All reviewstwo sinksquaint towndecent staybasketball courtan older hotelchecking inbed was very comfortablefridge and microwaveparking lotcanal towpathharpers ferrytaverngymtriviatrail
Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a week, the food was very overpriced the service was poor and the room was about par for a motel eight. I can definitely say that I’ve stayed several Motel 6 is that were significantly better than this place. It says a lot about a hotel when they reserve the front row for their employees instead of their guests!
The Wi-Fi is terrible here, they advertise that it’s free but that brings to mind but I was always told you get what you pay for. If I could do it over again in my employer would let me I would stay at any of the other hotels I have been to lots of third world countries that have better Wi-Fi this place!!
I did complained several times to the front desk about the slow or nonexistent Wi-Fi. You may have some service for a little while and then it drops and goes up and down clearly they don’t have enough band with nor do they have enough Wi-Fi routers around the property.
I have stayed several times over in Charles town in the hotels over there are significantly better than this one yet they advertise it it’s a conference center that was it come here for a conference must have pretty low standards.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
Angie K, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be if you are ever back in Shepherdstown.

Reviewed June 21, 2018

This hotel is miserable. We were forced to stay here for 6 nights for work and it being the only hotel in the area that would honor the government contract rate.

* Inside the room, the walls are full of gashes and marks. It looks like they haven't been fixed or painted in decades.
* The carpet is ratty and at some spots coming up from the floor.
* The furniture is old and tired. It is so worn out that I wonder if it was recovered from a dumpster.
* Towel rack is falling off the wall.
* Tiny little window in the room provides little view of the outdoors.
* But the view is of a parking lot anyway.
* We wanted to do our own thing for breakfast, so we asked the front desk for some bowls and spoons. They directed us to the restaurant, who did give us bowls and spoons. However, upon reaching the room we realized they were DIRTY -- covered in some nasty gooey stuff. They gave us dirty bowls!
* Hot tub out of order during our entire stay, as indicated by sign at front desk.
* Restaurant is dimly lit, a bit sketchy, and frequented by unsavoury looking locals.
* WiFi seemed to work okay the first day we were there, then never again. It would either be so slow that I couldn't load a website, or it would fail to connect entirely. Major problem since I also could not get cell phone signal.
* Location of the hotel is really quite terrible and not within immediate walking distance of anything. We did walk to town a number of times but it's a 20 minute walk on poorly lit roads with bad sidewalks or no sidewalks at all. I guess we enjoyed the walk, but many of my colleagues thought it was too far.
* The hotel shuttle never worked out for us. One night it was not running because it was a bit icy out. Another night we waited 10 minutes at hotel, the shuttle arrived, then it left only 30 seconds later without waiting for us to board! Really not helpful at all.
* Uber does not yet exist in Shepherstown (2017).
* The food at the hotel ranged from sort of expensive to extremely expensive.

PROS:
* Microwave and refrigerator in the room were a plus.
* Relatively quiet with no major hallway noise (I was on the 4th floor, which is the top floor).
* The staff are very polite and seem to take their jobs seriously. This is a major redeeming characteristic, but it's too little, too late for this rundown hunk of junk hotel.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled on business
Angie K, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2018

On behalf of the entire hotel, I would like to apologize for falling short of your expectations. We understand that there are some scratches on the walls and that the carpet needs redone. We are actually in the process of renovating our rooms; we hope you are able to see the improvement soon if you are ever back in the Shepherdstown area! I'm surprised you had issues connecting to the WiFi.. we have upgraded our internet service tremendously and added over a dozen routers throughout the entire hotel. Perhaps you were trying to stream? We have disabled that since that takes up a lot of bandwidth to ensure everyone is able to get on the WiFi network. As far as the hotel shuttle, our guests safety is the first importance. We had a lot of ice last year during the winter and unfortunately had to close our complimentary shuttle service for your group for that evening. I'm sorry it never worked out for you that week... our shuttle driver rotates every 10-15 minutes to ensure that everyone is able to use our shuttle service. Did you by chance wait outside for the next go around? Again, we are very sorry that you had a less than desirable experience. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Reviewed June 20, 2018

The location - in the middle of nowhere ... You can't walk from the hotel to some store or attraction. However, this is a big hotel where Washington Government holds lots of their conferences and trainings, the hotel has a very nice restaurant (where some days they do karaoke!), nice outdoor pool and a full-blown gym with steam room and sauna! Massages too.

Room Tip: As closer to the lobby (by the floor height and by the distance from the center) - as better Wi-Fi ...
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
Angie K, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2018

Happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our Fitness Center and Rumsey Tavern! The Rumsey Tavern even has Tuesday Trivia, Kareokee Wednesdays, and for the rest of this month we'll have beer & wine tastings on Fridays :)

Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

This Clarion appears to be a small notch above your typical Choice Hotel. It is fairly large and harkens you back a little to when they tried to build more grand style hotels. It is located back away from any busy roads which makes for a very quiet room no matter where your room is located. The check in process was quick and smooth.

ROOM - My room was on the third floor but easily accessible by an elevator. The room was as you expect. Comfortable bed, clean, mini fridge, microwave, flat panel tv. The decor and furniture was a little worn and dated. There was a below window air unit with a digital thermostat. It was amazingly loud, so much so that I had it run on super cold so I could turn it off when it was time to sleep. The strategy worked well.

CONFERENCE - Very nice space that accommodated our group perfectly. The lobby provided room for vendor tables and the main room was great. I needed to quickly print a couple things and I was pleased to be able to quickly do that on a computer in the lobby.

FOOD - The food throughout the conference was decent. They seemed to struggle at times keeping trays stocked. Variety was good and staff were on top of their game. There is also a restaurant/bar located in the hotel with a full menu.

Overall a decent stay but I waver on average to very good due to the dated feel of my room and the extremely loud air unit. Otherwise, this was a very nice place that I would be pleased to stay in for another conference.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
Angie K, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed it as much as we do. We hope to see you again if you are in the Shepherdstown area again!

Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

While I have not stayed in this hotel, I’ve recommended it to friends and family and they have all been pleased. This review is about a wonderful breakfast experience. My friends and I met here before walking the C and O canal. Among us we ordered several things. I had the French toast with a side of fruit. Simple yes but perfectly made and delicious. This review is a shout out to the extraordinarily pleasant and professional server Candace who went out of her way to make our visit a great experience. We now intend to make this our go to place to meet for breakfast before our hikes. Thank you Candace!!!!

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with friends
Angie K, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2018

We always try to make our guests and customers have a home-away-from-home experience, no matter if they are coming to our restaurant or staying in one of our hotel guest rooms. I have notified the General Manager & Candace's managers for her job well done! We can't wait to see you all again! :)