The Wells Inn
Budget Inn of America(New Martinsville)
$55
$84
$93
$71
$62
Red Roof Inn Marietta(Marietta)(Great Value!)
$59
Red Roof
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I remembered going to the Wells Inn years ago and it being a great get-away expereince. It was something I had found out about from multiple family members. While I have been in much need of a weekend away from everything, I had made a reservation about a month ago. Unfortunately, had a family emergnecy come up yesterday and was in a location where I could not get service to my phone or a way to reach and cancel my reservation. So I have contacted them today as soon as had the availability to locate the number and call to cancel my reservation that was for the entire weekend. Explained why I was not able to call yesterday. The woman that had answered the phone was incredibly unpleasant and frankly down right rude about it. Needless to say, there was no compassion or understanding there and I will be getting charged for tonight when I am unable to make it because of unforseen circumstances.

What bothers me the most about this, is just how rude she had come across on the phone. I was not rude about anything, I had called to cancel and just simply explain the situation in hopes of not having to pay the night I would not even be able to enjoy my weekend away. I understand they have a cancellation policy in place and am not argumentative about that. What I do not understand is how on earth will this place manage in the service industry when there is no customer service skills from the beginning?

Because of the way of treatment on the call has gone, it is simple to say - I will never be going back to this location to stay in the future. I used to recommend just how unique this place was for others to go - and now not only would I never recommend this place, I am sure my family will not be going back either. So with the lack of service or understanding - they have benefited in being able to charge me for one night of stay due to the cancellation policy.. and have lost out on future stays from myself, my family, and from future recommendations. Horrible business practice on their behalf that is more damaging then anything.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank tniya
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Just spent the weekend at the Wells Inn, grant you it was still being worked on but we had a great time and the people were wonderful, we talked to the owner for a while and he was very friendly..They sure do have a lot of hard work in the future, but I know they will get it done..The room was very clean and the food was delicious, will definitely go back..

Room Tip: Just give the Wells Inn a chance, they are trying real hard to please
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sandy K
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was born & raised in the Sistersville area and can remember when the Wells Inn was really nice. I was shocked when I walked in and found that the check in desk were 2 card tables with a pc on it. Lots of junk and papers all over the floor behind it. Lady wanted us to pay upon check-in for our 2 night stay. Never had to do that before! She was rude and very unfriendly. Never told us that breakfast was included---which was the best part of this experience. The beautiful dark wood crown and trim has been painted white! Rooms are very plain. The loveseat cushions were so worn out that you would sink way down. Had a office chair and a old plastic bench covered with a brown hand towel in the tv room. Bathroom was extremely small and old. 2 bedrooms with full size beds. One room had a dresser. Rooms not insulated well--you can hear people walking and talking outside room. They have a lot of work to do. It's sad to see this great old hotel that was once a true gem in this condition. I don't think they have much experience with running a hotel and it shows. Told room would be ready by 3-3:30pm. Checked in at 4 and she told us they needed another 30 mins! Had made reservation over a month ago. It's definitely not the W in Atlanta! Could be very charming again, but the frumpy lady at the desk unfortunately makes all the decorating decisions. The food is excellent and they give you plenty of it. Wait staff in dining room excellent. They need some hotel management courses.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank wvugal82
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I am happy to be able to report that the Wells Inn is making a fantastic comeback. I started going to the inn during the 1960s when it was the elegant "in place" in northern West Virginia. However, in recent years this building which is on the National Register of Historic Places, fell in disrepair and was in danger of being lost. Now, with the new and very competent management, the process of restoring the inn to its former glory is well under way. While the restoration project may take a while, the one thing that is already restored is the reputation for the food at the Wells Inn. A talented new chef is preparing meals that can be easily be compared with those served in the fine dining establishment of New York and my hometown of Washington, DC. At the present time you are welcome to bring your own wine as the inn is still in the process of obtaining its alcohol beverage license. It was certainly worth the five hour drive to spend an evening at the Wells Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Mike H
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I am a native West Virginian and grew up in Wetzel county. A friend who grew up in New Martinsville told me about the inn. I visit my dad who lives,across the river in Ohio. I called early evening for a room I was accommodated. Late that night I was looking for the inn and passed the street I was to turn on. I called for directions the night clerk came outside and stood on corner to make sure I found the inn. Then walked across the street where I parked to help with my over night bag. I checked in she escorted me to my room which is original decor. Breakfast was delious and cheery dining room. To my surprise was included in the room charge. I met the owner who personally gave me a tour of the renovations. I will stay there each visit to my dad. Which is 2 or more times a year. Sisterville as well as many places in Wva is rich with history.

• Stayed: May 2011