“average at best”
Review of Bavarian Inn

Bavarian Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Reviewed January 7, 2013

It was average, expected alot more. Be careful asking for a garden view, only view will be the cars parked along the curb! Updating is needed badly for the price of a room in this place. I love the concept of old charm, but it is starting to just be "old". The breakfast was excellent. Not in a hurry to stay again for the price. I have stayed at many 4 star hotels and this does not even come close. Hope someone in management is listening.....

Room Tip: upper level
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SusiehappyinDC
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear SusiehappyinDC,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and tripadvisor. I'm sorry your expectations were not met during your stay. We are feverishly undertaking rennovations to many of our rooms, and constantly attempting to improve upon ourselves. Like most other hotels, our pricing structure is driven by demand, seasonality and availability. We often run specials via our mailing list, and facebook. Please feel free to join any of those lists to take advantage of such great deals. We feel a $95 room rate is very competitive and reasonable for the area. I'm sorry that our prices were higher than you wanted. We take all of our guest comments very seriously and we hope that you may come back in the future to enjoy our seasonal deals, and various upgrades. Wishing you a wonderful 2013!

There are newer reviews for Bavarian Inn

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Bavarian Inn for two nights and thought the hotel and location were a great place for a quick getaway from Washington DC. The hotel is set on high ground just over the river after crossing from Maryland into West Virginia. Our room was in one of the chalets (Bodensee--Room 21) overlooking two bends in the river, with a tiny deck (it was too cold to actually use it, but would be great in nice weather). The room had two queen beds and a sitting area, which was perfect for a family of four who wanted to get away, play games and watch movies. (The hotel lent us a DVD player.) The room was newly furnished, clean, comfortable, with an extra down comforter on both beds, all with nice white cotton bedding. There was an extra sink outside of the main bath which was convenient for a family of 4. When we had a minor problem with a setting on the TV, staff immediately showed up to resolve it. The fitness center was small (treadmill, bike, elliptical and free weights), and located in another building. The town of Shepherdstown is a three minute drive, and offers a few blocks of cute stores and some good restaurants. We had dinner at Shaharazade's (lovely setting, food was okay, and Bistro 112 (great food and setting), breakfast at Betty's (a classic, although not great quality) and Mellow Moods (fantastic, alternative breakfasts). Antietam is about 15 minutes away, with the Visitor Center offering good explanations of the history of this battle, and a self-guided driving tour. Harper's Ferry is about 20 minutes in the other direction.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bodensee (a chalet) in Room 21. Excellent view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank webtrav
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
We are very happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your excursion to Shepherdstown and the Bavarian Inn. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We hope to welcome you bck soon, perhaps in warm weather to enjoy the balcony!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and me have always liked this Hotel. I must agree with the people who are not happy with the front staff (with the exception of Jessica) they do make you feel not welcome. This is an issue which needs fixed. I also agree that the food has been not up to standards. The food service was slow but the waiter was excellent. We did get a great deal on a river front room. If only we knew special deals were an option durin the weak, we would be staying here much more. We ask to be notified when we could return under the same special. We have not heard one word from the staff. Upon check out I ask about what upgrades the Inn was planning on. Instead of trying to keep my business, the person instructed me that Hotel X had all the things I wanted. This was surprising. I read another posting on yahoo, were guests were saying the same thing, about the front desk. Not happy to see you arrive and happy to see you go. I have always loved this Hotel. But as in life when things you love don't love you back, you must go forward.

Room Tip: Special river front room prices are an option during the week.
2  Thank saywhatever
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
First and foremost, thank you for your patronage of our Inn over the past few years. Upon reading your review, I immediately had a meeting with our entire front desk team to find out the issues. I am so sorry that our front desk agents gave you this impression, and I can assure you we will work directly with them to provide the welcoming friendly atmosphere you have come to expect and deserve from our Inn. Regarding specials, we do run them frequently in order to encourage guests to stay during slower times. Lately, many of these have been done via facebook, and social media. Please feel free to "friend" us to receive more of these. We also send various email promotions, so please join our mailing list on our website. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back, and show you some of our continous improvements, such as a new pool for late summer 2013, exciting cuisine from our new Chef du Cuisine, and much more. Thank you again for your feedback, and if I may ever be of personal assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
David Asam & The Asam Family

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and i spent two days at the Bavarian Inn on December 24th and December 25th. We had heard about the inn from friends and we had seen a segment about the hotel on TV- what a disappointment!!

When we checked into our room overlooking the river, a host of maintenance issues awaited us. The smoke detector was beeping continually; there were three bulbs out in lamps and overhead lights. The doorknob on the front door did not work properly. There were three stinkbugs on the ceiling and a centipede near the door. Curtis, the maintenance man, was very personable and fixed the various problems. As a lark, we tried the TV to see if it worked- no reception despite his changing the cables. He suggested a room change and Colin, the manager on site, agreed to upgrade us to a luxury room with jacuzzi bath. He even helped us move our bags and belongings.

We appreciated the new room and didn't complain about the fact that there were four stinkbugs on the curtains. (I understand this is an ongoing concern in the area.) After a couple of hours we again noticed light bulbs out in the room and a toilet that ran continually unless you jigggled the handle several times. We simply resigned ourselves to the fact that things weren't going to get much better.

We did enjoy eating in the restaurant on Christmas Eve as snow fell in an idyllic setting.

However, someone needs to pay attention to the maintenace of the rooms- why didn't the workers who cleaned the room notice the problems? I really cannot recommend the Bavarian Inn due to the unsatisfactory conditon of the rooms. You are forewarned!

Room Tip: Check out the condition of the room before settling in!
4  Thank PrincipalTraveler
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Dr. Howard Schechter,
Thank you for again sharing your comments with us, and trip advisor. Once again, we are greatly sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay. We are glad you at least enjoyed your meal, and the complimentary room upgrade. We have already fixed the areas mentioned, immediately after you brought them to our attention during your visit. Once again, I am sorry for your dissappointment, and hope that you will find the opportunity to revisit us in the future and enjoy the same postive experiences our other guests have. Wishing you a HappY Holidays, and a enjoyable 2013.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Overall this is a great place to stay - my wife and I were in the area on business and chose Shepherdstown to stay overnight. It's a neat town, worth the visit. We stayed in a river view room, and the view was worth the extra fee. The decor is dated, but that didn't bother us much. Our lone complaint was the heater noise - it was so bad that when it kicked on it was waking us up. Not sure if they are all like this - we stayed in room 30 - you may not want this room if that doesn't get fixed! Also, we ate at the Press Room downtown - it was great!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonathan L
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us during your trip to Shepherdstown. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for letting us know about the heater so we can get that fixed right away. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Happy Holidays

Reviewed December 14, 2012

What a treat! It is like going to Bavaria and not having to use your passport. My wife and I went there for her birthday and had the treat of staying in the Royal Suite. What a fantastic room! Fireplace, hot tub, sitting room, wet bar, it was truly a royal experience.

The staff could not have been more helpful and the food was outstanding. I had the fortunate opportunity to taste their wild boar goulash as part of their Wild Game festival. OUTSTANDING.

You will not regret going to this delightful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the Royal Suite if it is available.
2  Thank PCreasy
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are thrilled you enjoyed the suite and your dining experience. I will certainly pass on your nice comments to our hard working staff. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

So disappointing. To start with, the Inn needs a face lift and the restaurant needs a new chef. Several of us stayed at the Inn for the weekend. All three rooms in our party were worn and outdated. They needed new paint, rust was present, they just looked neglected and unkept. Our one set of friends had continuous plumbing problems throughout the weekend which was never taken care of. Upon checkout the management tried to overcharge relenting begrudgingly after they realized they had made the error. As to the restaurant where we had Sunday brunch, I have to say it was one of the worst brunches I had ever experienced. The menus has fish on the menu which is basically paper thin quarter size pieces of fish (maybe a hundred of those would form a real piece of fish) and all kind of fish appetizers, not one real piece of fish anything. Both the meat cutting station and omelet stations were vacant (no one there to serve it), and several of the hot plates were empty. MInd you this was about noon when we were there. Also the food just tasted bad. I had this one supposedly meat roll that smelled and tasted like dog food, I kid you not. The red cabbage tasted rank and bitter as did the mushrooms and several other dishes. The mozzarella cheese was tasteless like the eggs and hash browns which were cold like they just threw frozen them on the hot plate, the maple syrup was watery, the desserts were so small it was a joke, the vegetable in one vegetable dish tasted bitter, the list goes on and on. I really had to wonder what they did to the food to make it taste so bad. Fast food is better than this. On top of that the service was bad. Our party had to hunt down our waitress for everything, and they forgot to bring several of the drinks to our table while bringing others not ordered. There was also a marked lack of attention to the customers. I really wondered where all these positive reviews came from as in our estimation the entire Bavarian Inn was highly overrated. As to any comparison with the real Bavaria, all I can say is that it suffers in the translation. The only reason I didn't give this place just one star instead of two is because the actual spot of the hotel is very nice and the ambience in the restaurant was decent, but everything else was well below standard for this type of facility. All in all a disappointment and we will not be returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank catilain14
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your criticisms. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. I have shared your comments with all of our staff. Everyone including myself, are very surprised to hear of your disappointment, especially in our brunch. We served over 200 people last Sunday, and heard rave reviews from most guests. We offer about 100 different items on the buffet, and purposefully keep them bite size, so our guests are able to sample a greater variety. I am sorry that things were not to your liking though. It was exceptionally busy, being brunch with Santa, but even as you mentioned most people love the brunch. I again am sorry that the Bavarian Inn, and our very popular brunch, is not for you. We'd love the opportunity to change this last impression you created of our Inn, but understand that your mind is made up. Wishing you a happy holidays,
The Asam Family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville
Thomas Shepherd Inn
Thomas Shepherd Inn
#1 of 2 in Shepherdstown

Been to Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!