“Not sure what to say....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bavarian Inn

Bavarian Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
northern Va
“Not sure what to say....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

The room was nice but a bit dated.... as I am sure the owners are aware of if. The owners were spending plenty of time in the bar as well so you just know it is that sort of place.

The food was OK appetizer wise but the rest was horrible. Yes I am a foodie but also a 20+ year military man. I can eat anything and am a very patient man service wise. It takes much for me to be actually appalled. I was appalled and everythng from room service to dinner was marginal.

But for a simple jumping off point to go do other things it is adequate. If I was tryiing to be super romantic I would pick elsewhere.

• Liked — Pate' is awesome.
  • Disliked — No attention to detail. Had the same staff at the bar, at dinner and for room service.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gripslip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2008

Went with my wife as an Anniversary gift and a Valentines Celebration in one. We called to make reservations and signed up for the Valentines Package that was being offered. Included Breakfast, Dinner, Champagne in the room. Reservations went smoothly. Arrived at the hotel and everything was arranged perfectly. We got a romantic room with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub with balcony overlooking the river. I wish the weather was better, it would of been nice to spend more time on our balcony. Our room had what looked to be new furniture and wallpaper and was nicely decorated. The bed linens were comfortable.

Had dinner in the dining room, it was packed, but it was Valentines so I guess we should of expected it. Although it was busy though it was not a let down, our dinner Chateaubriand for two was delicious. The service was friendly and attentive. We went to the bar downstairs afterwards for a cognac before bed and were pleasantly suprised to find two jazz musicians playing, which we quite enjoyed. The service at the Inn was very good across the board, yet not over the top. There is no valet or bell service, yet they offer to help you if you need it.

All in all I would absolutely return, but maybe on a quieter weekend. It looks like this is a real popular spot for romance. And especially popular for Valentines getaways.

• Liked — Romantic getaway
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank srgtfred
maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2008

We had reservations for 10 in the main dining room. They were made two weeks in advance. We were called by this establishment and told that they had to cancel our reservations altogether because a larger party needed the main dining room and there were no openings in any of the other rooms. What? Obviously we were upset and will not be returning to this restaurant. I am surprised by the lack of courtesy and respect for our time. Why take our reservation in the first place? Beats me!

• Liked — can't think of a thing
  • Disliked — unprofessionalism of management
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank wallyweiner
Columbia, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2008

Spent one night at the Inn in January 2008. I contacted the Inn directly to make my reservation. They mangled the spelling of my name so badly that they probably wouldn't have found it if I didn't have my reservation number. The interior really needs to be updated, especially the bathrooms (as you can see from some other people's pictures here). I'm not that style conscious, but the pink tub and the huge flowery wallpaper was so 1970s. The view from the deck was nice, but gray. Of course that wasn't the inn's fault, and the view over the river would be gorgeous in spring or fall. The carpet was thin and loose in places and seemed to have no padding. The shower didn't work at all, but we didn't find out til almost check out time, so it was too late to call to get it fixed. The front desk didn't seem too bothered by that, and they didn't offer to take anything off the bill. Would have liked to try the restaurant, especially their fall/winter game menu. The gas fireplace in the room was the high point. Would still probably go back, just because there's not much else to choose from in the area. But $200+ is a bit much.

• Liked — fireplace in the room, nice view from the deck
  • Disliked — outdated and shabby decor, shower didn't work
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redrandy
ky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2007

We spent the evening of November the 4th of this year 2007. The room was very clean, the service was great and the cost was reasonable. We were walk-ins so we asked to see a room and the young lady was very kind. We loved the room in every way. There are not a lot of hotel staff to wait on you hand and foot. If you are looking for that go somewhere else. We unloaded our luggage and we were fine with that. I really don't like hotel staff breathing down my neck anyway. There is a nice place to eat at the hotel and many more in this nice small town. Give it a try, I think you will like it.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Columbia, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

I wanted to surprise my husband with a romantic weekend away to West Virginia. I did have some trouble finding a bed and breakfast to accommodate my wish for a single night's stay and I was calling around a couple weeks in advance and a lot of wv b&b's were booked. The Bavarian Inn people were polite on the phone and told me they had a King River View Suite or a Queen Garden View Room. I liked the idea of the 2 person Jacuzzi tub and I wanted to really treat my hubby so I sprung for the King River View. It was $225 for the one night and it did not include breakfast.

When we got to the property we realized the Inn was right next to the university and the noise from the football game could be heard easily. We had no problem with the check in, but when we got to the room, we were a little disappointed. The room itself was great, it was clean, spacious, the bed was plush and comfortable, the 2 person tub was nice and a nice gas fireplace. The view on the other hand was a let-down. We stepped out onto the small balcony and we were right next to the road and you could hear the traffic from the road. You could see the Potomac River but the road was equally visible and our room was on the lowest level so the road seemed really close by. I felt like for 225 per night we needed a better view than that. My hubby went down to the front desk to see about moving to another room but the attendant said they were all booked up. We decided to stay in the room. I thought the balcony seemed private and faced out to the river and road. I had on one of the bathrobes provided by the Inn for guest use, I went out onto the balcony to try to snap some pictures and there were some kids out back. I quickly went back into our room.

We ate dinner at the restaurant, which seemed very conservative to me. I felt uncomfortable because the top I was wearing was showing some cleavage. Generally the patrons looked older and very conservative--FYI. The service was fair. The waiter came to our table minimally. The food was not that great. The fillet mignon was undercooked for medium and the sea bass was not that great. The dessert was bland. Overall, my husband said he thought the food did not have much flavor. There was a wedding going on Saturday night and was using the outdoor garden space. There were kids running around the parking lot and garden area yelling and trying to scare each other.

We put the privacy please sign on the door but the housekeeping lady knocked on our door twice Sun morning.

Overall, the visit was not bad. We both enjoyed the jacuzzi tub and slept well on the cozy bed. For our late night snack, my hubby and I needed some utensils which the front desk kindly provided.

As far as going into town for dining, that was a bit of a wash too. The food at the Yellow Brick Bank Restaurant was sub-par.

• Liked — Comfort of Room
  • Disliked — View for the price
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Columbiacrittercrew
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

They charged $35/person or plate. People who ordered the chicken plate were not happy. The filet mignon was good if you like it fairly raw --- if you want to have a large group come there, make sure you can specify how done it should be. They did not follow instructions to serve the top layer of the cake. They charge $1.50/slice or person for cutting and serving the cake. Then they shooed you out for the next group. The place does have ambiance. Find a less-expensive place with better service if you have a large group.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank EDM7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Knights inn Knoxville Harpers Ferry
Thomas Shepherd Inn
Thomas Shepherd Inn
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown

Been to Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!