I decided to try the Bavarian Inn for my 30th wedding aniversity after receiving a AAA discount offer. We arrived at about noon and check in is at 3:00 pm so we toured the town. Walking through the downtown area was somewhat a disappointment. The shops were few and only a couple had enough inventory to attact our attention for more than a few minutes. Don't epect to spend a significant amount of time in town. That being said, we checked in at 2:00 pm without any problem and found we were located in one of the chalets overlooking the Potomac River. The Inn is styled after German architechure and brought back memories of our 2010 Germany vacation. There were a couple of very nice apples in the room along with the AAA package bottle of wine. Unfortunately I couldn't find a cork screw in the room. The view of the river valley is beautiful. It was probably even better before they built the new bridge however the bridge is not unsightly. The deck off the room was very small and the wide gaps between the decking did not make me feel safe. The room was reasonably clean however it was not immaculate and we found stink bugs in several places. Considering I can't keep the stink bugs out of my own house I'll don't consider that a big problem. But there were a few places that wanted more cleaning like the window sills in the bathroom. The bathroom was very large and newly renovated with a large jacussi tub and a rainfall shower. Unfortunately I couldn't get hot water from the shower. There was plenty of scalding hot water from the tub spout so the problem was obviously with the shower control. We didn't use the jacussi so I can't comment on it's function. There was a very nice make up mirror mounted on the wall outside the bathroom however it was mounted at about the six foot high level and my five foot wife could only see the top of her head in the mirror. The room was spacious and we loved the gas fireplace. The bed was a huge 4 poster raised with a step for climbing in. The bed was very comfortable and inviting. The carpet was old, worn, beyond looking clean, and needed to be replaced. The small sofa in the room was old, worn, and threadbare. It also needed to be replaced. The TV was in a cabinet behind doors which opened. The TV was screwed down with drywall screws and couldn't be moved which made viewing from the sofa difficult. The TV was located for viewing from the bed. And the cabinet doors would not stay open until we stuffed plastic bags around the hinges to hold the doors. All in all it wasn't european excellence but it was comfortable. The worst part of the experience was at check out when I was told a $150 charge was applied to my card for a dinner which I did not charge or eat. After a few minutes the bill was corrected but it didn't instill confidence in the hotel staff. The best part was the restuarant which I will review separately.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River in Historic Shepherdstown West Virginia on 11 acres. The Bavarian Inn is a AAA Four Diamond Award Winning Dining Room and Hotel Accommodations. Most rooms have breathtaking river views from private balconies, whirlpool baths, and gas fireplaces. Fine German and Continental Cuisine. Wine Spectator "Best of Award of Excellence". Casual Dining and Cocktails in the Rathskellar or on the outdoor garden patio. Walking distance to downtown Shepherdstown and great shopping. Golf Packages available with neighboring and private Cress Creek Country Club. Open 365 days per year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Bavarian Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bavarian Hotel Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Inn Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Restaurant