“New Favorite in Place to Stay in Charleston”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My family has stayed at several hotels in Charleston, normally in the downtown area. This was the first time we stayed in South Charleston and will definitely return. While this hotel is a short, 10 minute drive to Laidley Field, the Civic Center and the mall, it is also surrounded by much shopping and restaurant choices, including the Longhorn Steakhouse right next door. The rooms were clean, beds very comfortable (including four pillows on each bed), the showers refreshing. The complimentary breakfast was hotel standard, but still a very convenient start to our full days at the state high school championship track meet. The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. Check-in and out was smooth. The HI Express-Southridge is definitely our new go-to hotel when in the Charleston area!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank GoMountaineers85
scwvexpress, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Gomountaineers85,

Thank you!!!!!! I am so glad to hear that our hotel is now your favorite place to stay when in Charleston. I am really glad to hear that all aspects of the hotel were to your liking. We all work very hard to give great service and product to our guest and it warms my heart to hear we were able to exceed your expectations. We all love our hotel and we are happy to hear you loved your experience with us. We look forward to having you back hopefully for your next track meet.

Holiday Inn Express & Suites; S. Charleston, WV

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My family just finished up a 6 day trip from Georgia to Canada, and this hotel was our first stop en route.
We have agreed that it was the best hotel experience we had on the trip.
Front desk/check in/check out: Friendly, efficient, and the clerk went out of his way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. He was able to take care of a room situation that was my fault during booking, which was unbelievably helpful after 8 hours on the road with 2 small children. He also changed us to a ground floor room at my request to facilitate dragging in luggage for 4 people. He made sure to fill me in completely concerning breakfast and the swimming pool. We also received 2 bottles of water for being Platinum members.
Room: The room was quite large (2 Queen Beds on the ground floor). We found the beds to be comfortable, the bedding to be more than sufficient, and as always we love the variety of pillows.
In room amenities: The fridge was wonderful to have available. And can I just say that I immediately ordered the same shower head found in the bathroom when I returned home? Plenty of towels and I loved the unique sink.
Cleanliness of room: Room was sparkly clean.
Hotel amenities: The indoor heated pool was wonderful after a long drive. No jacuzzi. The pool was an excellent temperature and very clean. There were some rowdy teenage boys in the pool while we were there, but these things happen and are not reflection on the hotel.I loved that the exercise room was separated from the pool facility by a large window, so my husband was able to work out while still being able to see us. Pool towels were abundant.
Breakfast: Plentifully stocked with multiple options, we enjoyed breakfast immensely. This hotel did not contain the famous pancake maker that I have read so much about (unless I missed it), but you couldn't ask for a better variety of milk, fruit, cereal, eggs, bagels, etc.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
scwvexpress, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Lauren P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We are delighted to hear your good words regarding our hotel being in a superb location, helpful staff and clean rooms. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.
Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Great place! Truly hospitable staff.

They seem to have put a lot of money back into this property.

I booked a suite and it was above average, for a Holiday Inn. Very nice!

Make sure you request a room on the opposite end of the building from the RR tracks unless you have a train fetish.

My room was in the middle of the building and noise was not an issue.

Awesome pool and a free breakfast Buffett!

I highly recommend this place. I would rate it a 5/5 within the HI brand if the location was better.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
scwvexpress, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear UnitedMillionMiller,

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know how we did during your recent stay with us. I am so glad you noticed our changes and enjoyed the hotel. We sincerely appreciate you kind words and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here 1 night on business. This is the nicest Holiday Inn Express I've ever encountered. Front desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Located in a great and convenient part of South Charleston. Room was in great shape. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
scwvexpress, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Hello STLtraveldave,

I was so excited to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I also think we are the best Holiday Inn Express; but I am biased. I am glad our staff was helpful and the room met all of your expectations. I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to let us know . We hope if you are in the Charleston area in the future please stay with us again.

Holiday Inn Express & Suites; Charleston, WV

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The service is great at this hotel - the friendliest staff I have seen in a while. It is everything you would expect from a HI Express: clean, decent breakfast, friendly staff, and good value. It did have an indoor pool (that I didn't see advertised on the website). This was a pleasant surprise for the kids. The location is also great as it is in a large shopping center near restaurants and stores, and only a few minutes from downtown. The internet worked well and the amenities were all good. My only complaint was that the lobby area was small, making for an odd layout in the breakfast area and a tight fit to the pool with the vending machines in that hallway. A minor complaint to an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
scwvexpress, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear kingmba,

I want to sincerely thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your experience. We love to hear that the hotel was everything you expected and the pool was a surprise for your kids. We constantly strive to have all of our guest love our hotel as much as we do. We hope you will return soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I reserved the room online and thought I was booking for the HIX Civic Center on Kanawha Boulevard, however, when I went to check-in, I realized that my room was booked at the HIX Southridge on RHL Boulevard. The HIX Civic Center was not available at the time I made the reservation, but on the night of my stay, there were quite a few rooms available. However, the reservation I made through Get a Room.com was non-cancellable, so I could not change hotels. Furthermore, the HIX Southridge does not have a shuttle service, so I had to hire a taxi to go to my meeting at the Civic Center.
When I checked in to the Southridge HIX, there was no water. I checked with the front desk and was informed by the manager that it would be back on in about an hour. Approximately 2 hours later the water was still not on and I was told it would be about another hour. The manager was apologetic, very courteous, and even provided free drinking water due to the inconvenience. I went to my meeting at the Civic Center and when I returned later that evening, the water was back on.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Frank R
scwvexpress, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Frank R,

I want to thank you for staying at our hotel. Many times reservations booked via third party sites can not be cancelled. I want to again apologize about the water situation at our hotel, and thank you for understanding. We hope when you are back in the Charleston area you choose to stay with us.

Linda Porter; Guest Service Manager

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I used my points for a get away for my wife and I we chose this location for all of the nearby shopping ..we arrived and were greeted by a very friendly gentlemen lobby was clean and well kept room was clean and descent sized, bathroom was clean with a beautiful glass sink which I have never saw in any other HIE great water pressure endless hot water.. was not impressed with chair in the room not comfortable and had very low arms but that wasnt a huge issue now the only real problem was the bed I stay in motels over 200 days a year and stay in HIE on a regular basis and I must say this was the worst and hardest bed I have ever slept on..esp being a HIE I was disappointed usually HIE has the most comfortable beds of anybody..not here this was the worst ever..besides this all was good... people, breakfast and cleanliness..I would probably not stay here again unless speaking with manager first to see if mattress' have been replaced with standard HIE mattress...

Room Tip: I would check mattress comfortability before taking room