“Good but not great.....”
Review of Bavarian Inn

Bavarian Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
“Good but not great.....”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I decided to try the Bavarian Inn for my 30th wedding aniversity after receiving a AAA discount offer. We arrived at about noon and check in is at 3:00 pm so we toured the town. Walking through the downtown area was somewhat a disappointment. The shops were few and only a couple had enough inventory to attact our attention for more than a few minutes. Don't epect to spend a significant amount of time in town. That being said, we checked in at 2:00 pm without any problem and found we were located in one of the chalets overlooking the Potomac River. The Inn is styled after German architechure and brought back memories of our 2010 Germany vacation. There were a couple of very nice apples in the room along with the AAA package bottle of wine. Unfortunately I couldn't find a cork screw in the room. The view of the river valley is beautiful. It was probably even better before they built the new bridge however the bridge is not unsightly. The deck off the room was very small and the wide gaps between the decking did not make me feel safe. The room was reasonably clean however it was not immaculate and we found stink bugs in several places. Considering I can't keep the stink bugs out of my own house I'll don't consider that a big problem. But there were a few places that wanted more cleaning like the window sills in the bathroom. The bathroom was very large and newly renovated with a large jacussi tub and a rainfall shower. Unfortunately I couldn't get hot water from the shower. There was plenty of scalding hot water from the tub spout so the problem was obviously with the shower control. We didn't use the jacussi so I can't comment on it's function. There was a very nice make up mirror mounted on the wall outside the bathroom however it was mounted at about the six foot high level and my five foot wife could only see the top of her head in the mirror. The room was spacious and we loved the gas fireplace. The bed was a huge 4 poster raised with a step for climbing in. The bed was very comfortable and inviting. The carpet was old, worn, beyond looking clean, and needed to be replaced. The small sofa in the room was old, worn, and threadbare. It also needed to be replaced. The TV was in a cabinet behind doors which opened. The TV was screwed down with drywall screws and couldn't be moved which made viewing from the sofa difficult. The TV was located for viewing from the bed. And the cabinet doors would not stay open until we stuffed plastic bags around the hinges to hold the doors. All in all it wasn't european excellence but it was comfortable. The worst part of the experience was at check out when I was told a $150 charge was applied to my card for a dinner which I did not charge or eat. After a few minutes the bill was corrected but it didn't instill confidence in the hotel staff. The best part was the restuarant which I will review separately.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mikeinintegra
Dear mikeinintegra,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and trip advisor. Feedback from our valued guests is our most important tool in helping us with our goal of continued excellence. I have shared your comments with all of our staff in order to improve upon the areas mentioned. Thank you for these suggestions. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed the restaurant though. We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
The Asam Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We spent one night in a garden view room; from the balcony we had a nice glimpse of the river. The room was large and comfortable, with a sofa for sitting/TV viewing. The bath had two sinks, which was nice, and fluffy robes too. The Sunday brunch had many choices of delicious foods, from German specialties to breakfast items to luscious desserts. We opted for an appetizer and a beer in the Rathskeller bar for our supper; the service was excellent and the food and beer very good. This was our second visit, but it won't be our last.

1 Thank Virginiatravel1
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind remarks. We are so happy that you joined us again, and that your stay was pleasant. We look forward to creating many more fond memories with you in the future.
Salisbury
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The rooms in the chateaus at the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, W VA,are huge, nicely appointed, with fabulous views. The bathrooms are very spacious with beautiful marble, full shower and a jet tub. There was no noise. The only thing we would recommend would be for them to mark on which level the rooms are located so you don't have to go down and then up the steps to find your room, We dined in the Rathskeller and it was not a positive experience; the veal was thick and tough and the sauerbraten was thick and dry. We would not dine there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy that you enjoyed the room. I am sorry to hear that you did not care for your dinner. I have shared this with our Chef and his team, and we will work hard to find out what occurred. We do hope to welcome you back soon, and that you'll give the restaurant another opportunity to showcase the cuisine done in the manner it was meant to be. If I may ever help with future reservations, please don't hesitate to ask.
New Martinsville
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband & I had a wonderful stay, the Inn is clean, comfy & beautiful. That evening we opted to sit at the bar to share a bottle of wine and ordered an appetizer each. My husband had a smoked fish platter & I had a puff pastry with grilled morels (wild mushrooms) & ramps (wild leeks), both native to our state of WV, with a yummy sauce. Delicious! The entire staff was extremely congenial & kind. We shall return!

1 Thank Suzy A
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Suzy A,
Thank you for taking the time to share your Bavarian Inn experience with us and tripadvisor. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit, and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

After the passing of our mother, my three sisters and I needed a weekend get away to begin the healing process. As our mother was German, we thought the Bavarian Inn would be a nice place to go and made our reservations on line. We arrived Saturday late afternoon and found the premises to be very lovely and well taken care of. The location is beautiful. We checked in and went to our room to find there was only one bed. Upon returning to the reception area to rectify this matter, we learned that yes, in fact, all rooms except for the River View only have one bed. Our room did have a pull out sofa but we opted to pass. My purpose in writing is to alert other travelers to not make the same error. In reviewing the website, it appears to me that it does not properly reflect how many beds the rooms have and we incorrectly assumed that by entering four guests in the required field that we would get a room with two beds. As I said, we unfortunately needed to stay elsewhere. We did return for breakfast Sunday morning and it was very good, the service was prompt and courteous. Perhaps if our travels take us to Shepherdstown in the future, we will try again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sonia E
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Steiff695,
First and foremost, I am so sorry for your loss. We are very happy that you found the rooms and property to be to your liking, yet apologize for the confusion on the number of beds in the rooms. We have 6 rooms with two beds, and most others have the pull out sofa. Due to the demand of most guests, the majority of the rooms have one King Size bed. Upon making future reservations, please let us know your needs or feel free to call us directly, and we will be more than happy to do our very best to accommodate you. I again am sorry that this stay didn't work out, but do certainly hope to be able to to welcome you back for a wonderful experience in the future.
South Point, Ohio
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This place is simply unbelievable. Perfect rooms, great view, super staff that go out of their way to make you feel at home and help in any way they can, they are better then family. If you are anywhere near there alter you plans so you can stay here, and eat at the restaurant the food is to die for. They have both Austrian and American meals that are large and prepared to perfection, be sure to have desert too.

1 Thank dwight b
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so very much for your kind comments. We are so happy that you enjoyed everything from the rooms to the meals to the staff. I will gladly pass on these remarks to our hard working staff.
Shenandoah Junction, West Virginia
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We took my Mother-in-Law and her husband to dinner last night at the Bavarian Inn. We are local, but they are from Upstate NY. The experience can be summed up in one word - exquisite! From the moment we entered, our fabulous evening began. We were greeted by a very friendly hostess named Kirsten. She escorted us to a table with a fabulous view of the Inn and the Potomac River. Being as it was Mother's Day, the dining room was crowded, but we were approached by a young waiter letting us know that someone would be with us in just a minute. We really weren't in any hurry, and we could see that the room was full, so a short wait was to be expected. However, our server Cindy came along within moments and took care of our every need from there. She was very knowledgeable about the menu, and easily answered our questions and provided personal recommendations. We each ordered different items, and all four of us were thrilled with our meals.
My Mother-in-Law and her husband have already asked to go there again on their next visit. Even though my husband and I are local, we felt that we had taken a mini vacation, so we will certainly be back soon. Our heartfelt thanks - especially to Kirsten and Cindy - for a wonderful Mother's Day to remember!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karyn M
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and trip advisor. We are so happy that your Mother's Day Dinner was like a "mini-vacation." I will be happy to pass on your remarks to our hard working staff, especially Cindy & Kirsten, and the kitchen staff. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
The Asam Family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Knights inn Knoxville Harpers Ferry
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
#1 of 3 in Harpers Ferry

Been to Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!