My wife and i spent two days at the Bavarian Inn on December 24th and December 25th. We had heard about the inn from friends and we had seen a segment about the hotel on TV- what a disappointment!!
When we checked into our room overlooking the river, a host of maintenance issues awaited us. The smoke detector was beeping continually; there were three bulbs out in lamps and overhead lights. The doorknob on the front door did not work properly. There were three stinkbugs on the ceiling and a centipede near the door. Curtis, the maintenance man, was very personable and fixed the various problems. As a lark, we tried the TV to see if it worked- no reception despite his changing the cables. He suggested a room change and Colin, the manager on site, agreed to upgrade us to a luxury room with jacuzzi bath. He even helped us move our bags and belongings.
We appreciated the new room and didn't complain about the fact that there were four stinkbugs on the curtains. (I understand this is an ongoing concern in the area.) After a couple of hours we again noticed light bulbs out in the room and a toilet that ran continually unless you jigggled the handle several times. We simply resigned ourselves to the fact that things weren't going to get much better.
We did enjoy eating in the restaurant on Christmas Eve as snow fell in an idyllic setting.
However, someone needs to pay attention to the maintenace of the rooms- why didn't the workers who cleaned the room notice the problems? I really cannot recommend the Bavarian Inn due to the unsatisfactory conditon of the rooms. You are forewarned!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River in Historic Shepherdstown West Virginia on 11 acres. The Bavarian Inn is a AAA Four Diamond Award Winning Dining Room and Hotel Accommodations. Most rooms have breathtaking river views from private balconies, whirlpool baths, and gas fireplaces. Fine German and Continental Cuisine. Wine Spectator "Best of Award of Excellence". Casual Dining and Cocktails in the Rathskellar or on the outdoor garden patio. Walking distance to downtown Shepherdstown and great shopping. Golf Packages available with neighboring and private Cress Creek Country Club. Open 365 days per year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Bavarian Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bavarian Hotel Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Inn Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Restaurant