tub. Bathroom had two separate sinks and a ton of counter space.

The free breakfast was awful. In fairness to the hotel, there was a big Jehovah's Witness convention in town, but the one lady who kept the breakfast selections stocked was overwhelmed. There were no scrambled eggs, no potatoes, but a fair amount of patty sausage. I reported this to the desk clerk and all he did was call the lady and tell her to speed things up. We had to get on the road so we skipped out. My wife overheard a manager approach one of the maintenance guys and asked him to help the kitchen lady because she was "overstressed". This was poor planning on the part of hotel management. They KNEW they had a full house as did the Holiday Inn next door.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
WingateCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for the review! I'm glad we were able to accommodate you and I'm happy to hear that your room was to your satisfaction. We are a 100% non-smoking hotel, and I'm sorry for your inconvenience that the previous guest may have smoked in your room. I have notified Maintenance about your comments relating to the knob and the appearance around the tub. We are in the process of a change to a newer, modern TV provider, and I hope you will give us the chance to show you the change on a future visit.

I am truly sorry for your experience at breakfast, and we are implementing new procedures for it to take care of all the issues you have raised. Again, I hope you will let us show you these changes on a future visit with us!

Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We spent 2 days here after spending the previous 2 days at another hotel during a power outage. Really wish this one was available the other 2 days!. The staff was friendly and courteous from the very beginning. Very clean and the breakfast was excellent. Would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. The Holiday Inn right next door(they share the same parking), offers their pool to guests at the Wingate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
I'm so glad we were able to help you out during the large power outage that affected the area and I am happy to hear you had such a great stay with us. I look forward to seeing you in the future, hopefully in better circumstances!
Rockport, WV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I recently had to stay here as a result of the storm outage. I was extremely thankful to find a room but then was treated terribly. Michelle at the front desk checked me in and neglected to inform me of the services that were down at the time of checkin. At 10:48 pm, Michelle awoken me advising me there was an issue with my card, basically that my payment had been denied. She advised that she knew this at check in but was too busy to let me know then. I find it hard to believe as when I checked in at 430 pm I was the only one at the desk. After researching the difficulty with my card was she tried to charge 1,144.38 for one night repeatedly. My card flagged it as fraudulent and denied. After arguing with her about her contacting me so late, I gave her my debit card with implict instructions to only charge the room rate. After asking why they contacted me so late, she hung up on me. Of course I have the room rate charged and a pending authorizaton of $100.00 being held hostage in my back account by the hotel. I contacted the front desk manager, Daugh and asked if this is how they normally treat their guests. He repeated called me a liar about them attempting to contact me. The hotel phone has a caller id as does my cell and there were no missed calls or voicemails from the front desk. In today's day and age, it is hard to believe that someone would not leave a voicemail? Anyway after researching the charges, I have called the hotel requesting an immediate call back from the manager to address the obviuosly fraudulent charges....with no response.

This hotel is in a bad neighborhood and I had to stay there out of desparation. I would not recommend it to anyone. Please look elsewhere!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
WingateCharlestonMGR, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
I am very sorry for your trouble during your stay. I hope that our phone discussion has helped clear up many items and given you a more favorable outlook on our hotel. As we discussed there have been a few changes made to insure a situation like this doesn't happen again to any future guest. I thank you for your comments and for talking with me on the phone to clear this situation up.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

First of all, the hotel was clean, neat, safe and the room was comfortable. The free breakfast is underwhelming, but having fresh fruit and soft drinks available all day was great.

I had two problems.

First of all, the front desk manager who checked me in was a "kidder." When I told him my name at check in he claimed not to have a reservation for me. When he saw how crestfallen I was, he immediately told me that he was "kidding." While I have as good a sense of humor as anyone, after a 10-hour drive I did not find him amusing. At all.

Secondly, the same manager took my credit card and assured me that I could charge drinks/food at the hotel next door (owned by the same company) to my room. When I attempted to do so, the bartender was loud and rude and the experience embarrassing. She loudly proclaimed, in front of a bar full of people that there was no record of my credit card being on file, and that I would have to pay her directly. Whatever. I paid my tab. This young woman is not going to win any prizes for her intelligence. When I ordered a vodka-soda with a splash of cranberry, she asked me if I wanted Coke in my drink. Seriously? I had to explain the concept of soda water to her. This hotel is in my hometown. We didn't used to grow them so dumb.

Other issues included breakfast employees yelling at each other in front of customers – thankfully about food.

I will stay here again. It's reasonably priced and the closest hotel to friends and family. And, I've already sent management an e-mail about my experiences.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thank you for the review and for bringing these matters to our attention. I am glad that the room was comfortable and that you felt safe at our hotel. The staff interactions that you experienced are not typical and we are using this review to illustrate to our staff examples for service improvement. If you wish to discuss this over the phone I can be reached at 304-744-4444, and please ask for Beverly King.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were happy in every way. The hot tub was sparkling clean and they had a great breakfast. I left a wall plug module for my tablet there and called them the next day. They checked the room and found it. My only complaint is that they said they would use fedex to ship it back the cheapest way but it ended up being a $21.24 charge to do so. The module was smaller than a walnut so I can't believe there wasn't a cheaper way.

The Los Agaves Mexican restaurant is 1 block away and had very good food at good prices.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed Los Agaves, and that you were happy with your stay. I am sorry for the misunderstanding about shipping methods and we will make sure there is a better procedure in place in the future so that charges like that are known in advance. I look forward to seeing you in the future!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The rooms were large, the decorating was fabulous. Very nice. Everyone was nice. There is a pool next door at the Holiday Inn Express that can be used by the people at the Wingate. Short walk over.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to give our hotel a review. I am so happy that you had a pleasant stay and I would like to thank you for the kind words about our Staff and the rooms. We do have a spa here at the Wingate, but for a full size pool, we do have the arrangement with the Holiday Inn next door to let our guests use their pool, and it is a very short walk next door. Glad you had fun end enjoyed it! I hope to see you again!
Plymouth, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Found this hotel on hotwire. I didn't know what to expect because personally i've never stayed at a wingate before. it was very clean with a nice lobby. Rooms were very comfortable overall the rooms were nice. They have a wide variety of breakfast with a nice lobby area to eat it. Another plus is that they offer free wi-fi which is very helpful. This hotel is very close to downtown Charleston and is vey close to th highway. The only downside is that it is in a weird area and kinda made me raise my eyebrow. But overall nice stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
I'm so glad you did find us! I'm pleased our hotel was also your first experience with a Wingate Hotel and that you found it such a great place to stay. Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel and I look forward to seeing you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Charleston
Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
Four Points by Sheraton Charleston
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charleston South
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#2 of 3 in South Charleston
4.0 of 5 stars 314 reviews
Hampton Inn Charleston - Downtown
Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Charleston? Share your experiences!