“low-budget service”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
eastern US
“low-budget service”
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We stayed at this Clarion in November 2009 while visiting Shepherdstown. We paid almost $130 for our room for a rather mediocre stay.

First some good things -- The Clarion is close to town. You could probably walk there, which would be a good idea since the parking in town is a bit of a hassle. Free parking at the hotel. Free internet. The lobby is nice. A decent breakfast buffet, and live music at the tavern located in the hotel.

Now to the not-so-good things -- The room was is need of a thorough cleaning and could also use some updating. Grime on the bathroom door. Scratched up furniture. Dirty and ratty towels (probably some of the sorriest I have ever seen). Low-end fixtures. Overall, it looked like a cheap room.

There is a row of parking spots closest to the front door of the hotel. The closest spots are reserved for handicapped spots -- no problem there. But then the next closest spots are reserved for the management of the hotel. So-called-guests have to park in the main lot. It's not a terribly long walk -- unless it's cold and windy and you're carrying a load of luggage, as we were. I don't understand a business that places its employees over customers.

I had heard that the fitness center was good, but on the Saturday morning we were there, it didn't open until 9AM, so when I went there at 8:30 it was closed. We had an 11AM checkout and still had to eat breakfast, so I was not able to use it, or even see it. I've never heard of a fitness center opening so late in the morning.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank va_trailrunner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I stay at this hotel annually with my girlfriends - we like to visit Hapers Ferry and go tubing at the end of the summer each year.

I was pleasantly suprised to find that this particular Clarion recently became non-smoking. How nice! My room did smell a bit funky, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.

I always enjoy this property - it's reliable, relatively clean and inexpensive. I've not used the pool or dined in the restaurant, but it's a nice place to lay your head if you are in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Baltimore
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I stayed here with my elderly parents, and we rented a Suite with a King bed and a pullout sofa. When we came back from dinner in town and got ready fro bed, I realized there were no linens, blankets or pillows for the sofa bed. I called the front desk, and they said they'd bring some to the room. It was around 9:30. I waited 20 minutes and then went to the desk myself. I recognized the young woman who had answered the phone, and told I have been waiting, but she never apologized. Instead she acting like I was putting her out and gruffly went to a closet and pulled out some sheets. When I asked for blanket, she rolled her eyes!

I wrote an email to Clarion complaining about the terrible service and got a boilerplate response.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank PookyShoehorn

Travelers are raving about these Shepherdstown hotels

Charleston, WV
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My fiance and I checked in on Friday evening for a two night stay. When we arrived in our room there was the stench of a bad odor (sort of like mildew and stale cigarette smoke). Not wanting to cause a problem, we just turned on the AC unit and hoped for the best. The bathroom was dirty with obvious mold in the toilet and behind the faucet of the sink. The carpets were so filthy that I wore flip flops the entire weekend. They definitely needed to be replaced. I tried to be understanding and overlook the issues because my fiance felt bad that he could not get us in to the normal hotel that we stay in, but Sunday morning was just horrible. After showering and packing to leave, my fiance yelled from the bedroom for me to come see something in the bed. To my shock and horror, there were tiny red ANTS crawling all over the bed that we had slept in for two nights! Even housekeeping gasped when they pulled the sheets back to reveal an ant colony festering in the bed. I felt itchy for two days because of the thought of having ants on me. Fortunately, the manager refunded the cost of our entire stay, but I will never set foot in that hotel again. I'd rather sleep in my car than sleep there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank linnsandjon
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Room overall was clean and comfortable. Quiet. However, the wallpaper was peeling off in the room. Part of the wallpaper was stapled back up onto the wall.

It looked like part of the hotel was being renovated. The food at the restaurant was good and plentiful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed November 13, 2008

I stayed on Fri/Sat in early November, as part of a large group that was visiting. We had a group rate of $94/night.

I travel alone, but they were out of one-bed rooms when I made the reservation, so I had a very spacious room with two Q beds. They also had a refrigerator and microwave.

I suspect the room hadn't been occupied in a few days - it was stuffy, and there was a ring in the toilet.

There appeared to have been a water leak in the room - about 20% of the wallpaper had obviously peeled off, and was STAPLED back to the wall.

The hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk from the town itself, so in bad weather, or if you plan some back and forth, you may not want to walk it.... and parking in the town itself was confusing - some lots were open to the public after hours, some streets have one side for residents, one that's open, except during business hours.... etc.

My advice to the Clarion would be to clean better,and just maintain standards. My advice to guests would be, unless you're really going to a conference at that facility, try one of the charming B&Bs in town instead.

• Liked — my group was mostly there
  • Disliked — the room wasn't well maintained, and it was not convenient to town
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank vivavino
Lorton, Virginia
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I’m not saying the hotel and its staff don’t deserve all the awards from they have. I am saying I don’t think they will keep getting them unless they do a refresh.

The bad first

No Nextel service at all in the hotel.

The free wireless internet in the room was worth about what it cost. It had a limited capacity and poor signal in my room. Many times it simply wouldn’t work. I was extremely disappointed as I was counting on this perk to keep in touch with work.

The bathroom is also dated as evidenced by a lack of curved shower rod, missing caulk and mildew in the corners of the tub, and the crazy hair dryer mentioned in another review.

The good

The fitness center is THE best I have ever seen in a hotel. No converted room with a treadmill and bike here – this was a full gym with indoor basketball court, sauna, bikes, treadmills, and weight room. All of it free to guests.

Service was excellent.

Overall score -- 4

• Liked — The fitness center
  • Disliked — The so-called wireless internet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank IndiTravler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
Holiday Inn Express Charles Town

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!