“Dont be put off by its looks”
Review of Bavarian Inn

Bavarian Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
New York City, New York
“Dont be put off by its looks”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I thought it looked so corny and cutesy in a photo but found this place to be lovely. The rooms were beautifully designed and comfortable. We had a great room with a view of the river. The town is also delightful, with good movies and restaurants. Its a college town so it has lots of nice things going on.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. We attempt to provide an authentic European experience blended with today's needed comforts. We hope you can visit us again soon!
The Asam Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at this gorgeous property for three nights and were upgraded to a luxury river view room (Bodensee chalet) from a regular river view room. Not sure what the difference is other than the fireplace (which we couldn't use since the gas was off because of pool construction) and perhaps a larger room, which was spacious. The nitpicks I have is with the bathroom - which was huge and roomy, but the shower had no shelves so there was nowhere to put shampoo, etc. - you had to put them on the floor and bend down to get to them while the water was running and hope you didn't slip, as there was no grab bar. Also, I think our shower doors were on backwards - the bar was on the outside and just a knob on the inside - I couldn't close the shower door all the way because I couldn't grab the knob to open it when done so I needed to push the door open. There was a soap dish in the sink outside the bathroom, but none inside the bathroom. Also, the TV was a bit of a pain to turn on and off. Other than those nitpicks, I would definitely stay here again. The view from the patio is gorgeous and the room was huge and confortable.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed the room, and will certainly look into the suggestions regarding the shower, and television. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon!
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I returned to the Inn to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This is the second year in a row we have chosen to celebrate at the Inn. We were not disappointed. From the welcoming staff to our beautiful luxury garden view room, everything was perfect. We intend to make a visit to the Inn a must for anniversaries to come.

DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Welcome Back & Happy Anniversary! We are so happy that your return was enjoyable, and look forward to creating many more wonderful memories with you for years to come!
Cobb, California, United States
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights for our anniversary. I am originally from the area and felt it would be fun to have a river view and a bit of luxury. I was disappointed that the pool was under construction during our stay, however the room was lovely. It was too hot to enjoy the balcony ovelooking the river. We ordered a dinner in our room which took well over an hour to arrive and was a huge disappointment. My meal was inedible; a huge slab of salmon smothered in mushroom gravy which appeared to be the same on my husband's meat. It was disgusting and not even faintly resembling the dish I had ordered. I was under-whelmed to say the least and it ruined what was supposed to be a romantic dinner. Breakfast was no better. I would recommend the hotel, but eat elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Mary M,
Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry your room service was not what you expected. I will share your comments with the whole staff in order to see what went wrong. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to show your our true cuisine in the future. I'm glad you enjoyed the room, and will certainly look into your room service issues.
Purcellville, VA, USA
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Had lunch only and my food was less than mediocre. I picked the sauerbrauten, which was a couple of thin slices of very tired meat with a too sweet sauce ladled on top of it. It certainly seemed to me that the beef had been cooked to total dryness separately, instead of cooking in the sauce for a protracted period.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Sandy S.,

I am so sorry that the Sauerbraten was not to your liking. For the past 36 years we have used the same traditional German recipe of marinating the beef in vinegar & spice for 5-7 days, and then top it with a vinegar, raisin, and almond sauce with a touch of brown sugar. What you described does not seem our norm, and I am greatly sorry this occurred, I will work with the Chef and his crew to fix this. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. We hope you will join us again to experience the way it should be.
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Had stayed at the Bavarian Inn on another occasion. Quiet luxury. Stayed in a corner "river view" room. Extremely well furnished, very comfortable bed, fireplace, bathroom suite w/jetted tub and small refrigerator. Balcony overlooks the Potomac River. Sat out on balcony w/ a bottle of wine watching boaters on the river before going to dinner. Yes ... quiet luxury ! Definitely worth the price.

Room Tip: Depending on your budget .. opt for "river view".
1 Thank Cymru1
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks. We are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area, and we are glad you were able to experience the realxation and quiet luxury our Inn, and the River has to offer. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
Frederick, MD
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Since I am near by, I have had dinner here before and have attended the Octoberfest but this was my first overnight stay. (Birthday surprise for him). We had a room overlooking the Potomac River which was wonderful. We were on the middle floor and the view was great. I'm not sure how good the view is from the lower floors but hopefully just as good. We are already talking about a winter getaway. The pool construction was not a big deal, just reduced the parking area and we had to park on the upper lot. Not a big deal because we didn't go anywhere. Other people have made comments about need a remodel, I do not think so. The only thing I noticed is that the decks need repainting but all decks need maintenance. The bed was fantastic and the sofa was very comfortable.
We had dinner in the Rathskeller which was very nice and dinner was wonderful. I wanted to try the draft beer but the mugs are so big, I would have never eaten my dinner. My only complaint was that the table was very small. I didn't need much more room but it just felt crowded.
We opted not to do the breakfast buffet but did have breakfast in the dining room. My husband is very picky about his coffee and commented on how good it was. He had the Eggs Benedict and loved them. I order the crepes which were fabulous but the portion size was way too much.
The staff were all wonderful and helpful, the grounds were well kept and we will be returning.

Room Tip: Pay for the river view rooms. Away from traffic noise and smaller chalets with fewer guests in each...
1 Thank DeeP67
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and that you have visited us for prior Oktoberfests and dinners. Thank you for your kind remarks. The Rathskellar is a very small area, and is also very popular. The main dining room is a bit more spacious, but a different atmosphere. Same menu in each. Also thank you for mentioning the balcony paintings. We will get to that right away. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon!
The Asam Family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#2 of 3 in Harpers Ferry
Thomas Shepherd Inn
Thomas Shepherd Inn
#1 of 2 in Shepherdstown

Been to Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!