Bavarian Inn
$99
QualityInn
$160
ClarionHotels
Quality Inn & Suites(Kearneysville)
$60
QualityInn
Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry(Harpers Ferry)(Great Value!)
$93
ClarionHotels
Quality Inn(Harpers Ferry)(Great Value!)
$87
$62
$110
$94
HIExpress.com
$63
$88
$51
All reviewspotomac riverinfinity poolgas fireplacegerman foodluxury roomwhirlpool tubcrab cakesantietam battlefieldwild gamepresidential suitewest virginiaview roomsauerbratentheater festivalsmall balconyold worldcelebrate our anniversary
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and i spent two days at the Bavarian Inn on December 24th and December 25th. We had heard about the inn from friends and we had seen a segment about the hotel on TV- what a disappointment!!

When we checked into our room overlooking the river, a host of maintenance issues awaited us. The smoke detector was beeping continually; there were three bulbs out in lamps and overhead lights. The doorknob on the front door did not work properly. There were three stinkbugs on the ceiling and a centipede near the door. Curtis, the maintenance man, was very personable and fixed the various problems. As a lark, we tried the TV to see if it worked- no reception despite his changing the cables. He suggested a room change and Colin, the manager on site, agreed to upgrade us to a luxury room with jacuzzi bath. He even helped us move our bags and belongings.

We appreciated the new room and didn't complain about the fact that there were four stinkbugs on the curtains. (I understand this is an ongoing concern in the area.) After a couple of hours we again noticed light bulbs out in the room and a toilet that ran continually unless you jigggled the handle several times. We simply resigned ourselves to the fact that things weren't going to get much better.

We did enjoy eating in the restaurant on Christmas Eve as snow fell in an idyllic setting.

However, someone needs to pay attention to the maintenace of the rooms- why didn't the workers who cleaned the room notice the problems? I really cannot recommend the Bavarian Inn due to the unsatisfactory conditon of the rooms. You are forewarned!

Room Tip: Check out the condition of the room before settling in!
4  Thank PrincipalTraveler
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Dr. Howard Schechter,
Thank you for again sharing your comments with us, and trip advisor. Once again, we are greatly sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay. We are glad you at least enjoyed your meal, and the complimentary room upgrade. We have already fixed the areas mentioned, immediately after you brought them to our attention during your visit. Once again, I am sorry for your dissappointment, and hope that you will find the opportunity to revisit us in the future and enjoy the same postive experiences our other guests have. Wishing you a HappY Holidays, and a enjoyable 2013.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Overall this is a great place to stay - my wife and I were in the area on business and chose Shepherdstown to stay overnight. It's a neat town, worth the visit. We stayed in a river view room, and the view was worth the extra fee. The decor is dated, but that didn't bother us much. Our lone complaint was the heater noise - it was so bad that when it kicked on it was waking us up. Not sure if they are all like this - we stayed in room 30 - you may not want this room if that doesn't get fixed! Also, we ate at the Press Room downtown - it was great!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonathan L
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us during your trip to Shepherdstown. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for letting us know about the heater so we can get that fixed right away. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Happy Holidays

Reviewed December 14, 2012

What a treat! It is like going to Bavaria and not having to use your passport. My wife and I went there for her birthday and had the treat of staying in the Royal Suite. What a fantastic room! Fireplace, hot tub, sitting room, wet bar, it was truly a royal experience.

The staff could not have been more helpful and the food was outstanding. I had the fortunate opportunity to taste their wild boar goulash as part of their Wild Game festival. OUTSTANDING.

You will not regret going to this delightful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the Royal Suite if it is available.
2  Thank PCreasy
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are thrilled you enjoyed the suite and your dining experience. I will certainly pass on your nice comments to our hard working staff. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

So disappointing. To start with, the Inn needs a face lift and the restaurant needs a new chef. Several of us stayed at the Inn for the weekend. All three rooms in our party were worn and outdated. They needed new paint, rust was present, they just looked neglected and unkept. Our one set of friends had continuous plumbing problems throughout the weekend which was never taken care of. Upon checkout the management tried to overcharge relenting begrudgingly after they realized they had made the error. As to the restaurant where we had Sunday brunch, I have to say it was one of the worst brunches I had ever experienced. The menus has fish on the menu which is basically paper thin quarter size pieces of fish (maybe a hundred of those would form a real piece of fish) and all kind of fish appetizers, not one real piece of fish anything. Both the meat cutting station and omelet stations were vacant (no one there to serve it), and several of the hot plates were empty. MInd you this was about noon when we were there. Also the food just tasted bad. I had this one supposedly meat roll that smelled and tasted like dog food, I kid you not. The red cabbage tasted rank and bitter as did the mushrooms and several other dishes. The mozzarella cheese was tasteless like the eggs and hash browns which were cold like they just threw frozen them on the hot plate, the maple syrup was watery, the desserts were so small it was a joke, the vegetable in one vegetable dish tasted bitter, the list goes on and on. I really had to wonder what they did to the food to make it taste so bad. Fast food is better than this. On top of that the service was bad. Our party had to hunt down our waitress for everything, and they forgot to bring several of the drinks to our table while bringing others not ordered. There was also a marked lack of attention to the customers. I really wondered where all these positive reviews came from as in our estimation the entire Bavarian Inn was highly overrated. As to any comparison with the real Bavaria, all I can say is that it suffers in the translation. The only reason I didn't give this place just one star instead of two is because the actual spot of the hotel is very nice and the ambience in the restaurant was decent, but everything else was well below standard for this type of facility. All in all a disappointment and we will not be returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank catilain14
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your criticisms. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. I have shared your comments with all of our staff. Everyone including myself, are very surprised to hear of your disappointment, especially in our brunch. We served over 200 people last Sunday, and heard rave reviews from most guests. We offer about 100 different items on the buffet, and purposefully keep them bite size, so our guests are able to sample a greater variety. I am sorry that things were not to your liking though. It was exceptionally busy, being brunch with Santa, but even as you mentioned most people love the brunch. I again am sorry that the Bavarian Inn, and our very popular brunch, is not for you. We'd love the opportunity to change this last impression you created of our Inn, but understand that your mind is made up. Wishing you a happy holidays,

Reviewed December 4, 2012

If it has retained its four diamond rating, AAA needs to visit again. Given its location, prices seem a little silly. Room was spacious but a little rust here, & a little chipping paint there did little to impress. Liked the gas fireplace but you would think they could figure out how to better seal the door to the small balcony to keep the stink bugs (8 found) out of the room. My wife was not happy. Also as the whirlpool tub was filling with water she noticed dirt and hair sufficient to change her mind and take a shower. Speaking of water, the hot water became hot faster than any place I can recall. But it's hard water, and if they claim they have a water softener, it isn't functioning properly. Bed was very good.

2  Thank CWnut
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We will absolutely look into the areas noted, and fix them right away. I apologize for the impression this left you with. We are continously upgrading and improving upon our property, and hope you will take the time to experiences all of these new improvements in the future.