“Service has fallen off”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The owners, the Chef and his wife, remain professionally cordial. But with the turn over in wait staff, I have to agree with the reviews of some others concerning service. It has degraded. And in some cases is down right snotty. And while I still frequent the Press Room, I do so less and feel less at home.
My original review ““Exceeds all others in the Quaint Old town.” Is here in amended.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a perfect meal with an outstanding waitress here. We will return when we come back to Shepherdstown.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I dined here on the recommendation of a local innkeeper, and we can now see why it is rated the #1 restaurant in Shepherdstown. While it is indeed a small town, this restaurant would be a standout in a much larger one! We sampled a variety of salads, all of which were excellent, but the real standout was one of their seasonal special entrees, roasted butternut squash canneloni with spinach and a creamy 4-cheese sauce. It was so good - comforted the palate and the soul! Service was leisurely but not slow, with the wait staff showing a good command of the menu items, ingredients, and the sufficiently extensive wine list. They actually had a gruner veltliner by the glass--not a bad thing! The kitchen focuses on fresh, seasonal, and local ingredients and makes the best of them. My husband ooh-ed and ah-ed over everything he tasted, which is high praise in and of itself. The menu is very reasonably priced, especially for the quality. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Teresita_Herndon_VA
Reviewed October 26, 2012

If you are in, or around, the Sheperdstown area don't miss the opportunity to eat at The Press Room. One of the best meals that I've had in my travels.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We frequent this restaurant often. The last couple times the quality of the wait staff has slowly deteriorated. An example: my salad of served to my hands directly instead on the table.... like I was at a cafeteria!!
Our last visit was scarred by the unprofessional manner of the management.... We have decided to stay away from this establishment until they get their act together.