“Great skiing - lots of variety”

Snowshoe Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Snowshoe
More attraction details
Owner description: Start with an 11,000 acre playground serving up the best of the mountains, however you like it. Your days here are like having dessert first. Our Village is situated atop the mountain and gives you access to spa-ing, shopping and even dancing. It all feels better at 4,848 feet.
Reviewed March 8, 2007

Snowshoe is a great place to go for people in the Midwest and East Coast (excluding those near Vermont). I always find lots of variety and feel comfortable bringing beginners there because there are a lot of green trails for them to learn on. For those more experienced, there are several blue and black diamond trails as well including the Western territory featuring Cupp Run - a mile and a quarter long run that matches some trails I've been on out West.

Getting there isn't easy but totally worth it. Night skiing at Silver Creek sucks though and it takes forever for the bus to come. I can't comment on the activities or restaurants in the area since my friends and I would just bring food to cook.

2  Thank Lovanna

Reviewed February 19, 2007

While Snowshoe is quite a drive, we had a wonderful time Snowboarding. We did not stay on the mountain due to a late booking - instead we stayed at the Morning Glory B&B located at the bottom of the mountain. The Service there was great. The Skiing conditions were great as we got snow the second day. This is by far the best resort we have been to in the mid atlantic and has the best verticial drop. The village was a nice place to go to in the evenings for dinner, but they seemed to have places for all ages. We will definitly being heading back to Snowshoe!

5  Thank scampbell2324
Reviewed September 25, 2006

Snowshoe Resort is by far THE BEST ski resort on the east coast and it is even better to visit during the summer! During the winter, it is much better to go during the week. Crowds are way out of control on the weekend. And, if at all possible, take your own ski equipment.

The Foxfire, Junction and Cheat Mountain Pizza are the best places to eat in the village. Skip the Bistro ... it's not worth the price and the service is awful. Foxfire has the best service. STAY IN THE VILLAGE. It is so nice to be in the heart of the village and be within walking distance of buying your tickets to all events (which are all well-coordinated).

Take your time and go during the week. It is well worth the trip.

17  Thank Cindy C
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Great place to go any season, whether a family, a couple or with friends. I found every facility I entered to be very well maintained and property management keeps everything clean. Summer is a little more quiet with swimming, hiking and relaxing being the activities. The accomodations I have stayed in are small and you will want to stick with the max persons per room. I've enjoyed staying in the village as swimming, dining and shopping are right there.

4  Thank autdog
Reviewed March 14, 2006

Overall we had a great time at Snowshoe Mountain. We stayed at the Shamrock Condos in the North Mountain area. Our condo was rated broze which was the cheapest area. For two nights of lodging plus 3 days lift tickets, we paid $160/person which I think is a fantastic deal.

The skiing was great. It was an unseasonally warm weekend and we had a great time skiing in our long sleeves and ski pants. Lift lines were long, it was a weekend afterall, but they moved quickly.

Our condo, Shamrock #8, smelled a little funky. What we didn't know when we made the reservation through Snowshow Central reservations was that the condos are privately owned and they act as a broker. I guess that is why they say that furnishings may vary. There were really no amenities like a hotel would give you. The towels were clean but had been washed in a detergent that smelled like coffee and mushrooms. It literally made me gag. The place was clean on the surface, but when we moved the couch to get a better view of the TV, we found old pretzels and other assorted goodies.
I think if we go back again next year, we will pay the extra cash to stay in the village and get a gold or platinum room.

The restaurants were really good. They were a little pricey and the waits were really long. They don't have capacity enough for the crowds and being in the middle of nowhere, it is your only option for food. you just have to go there with that attitude and hang out at the bar before you eat. That is what we did and it worked out well.

I really liked the Village. The stores were really cute. It was expensive, but resorts area always expensive.

So, my best advice is stay in the village, get at least a Silver lodging package, prepare yourself for crowds and you will have the time of your life.

20  Thank pilarkitty