“Funky and cool with great potential”
Review of Domestic

Domestic
Ranked #11 of 36 Restaurants in Shepherdstown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I stopped in for a late lunch on a weekday just on happenstance. The menu in the window looked like it would accommodate both his love of meat and my vegetarian philosophy.

The place is well decorated, not cluttered at all. The seat in the window was nice and let us watch the world go by during lunch. The food all seems freshly prepared.

We started with the Crispy Battered Fried Green Beans which were crunchy outside, firm and juicy inside and served hot from the kitchen. The accompanying aioli dipping sauce was tasty.

My husband's Turkey/Bacon/Swiss sandwich was OK by his standards. He was dissappointed that the turkey was not sliced breast but deli-style sandwich meat. My Spinach salad with Yellow Beets, Onions, Strawberries was very tasty. Fresh spinach leaves and strawberries although I felt there could have been a few more beets. The Balsamic Vinaigrette was just the right amount. I do hate it when restaurants drown the salad.

The waitress seemed a unsure about some of the ingredients, himming and hawing before offering to check with the kitchen.

We'll keep it mind when we visit Shepherdstown again, but there are other standout places in town. I hope Domestic will continue to evolve and join their ranks because it is a cool place.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Quirky menu, clean, simple décor and a cool vibe...that's Domestic! We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at this new restaurant in Shepherdstown. I had the fried barbecue chicken with broccoli mac & cheese. The chicken was tender and the barbecue sauce southern sweet. My son had the dog duo with psychedelic relish and fire relish--an interesting way to serve the all-American hot dog. He enjoyed the fire relish, but felt the psychedelic relish was rather bland. My husband had the flank steak with horseradish smashed potatoes which he thought was tasty. Our favorite item was the pork belly nachos with chipotle aioli and slaw. LOVED IT! The combination of the tender pork belly, spicy aioli and cool cole slaw was perfect.

There are plenty of unique restaurants in Shepherdstown, but this may top them all!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

First time in Shepherdstown and just happened upon this restaurant. Great experience from start to finish. Creative dishes, well prepared, generous portions, and all dinner entries under $20. I had the pork chop and my friend the chicken parm. We both thought the meal was terriffic,and the serivce with the same. Highly recommend the creme brulee. Just about the best I have every had.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We picked an off time for dinner on a Saturday night. I must say I wasn't sure what to expect after reading other reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. We did not wait to be seated, the waiter was solicitous and friendly. The service and food were great, so we will be back.

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We love to check out new restaurants and lend our support and money but Domestic wont get either any time soon if ever. We made reservations on their opening night; knowing things may be bumpy but we packed lots of patience and took all that into consideration. We didn't mind waiting a little longer and did but having an empty wine glass for 15 minutes at a time seemed a little much given the square footage if nothing else. I ordered the blackened catfish but 40 minutes later I got a pre breaded fried catfish filet instead. When the owner checked on us and I told him what I ordered; his response was "I guess the kitchen missed this one; would you like to keep it?" I kept it afraid that it may be another 40 minutes. Our server was only an order taker- how disappointing- we like to tip 20% and more! The decor was nice until I saw a big no-no ; a big clock over the bar facing its patrons and out of the blue litterly; was a map of the USA with a couple of painted notes on it. Very out of place with the other decor. Paintings of local artists or finishing out the same taste of the other decor would be so much better. We left though deciding to give them another chance. A couple of weeks later; we decided to go to their new Wednesday happy hour. We invited friends. After 15 minutes of looking for parking; we waited another 23 min. For someone to come to the table. I finally went to get a server. She told me she would be "right there"; 10 min later, she showed up only to tell us that the happy hour is for those sitting at the bar only ( 12 chairs? Maybe 16??) really??? But we came for the happy hour and for dinner later! Her response was "would you like to talk to the mgr.?" Of course! He- the owner; came over a couple min. later explaining his "rule". The bar was full and no way we could squeeze in much less get a drink! He decided to honor his happy hour to us with a choice of 2 select wines and 3-4 drafts . Wow what a choice! Not! We all ordered other drinks not on H.H. Got the drinks finally but no other service. We couldn't even get our bill trying 3 times to pay. It was obvious that he was understaffed and had computer problems that happened in the middle of it all. I'm all for small business success, especially restaurants; but if you're gonna open up a restaurant in a town with such little parking; at least start out having plenty of staff with the heart and passion of hospitality; have a decent amount of drink specials for a happy hour and have more than "fluffy" food that can leave the kitchen with in 15 min of ordering or you won't last long!