“Excellent hosts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gillum House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shinnston
Gillum House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Shinnston B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Excellent hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

A characterful house and a delicious and hearty breakfast. But Kathleen and John are the highlight. We enjoyed our wide-ranging conversation and left as friends. Kathleen is a one-person band on behalf of Shinnston. And, yes, she also plays in the town band. John is a talented artist and fun guy. If you want to know about Chicago, he's your guy. Hey, John, let's play two. Go Cubs.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ricksing
Queenofbudget, Owner at Gillum House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We also enjoyed your visit and were sorry it had to be so short. To get a conversation on music, art, and Chicago all in one visit was wonderful! Our annual Shinnston Community Band Concert is July 1. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to participate in the B&B for Vets this year. It is a program where veterans are offered B&B discounts or overnight stays at B&B's participating across the country during Veteran's Day weekend. Kathleen and her husband John, the hosts of the Gillum House, helped found the program a few years ago. When we arrived, my wife and I were not sure what to expect, since this was our first stay in a B&B, as well as our first time participating in the program. By the time we left a few days later, we had new friends and a new place to keep exploring in the future.
The Gillum house is a wonderful, older home with incredible warmth and character, nestled in a friendly little town, tucked into an area rich with history and nature's beauty. The B&B was easy to find and when we arrived, we were warmly greated by Kathleen. She quickly put us at ease and made us feel at home. We stayed in the Gillum Room which is furnished with "everyday" antiques and has a private bath. The room was cozy and the furnishings were very comfortable.
But, as nice as the house was, the hosts were what really made the trip. Kathleen is a woman of many talents. In addition to managing the B&B, keeping up with guests, and being an incredible cook, Kathleen also participates in just about every city function, activity, and group possible. We don't know how she manages to spread herself around so much. But, each morning was filled with an unbelievable spread of breads, fruits, juices, coffees and teas! John is a talented individual, too. His wonderful artwork is all around the house. The two of them made us feel like family and when we weren't out exploring the town and surrounding countryside, we were regaled with wonderful stories and great conversation.
As a side note, beef up on your coffee and tea knowledge. Kathleen stocks coffee and teas from everywhere around the world!
The Gillum house is not just a place to stay or a place to hub from when visiting the local area, it is an experience ... a place to go when you want to get away, but still want to be "home" each night. We can't thank Kathleen and John enough for their hospitality, graciousness, and warmth.
This is a place you want to go back to again and again!
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pakratbob
Queenofbudget, Owner at Gillum House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
The B & Bs For Vets Program is what I consider my greatest accomplishment after my family. It is for folks like you who served our Country to protect us and our Freedoms. But even more, it is for the partners – your wife – who packed up the household and moved every time new orders were received, took care of the family and everything else, put personal plans aside for the future because another duty station would be coming soon, and do it all with an “all is well” attitude.
It gives us much pleasure and satisfaction to see our guests return from a day of discovering “MY” West Virginia and all it has to offer and to see what an unknown gem it is.
Thank you for visiting the shops of Shinnston. We hope you will return for our Shinnston Community Band Concerts (first Saturday in December and the Sunday closest to July 4) and other events/Fairs/Festivals in the area. We truly look forward to seeing you again.
And I cannot express my pleasure to serve breakfasts that guests enjoy. It was fun to roast coffees from so many continents and to see your wife enjoying the selections of teas - we still have quite a few to be tried since we have aporximately 20 countries of green coffee beens and over 100 varieties of tea.
South Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stay in many hotels and B&Bs for business and recreational activities. I find a B&B a little more relaxing than a hotel, and Gillum House was just that. The Panek's accommodated my need for an early breakfast time and were quite helpful with getting my "stuff" into the house since the local carnival was literally right out the door. I was provided with a clean and well-appointed room and bath, which is my highest priority. Though a lifelong WV resident, I learned a little more about the Shinnston area and even spent a little time at the perpetual chapel. They are really great community supporters. Try it, you'll like it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Karen R
Queenofbudget, Owner at Gillum House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Gillum House. - even with a carnival. Not every B & B will give you entertainment like that! Our Frontier Days is the biggest festival in our City for the year - the third week of September. We were pleased that you were also able to experience our Chapel while you were here.

The next big event in Shinnston will be our Christmas Parade - the first Saturday in December each year - followed by the Christmas Concert by the Shinnston Community Band. We hope you will join us for this. The Community Band is in its 16th year and is comprised of musicians aged from 12 to in their 80s!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

My wife and I booked a last minute stay at Gillum House on our way to a wedding in Kentucky (driving from Philadelphia). Kathy could not have been more welcoming or helpful from the first phone call to seeing us off after our stay.

We expected a clean, convenient (minutes from I-79) stay, with an interesting flair that one expects from a good B & B. What we didn't expect was the warmth and accommodation offered by Kathy at her beautiful home. She was informative about the accommodations and willing to share her story and that of the property. The house is adorned with beautiful art created by her husband, each of which has a story behind it. Breakfast the next day was amazing and she even gave us coffee to go!

We would definitely stay at Gillum House again and would recommend it to our friends.

Best,
B and R

Room Tip: The Gillum Room was the only bed bigger than a twin, so we chose that. It had great light-blocking c...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeoplesLawyer
Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

My stay at the Gillum house was the best experience I have had at any Bed Breakfast and barn. The house was lovely the host and hostess were gracious. The food was great.
The barn was close and the stall was clean. Parking for the truck and trailer was easy. There were horses close by but not to close.
I had a blow out on my trailer on the highway about 10 miles before my exit to the Gillum house, the hostess came to my rescue waited with me while the tire was changed, She then lead me back to the barn, waited while I unloaded my animals, then lead me the the house. She then proceeded to get on the phone and find me another tire. WOW! I can not recommend this place more highly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Queenofbudget, Owner at Gillum House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 15, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We so enjoyed your time with us. John is still marveling over how many people from his past you knew and how many names tossed at him that he, although not knowing them, was aware of. We are so happy you enjoyed the Parade and being in it. You got to see how West Virginia, and especially Shinnston, feel about our Veterans.

It is our pleasure to be able to thank 2 Veterans (and when both people of the couple are Veterans, more) each year with a 3-night stay so they can explore West Virginia. Our location is such that 5 of the 9 Tourism Regions are day trips for exploring covered bridges, wineries, history, and scenery.

B & Bs For Vets is our way of showing gratitude to those who are willing to give so much for our Country - the Military and their spouse/partners. November 9 thru 11 are the only nights we do not give a 15% discount to those who put their lives on the line for the citizens of the United States - Military, Police, and Firemen - because those nights are free to the Military.
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

As avid "B&Bers" who have used them in such diverse countries as Portugal, Australia, Germany, UK and Scotland, as well as here in the USA we could not say enough good things about Mrs. Panek and her home. When we have stayed at B&Bs here in the USA we have usually coming away feeling a somewhat marginal experience factor. Not so with the Gillum House. Not only were the faciilties preferable to many hotels and motels I have stayed in during nearly 40 years of business travelling, the conversations with Mr. & Mrs. Panek were worth the trip by themselves. If you want good facilities, good food, comfortable surroundings and people who will hold your interest during conversations that are appropriate to you, your travels and your life experiences - this is it!

Room Tip: Ask Mrs. Panek for it and let her decide.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pswbutztc
Victoria Harbour, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

What a fabulous stay we had with Kathleen and John. They epitomize the B&B experience with oustanding, caring and down-to-earth hospitality, coupled with superb breakfasts and extremely interesting conversations. This B&B is a treasure trove of history,stories and ambience. We wish we could have stayed longer, as the first taste of this B&B leaves us yearning for more. Most definitely a place you don't want to miss.

Harry and Carol

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jabber69

Been to Gillum House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!