“Great Food in a Friendly Atmosphere”
Review of The Press Room

The Press Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Press Room is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is well prepared and seasoned. The staff is attentive but not overbearing. The oyster stew is one of my favorites and as good as any Ive had in New England.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I were in town for the day and decided to skip the Yellow Brick Bank and try something new. We're so glad we did. We ordered a bunch of small dishes and every one of them were excellent. Also ordered a dozen Washburn oysters and they were fresh and delicious. Great service too. Highly recommend.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by the manager of the B&B we stayed in and we were extremely pleased with our appetizers, salads, soups and main courses. The atmosphere inside the restaurant is warm and inviting. As mentioned by LucyRichmond in her review, the wine came in tumblers rather than in stem wear and that threw us off a bit. It was kind of like drinking out of a plastic cup and not in keeping with the type of restaurant.

Our server was very attentive and friendly..... until the "regulars" showed up. As soon as the "upper crust" from town were seated, we must have become invisible. Our server was assigned to 2 tables of "regulars" and her demeanor toward us changed immediately.

The check came quickly and without so much as a smile. We understand that "regulars" keep the place in business, but sites like TripAdvisoer might just level the playing field.

1  Thank Greg P
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our family went to the Press Room to celebrate our daughter's graduation. We really enjoyed the variety of Italian inspired appetizers (especially the salmon dish), entrees (the scallops were superb) and desserts. The wait staff were very friendly and able to answer all our questions (some in our party had dietary issues). While we won't have the opportunity to return in the near future, I am positive next time we are in that region we'll stop back for a delightful meal.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We chose The Press Room for a special meal out at the end of our stay visiting the Battlefields at Antietam. It came highly recommended by fellow Guests where we were staying and, I must admit, the restaurant and food did not disappoint.

Friendly and efficient service. The Appetizers are very tempting so we succumbed to one each rather than sharing as we normally do. Portions are generous so this proved not to be the wisest decision but both the Tuscany Shrimp and Mussels were excellent.

My husband had the special for the evening which was rack of lamb cooked perfectly. We finished it off for lunch the next day! I enjoyed my duck. The leg meat had been 'pulled' and mixed in with carrot and a jus I couldn't identify but it worked and made a pleasant change from having to chew one's way through a whole leg. Overall a success.

My one area of disappointment, which I have to admit took something out of the evening, was that our wine was served in what I can only call 'Dollar Store' tumblers. When we had gone to the trouble of dressing smartly and choosing what is undoubtably a quality restaurant, to be let down like this was not what we expected. They didn't have to be expensive glasses but part of the pleasure of drinking wine is swirling it around the glass and savouring each sip. The fact that this still rankles a couple of days after the event tells its own story.

That apart, the food and atmosphere are a cut above the norm and bearing in mind the overall quality we didn't think the prices were unreasonable.