“Convenient to shopping, but will not stay again.”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge
Vienna, West Virginia
“Convenient to shopping, but will not stay again.”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Elevator and squeaky air conditioner kept us up all night. Maybe it's an OK hotel, but demand a room away from the elevator shaft.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We were breaking up a long drive from Virginia Beach and I had researched the area and saw that it was nice. After accidently booking the wrong night at the Hampton Inn, we were desperate for a room at 11:30pm. We were relieved they had a room ... it's in a great area and looked very modern and clean. We got to the room and I immediately noticed the floor hadn't been swept, but with weary kids (&
parents) I decided to overlook it. While my husband was downstairs getting sheets for the pull out couch (no sheets in the room) I checked out the bathroom...a beautiful bathroom, except there was a half used shampoo bottle and soap in the shower and the floor obviously hadn't been swept. I called down to the front desk and she immediately came up and cleaned it herself. She even cleaned the jacuzzi. She was very apologetic. We finally got into bed and I couldn't stand it...the bed had been neatly made but I flipped the light on and checked the bed...sure enough I stopped counting "little hairs" at about 10 and yelled at my husband to get out of the bed. I went downstairs to get new sheets while he took them off the bed. She was apologetic again and offered to change the bed, but I told her the kids were already asleep and I would do it myself. She said she would get me a discount. I was glad to hear that, but I was so upset because if I had been at a Hampton, it would have been free because of their 100% satisfaction guarantee!! I certainly wasn't satisfied. We slept well considering and the breakfast was decent. They did give us a meager discount which was appreciated. Overall, I think the hotel is nice. It seems a housekeeper thought no one would notice if they neatly made the bed and wiped off the bathroom counter!! Glad it was at the end of my trip not the beginning. Moral of story...check everything before you get too comfortable. Even the nicest hotels can have a lazy staff person from time to time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Princeton, West Virginia
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I stayed here this week with my 3 kids. I was hesitant because of some of the reviews on here, but I called and they assured me that they did not have bed bugs. The girl said someone had falsely those reviews. My husband frequently stays at Holiday Inns, so we decided to take the chance. I checked the room very thoroughly and saw nothing. The room was very clean, no smell or mold, and the bathroom was clean. The staff was nice upon check in and very helpful when we needed extra towels and blankets. The breakfast bar was well stocked and kept up with as well. We would definitely stay here again. Our only complaint was that there was too much chlorine in the hot tub causing it to be cloudy and sting your eyes. The pool was fine though.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Room smelled bad and room was dirty with mold in air conditioner and bathroom. Sheets were stained and towel racks were rusty.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank USER12309866878
Huntington, WV
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My family and I stayed here in early April 2010. Upon check in, I though the hotel was very nice and on par with other HI Express properties. The kids enjoyed the pool and they had a nice hot tub in the pool area. However...

My youngest son woke me because he was having a bad dream. I got up to adjust the air conditioner and couldn't see the controls so I turned on the light. Good thing I did because my wife discovered a tiny black bug crawling on the pillow. We pulled back the blankets and discovered several bed bugs crawling all over both beds.

We woke the kids, packed our stuff, and left immediately. I stopped by the front desk to let them know and the night clerk was apologetic but was otherwise unhelpful in getting us another room elsewhere.

Hopefully, they will resolve the issue but I understand these problems are difficult to solve.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank nextidiot
north carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I stayed here for two days and it was great. The staff was wonderful and understanding. My car was in the shop for two days which sucked, but the hotel was just across the street from the dealership. There were so many restaurants near the hotel and shopping I didn't even need my car. The HOTEL WAS CLEAN and everything in the hotel was new. REALLY NICE. Even though it was an express it was more like a marriott property. Everything was nice and new, the rooms look very modern and up to date. The beds were so comfortable and my favorite they DO NOT have bed spreads on their beds, thats GREAT. That always make me uneasy and hotels. I would stay here AGAIN.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed December 10, 2009

My reason for staying at this hotel was because I have stayed here numerous times before with my husband, but this time it was with my parents. I was having surgery the following morning at Thomas Memorial and lived an hour away so to be sure that I would be there on time at 5AM I figured I had better stay in Charleston.Anyways, I reserved two connection rooms. One for my parents and one for me. Well just a couple days before the stay my Mother was telling me about a show that she had watched called "Dr. Oz" and on this show he was discussing the topic of bed bugs in hotels and how bad they were. Well out of her curiousty she starts looking at my bed in my room and starts examing the matress and low and behold she finds not one or two but a WHOLE HUGE NEST of bed bugs! So I start freaking out and move my things outta that room ASAP in the mean time my Dad starts checking the beds in their room and guess what! They had bed bugs too!!!! And not just a few but nests of them. He even touched one with his finger to make sure that it was def. a bed bug and not just something else and it actually busted on his finger and whoever it had feasted on the nigth before my Dad was now wearing their blood. EEEEKKKKK! My Dad even put one in a napkin and took it to the front desk and it actually jumped outta the napkin and onto the desk and the lady seemed to be used to it or something. No reaction at all from her. She offered us a diffrent room and we had to take it because it was already by this time 2:30 in the AM and I had to be at the hospital at 5AM so we seen no use in trying to find another hotel. Needless to say once we got to this other room we checked it out and didn't see anything, but none of us got any sleep. We basically went to this other room just to get ready to leave. So please at all cost AVOID this hotel. And something else interesting while we were there the whole 2nd floor was CLOSED due to putting in new furnature. Seems a little fishy to me I say it was to try and get rid of their infestation of BED BUGS!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
#1 of 3 in South Charleston
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charleston South
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#2 of 3 in South Charleston
Four Points by Sheraton Charleston
Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge? Share your experiences!