“Decent place to stay for skiing”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Snowcrest Condos

Snowcrest Condos
pennsylvania
“Decent place to stay for skiing”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at Snowcrest for 3 nights at the end of December. It was basic (no hair dryer, coffee, shampoo etc.) but it was a one bedroom condo (they call it standard). It did have dishes and towels and linens. It was clean but dated. Not unlike other ski resorts I have been to. Snowcrest is located on the far right of the mountain and you have to either drive or take a tram ( or ski) to the main village. There are two restaurants in the two neighboring hotels and you can ski out of the hotel two doors over but it is a bit of a hike with gear on. There is also a shuttle that will take you to the food and skiing that runs about every 15 minutes. There was nothing wrong with Snowcrest and our friends stayed next door at Top of the World and they said Snowcrest was much better. There are hot tubs on the main floor and a small game room also. If I went back I would probably stay somewhere in the village just to be closer to more restaurants and the shops. Oh by the way, our biggest issue with Snowshoe was that there is no phone service at all unless you have att. It felt like the dark ages. You can get Wi-Fi in certain buildings but nothing on the slopes. We were in a large group and it made it impossible to get in touch with each other and someone was always lost. We also had a college age daughter left at home and couldn't check in with her unless we called from the hotel room and for that you needed to buy a calling card. It was really a pain.

Room Tip: Stay near the village
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pgalaska

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed November 15, 2012

You have to realize that many of these condos are individually owned, and therefore vary greatly in ammentities, cleanliness, comfort etc. You are much better off renting directly from the owner -through sites such as VRBO - so that you can see pictures of the actual unit and talk to the owner to get answers to your questions. The public areas are basic, but the hot tubs are nice, and the shuttle service is very spot-on. At this particular location, you are at the very top of the mountain, and it can get very windy here - the nicest part are that most of the units have wood burning fireplaces with wood provided for the entire site, so the units can be very cozy.

Room Tip: Rent from individual owners.
Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lona_8
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Filthiest accommodations I have ever stayed at with outdated rooms that were not cleaned prior to arrival with cobbwebs , stains all around, urine smell, and broken furniture. School bus shuttles take you to village which packed you in like a bunch of elementary school kids. Restaurants all had over 1.5 hour wait for dinner. worst accommodations I have ever had and cost over $300 a night for a disgusting 2 bedroom. Would never return!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Htmcmanus

Travelers are raving about these Snowshoe hotels

Ohio
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Recently went to Snowshoe- slope conditions were perfect! We stayed @ Snowcrest condominiums- near Soaring Eagle Lift- the condo was great for 2 people- very cozy with a stone fireplace,beautiful mountain views with a balcony. The place is very well run with a friendly on-site manager. Would prefer staying here than in the Village which can get noisy.

• Liked — mountain views
  • Disliked — loved all of it
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank skibumOhio
Reviewed January 8, 2006

My husband and I have gone on road trips across the country and back. I'm actually not that picky, but I had to post this on travel advisor after all the money we spent. My last time staying at snowshoe was well over 10 years ago. My husband and I opted to bypass Winterplace skiing and stay at the Snowcrest condos in the Snowshoe resort area. We usually take one big ski trip a year on the east coast. Now, I think we will save money and go west again! The prices were hard to swallow when we booked our trip to Snowshoe, but we thought it would be worth it. Boy, we were wrong! Save your money folks. I agree with other write ups on customer service. The staff sit around and talk to each other without helping and making you feel like a "bother". The expert rental ski shop in the Top of the World mountain is a perfect example as we waited 10 minutes to even be recognized by the staff as we stood there and watched them chit chat to be told we were in the wrong rental shop. Our biggest complaint was that a lot of the staff was from S. America or from rural areas (which is fine-no bias on my end), but didn't have the English skills to be working in the areas they were working in. Our reservationist down to the a food server who didn't understand the word "steak" (and then picked her nose after we left and she was the one who served us food!) it was just unbelieveable. We had a parking guy trying to help us catch the correct shuttle as he spit out his chewing tobacco and made no sense to about 10 of us who were all tourists. He kept raising his voice like we were crazy the more questions we asked. The maps were poorly drawn and I'm sure he was frustrated as he probably encounters this every day. We encountered many a tourist who agreed with us that the maps and shuttle pick up points (times not listed) on the map were not user friendly. Two of the staff members actually gave me the wrong info about where my hotel was on the map. The reservationist had to ask someone since she was clueless. The indoor/outdoor pool is really a neat feature in the winter, but for all the problems and high prices I'd just rather go somewhere with a jacuzzi and save money. The condo had several jaccuzis in the middle, which was cool, but the music inside this area could be heard all the way to my door it was so loud. Luckily it snowed for us the whole time and we skiied a lot, but we still encountered some ice off and on while skiing (not snowshoes fault-mainly mother nature!). Snowblowing is aggrevating on some of the slopes as is so loud and blows in your face (again, more reason to go out west!). As far as accomodations they were nice, but everyone was looking for a lighter for their wood (which you think they could at least provide some matches since they provide firewood at no cost!). The reception on the TV was a joke. Most channels were fuzzy. The elevators smelled so bad we think someone actually sprayed cologne in it to cover the smell over and it was falling apart on the inside (not something you want to see). I was surprised they expect you to take out the trash when you leave and do the dishes. Didn't I pay a huge amount for your housekeeping staff to do this? And, where is the garbage area anyhow? We never found it! My husband and I agreed that they must not have a very good training program for the people who come in. They need new maps that are more detailed and user friendly where they actually show each hotel and restaurant and shuttle pick up in an easier way. They need to have a test to see if certain people can speak English before throwing them behind a counter to check people in. From what I understand the company mainly owns all the accomodations on the mountain. Too bad. Wish I had a rich friend who could build a more affordable and better run place up there. They need to study Disney's customer training program! When I checked out a man was furious that he had been overcharged and demanded to talk to a manager as he had tried to clear it up over and over again with no avail. Seeing this and experiencing all we did combined with an steep price, well...
My money is going somewhere else on next years ski trip! Maybe yours should too.
PS Check out Winterplace for a more affordable trip. We know from experience.

• Stayed January 2006