“Food is okay, but wear a blindfold”
Review of China Kitchen

China Kitchen
Ranked #26 of 37 Restaurants in Shepherdstown
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed March 13, 2012

One bad thing about living in West Virginia is the scarcity of ethnic restaurants. China Kitchen is one place we turn when we absolutely need something that resembles Chinese food. I'd say the food is just okay, but the place just seems unclean. No atmosphere at all. I'd suggest carry-out.

4  Thank VaBene001

Reviewed February 29, 2012

Average food, uninterested staff. If you're craving chinese food, you'll be satisfied, but there are definitely better places to go.

2  Thank SnarkyFoody
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The fact of the matter is that the chef smokes over the food, tea and "crunchy noodles" are reused and their containers are not cleaned. Plates, cups, and utensils are often rinsed and still dirty when they are placed back on the tables.

Servers (with one exceptions) are generally helpful and friendly but the owner has a habit of charging over and screaming at customers who are dissatisfied. She (the restaurant's owner) also makes it a habit of degrading her employees within earshot and eyesight of paying customers. It makes the "China Kitchen experience" uncomfortable for everyone.

It's cheap but not worth it. Please stop giving these despicable people your business, they don't deserve it.

10  Thank Regina S
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Really good chinese food. Usually we do takeout as the seating is a bit cramped. Very popular at lunch and dinner. We patronize it a couple times a month

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I'm not really sure what the deal is, as this is my second visit in just over a month, and this time I had the worst experience ever. I purchased Broccoli and Chicken for my wife, General Tso's for myself, and Crab Rangoon for all.

The Crab Rangoon was tasty as normal, but the General Tso's was horrible and caused some severe indigestion. I will reiterate that I adored, ADORED, this restaurant in the past, but something unfortunate must be going on for this to keep happening. The worst part was the fact that the General Tso's chicken didn't only have the hot peppers to accompany the sauce, but also were chopped up and cooked in with the chicken. This made it almost inedible, though I did try to finish it. My wife's Chicken and Broccoli was off as well, but not as disastrous as the General Tso's.

I am not trying to be negative as a means to trash their reputation, but only to bring back the China Kitchen of old. As stated before, the business has not been the same since they lost their sushi chef, but even so, their entrees should not be affected in this manner. Not going back until I hear things have changed.

7  Thank stownfoodie