“Blown away!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I normally don't review restaurants, but this one deserves to be touted! My boss and I took clients for dinner and everything from ambience to food to service was just wonderful! The serving sizes were perfect and the food was prepared beautifully. Hands down the BEST place I have ever eaten dinner! A bit pricey, but well worth it for a special occassion.

1  Thank Melissa H
There are newer reviews for The Press Room

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is the kind of restaurant that makes a place like Shepherdstown so special. Everything we ordered was just about as good as it gets. The service was a tad spotty -- slow delivery of wine, for example -- but the server was so friendly and down to earth it really didn't matter that much. I like to bring my own wine, but that's not permitted in WV. As it so happened, however, the wine list is brief, but the offerings were all solid and priced very very reasonably; clearly, they want you to have an enjoyable dinner. Question: How does a place like this get such variety in oysters? How do they shuck them so well; not one grain of sand? And how do they sell them so inexpensively? I splurged on a mixed dozen. My wife had the gorgonzola brule and was not enthused by the notion of giving me so much as a tiny taste...which demonstrated why she was so unwilling to share! Mmmmm. My only real complaint: They serve huge portions. I got the rack of lamb with eight -- EIGHT! -- chops. I had to leave one. That's the complaint. They make you want to eat more than you can! My wife ordered the scallops: They were superb: Fresh and cooked perfectly. This is the kind of restaurant that really makes a trip memorable. Bravo!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I am so glad I made my reservation a few weeks ago, because the Press Room was hopping when we arrived. Everyone at some point in there life should be a server in a restaurant because when it is busy you can understand if there are delays - I did not mind because we had no where to go and it caused me to take my time and enjoy the evening. That said, the drinks were great, food was good and desserts sinful.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We were referred to this place and unfortunately it disappointed some. The place itself is pretty and the staff was friendly, but the waiter gave our food to another table and brought us wrong drinks. The sea bass was great, the London broil was oily. The lavender creme brûlée, which I've had elsewhere, was overwhelmingly lavender. Overall, not impressed.

2  Thank Lorena G
Reviewed April 5, 2014

In a small town with several very good restaurant choices, The Press Room leads the pack. An outstanding menu augmented by some equally impressive seasonal specials. My wife had the warm Gorgonzola custard salad (terrific) and a half order of the pappardelle pasta with mushrooms which was quite ample for her main course. I chose the house salad with shaved fennel, mushrooms and red peppers on baby spinach and a daily special of monkfish, clams and mussels served over a sauce of tomatoes, red peppers, black olives and chick peas...truly delicious. Great wine list by the glass or bottle which included lots of very affordable and good quality wines to choose from. I could easily see making this a destination restaurant that we would happily return to over and over.

3  Thank Cabin2125