“not as good as last time”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Attended a family reunion and as this hotel was very confident to the reunion site, my way wife and I chose to stay there. We had stayed there several years ago and expected the same good experience as we'd had earlier. However, disappointingly, it was not to be. The room, while clean and comfortable seemed...well, a little shabby. Not decrepit but just not as it had seemed before. For instance, the coverlet on the bed was "pilled" and felt like it needed to be replaced. As I said, not really bad but not what we'd expected.

We arrived at the reunion at midday and at four p.m. (check-in time), we drove to the hotel. Our reception was courteous and efficient but seemed a little perfunctory although I must say, the staff did comply with my request for a first floor room and we really did appreciate what they did for us. After ding off our bags in our room, we immediately returned to the reunion and did not return to the room until late that evening. That's when we found an unpleasant sunrise awaiting us; the toilet was clogged and would not flush. Called the front desk at once and was told no one from maintenance was there but they could bring us a plunger! Okay, I know how to use one and some minutes later, said plus get was delivered and the problem was solved. By me. Admittedly, not a big deal but certainly not something you expect or want to find in a nice hotel.

And neither was the other "surprise" we discovered the next morning. Needing that first cup of coffee, we more than a little put off when we found a used coffee pod in our coffee pot. Evidently, it
had been used by a prior customer and the pot had not been checked and cleaned out. Again, not a really big deal and certainly not enough to raise a fuss about. Still though, it was a more than a little disconcerting and will remain I'm our memories should we ever again need a hotel room in that area.

Would we recommend this hotel? Yes but would add, make sure the toilet works.

Room Tip: Make sure toilet works and coffee pot is clean.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Martin J
Brandon M, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

We are extremely sorry that your stay with us was not as good as the last time. We have addressed the issues with our staff that you have brought to our attention. We love hearing feedback so we can become an even better, enjoyable place for guests to stay. Please contact me personally for your next stay. My email address is akutcher@clarionshepherdstown. Everyone at the Clarion Hotel would love to see you again on your next visit to Shepherdstown. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a very clean, well-maintained, modern facility. The room was very nice, quiet, with a good view. Bed linens were nice, and the bed quite comfortable. Good lighting, bathroom amenities, including hairdryer. The best thing about the hotel is the walkable proximity to town and the river, and its very friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BetsyPlatt
Brandon M, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take in the scenery of Shepherdstown that we love so much. We hope to see you back on your next trip!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The hotel needs an overhaul. Room had torn carpet, lifting wallpaper, dingy, musty. Restaurants and bars, the chairs are so rickety or bad it is take your life at risk. Otherwise, staff is quite friendly and the food is above par judged too by the number of locals that dine there. Spa is broken and not looking positive for a repair. Great location and great for quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Leslie21075,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to submit a TripAdvisor review. This site is a wonderful asset to travelers as they search for the best place to stay. It is a wonderful asset to us as well as it gives us an opportunity to look for ways to continually improve our guest services. I am sorry to hear the condition of your room was less than desirable. We do hope to renovate soon and I will be sure to pass along your comments about the chairs to our maintenance staff. We are anticipating the spa to be up and running soon.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food in our restaurants and that our staff treated you well. Again, thank you for taking time to leave a review. We hope you have an opportunity to visit us again soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights while doing a Tough Mudder in WV. It was a pretty nice place, and the price was not bad. Everything was clean and the front desk staff were polite and helpful. My room was on the first floor facing the parking lot and it was quiet. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

I want to thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. Input from guests like you will ensure we continue to provide the best accommodations we can to all travelers.
We were especially happy to hear how pleased you were with your stay and that you would stay with us again if another event, such as the Tough Mudder, brings you back to this area.
Thank you again for your TripAdvisor review. We look forward to having you as one of our guests again in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We intended to stay at a B & B in Shepherdstown, but it didn't work out. So we decided on the Clarion. The room was nice although breakfast was not included. We did not have any meals there, but did check out the menu. There was a nice variety on the breakfast menu and it appeared to be very reasonably priced. There is also a bar which serves food and has quite a few specials depending on the day.

To get to the fitness center, you need to walk out the back door toward the pool and you will arrive at a separate builidng, not attached to the hotel. The center is also for the Shepherdstown residents, so there are many more machines available than you would expect in a hotel. The whirlpool was closed for repair, so check on this before checking in if it is important to you.

It was nice that we could walk to town (about 20 minutes). You will walk by a cemetery that has graves for the Confederate soldiers. Part of the walk to town has sidewalks and part not, but this was not a problem for us. We were just happy to leave the car in the hotel parking lot.

We also saw quite a few deer around the hotel property, day and night. If we ever go back to Shepherdstown, I would not hesitate staying at the Clarion again, but next time we will try the restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judy B
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Judy B,

I would like to first thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with the TripAdvisor community. It is a great platform to share this information with future travelers coming to our area.

I was glad to see that you were able to take advantage of our elaborate fitness center. It is a great facility that we certainly take pride. It is surprisingly large and complete for a hotel facility and one of my personal favorite amenities. The Historic Downtown area is another wonderful attraction to experience when staying at our facility and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy it.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you for your contribution to this indispensable traveler's resource.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is in a great location just a short walk to German Street downtown. The rooms are very tired and in need of an update and quite dark. The staff is friendly and helpful. We ordered pizza from room service and was told it would be 25minutes but did not arrive for well over an hour.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Uaflygirl2000,

Thank you for taking the time to present us with your opinions regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is great to hear from our locals! We love being so close to the Historic Downtown area and consider it one of our biggest assets! Sorry to hear that your room was not up to standards and we hope to renovate soon. I was very glad to hear that our staff was able to impress you. We take great pride in them. I hope that if your plans require a hometown hotel, that we will be your choice here in Shepherdstown!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

8 stink bugs in first room. Requested a second, which we got. Second room was not vacuumed and beds were not made to standard. Second room had a dead stink bug or two on the floor. Apparently its a big problem around there, but that doesn't excuse it - its the job of the hotel to provide insect free rooms to its guests, even if that requires additional effort..

Also, wanted coffee in the morning. Went downstairs and they had a breakfast buffet for $8 something. And coffee for a $1. It was a hand-written "$1" sign. Ridiculous. Either have complimentary coffee or none.

Room Tip: Check for insects.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cheyenne l,
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of your recent stay with us. We are taking a very proactive role in combatting these pests and I know how unsettling their appearance can be. My sincerest apologies that you came across them as, I agree, it is our job to ensure that guests never need to know it is a struggle in our region. I will follow up with the staff and our professional pest control team to ensure that we do a better job in the future.
Each room should be appointed with complimentary coffee. I apologize that this amenity was seemingly overlooked in your room. We take guest satisfaction seriously and I hope that we get another chance to impress you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville
Hampton Inn Martinsburg
Hampton Inn Martinsburg
#1 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!