“Needs Help -”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The hotel needs an overhaul. Room had torn carpet, lifting wallpaper, dingy, musty. Restaurants and bars, the chairs are so rickety or bad it is take your life at risk. Otherwise, staff is quite friendly and the food is above par judged too by the number of locals that dine there. Spa is broken and not looking positive for a repair. Great location and great for quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Leslie21075,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to submit a TripAdvisor review. This site is a wonderful asset to travelers as they search for the best place to stay. It is a wonderful asset to us as well as it gives us an opportunity to look for ways to continually improve our guest services. I am sorry to hear the condition of your room was less than desirable. We do hope to renovate soon and I will be sure to pass along your comments about the chairs to our maintenance staff. We are anticipating the spa to be up and running soon.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food in our restaurants and that our staff treated you well. Again, thank you for taking time to leave a review. We hope you have an opportunity to visit us again soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights while doing a Tough Mudder in WV. It was a pretty nice place, and the price was not bad. Everything was clean and the front desk staff were polite and helpful. My room was on the first floor facing the parking lot and it was quiet. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

I want to thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. Input from guests like you will ensure we continue to provide the best accommodations we can to all travelers.
We were especially happy to hear how pleased you were with your stay and that you would stay with us again if another event, such as the Tough Mudder, brings you back to this area.
Thank you again for your TripAdvisor review. We look forward to having you as one of our guests again in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We intended to stay at a B & B in Shepherdstown, but it didn't work out. So we decided on the Clarion. The room was nice although breakfast was not included. We did not have any meals there, but did check out the menu. There was a nice variety on the breakfast menu and it appeared to be very reasonably priced. There is also a bar which serves food and has quite a few specials depending on the day.

To get to the fitness center, you need to walk out the back door toward the pool and you will arrive at a separate builidng, not attached to the hotel. The center is also for the Shepherdstown residents, so there are many more machines available than you would expect in a hotel. The whirlpool was closed for repair, so check on this before checking in if it is important to you.

It was nice that we could walk to town (about 20 minutes). You will walk by a cemetery that has graves for the Confederate soldiers. Part of the walk to town has sidewalks and part not, but this was not a problem for us. We were just happy to leave the car in the hotel parking lot.

We also saw quite a few deer around the hotel property, day and night. If we ever go back to Shepherdstown, I would not hesitate staying at the Clarion again, but next time we will try the restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judy B
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Judy B,

I would like to first thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with the TripAdvisor community. It is a great platform to share this information with future travelers coming to our area.

I was glad to see that you were able to take advantage of our elaborate fitness center. It is a great facility that we certainly take pride. It is surprisingly large and complete for a hotel facility and one of my personal favorite amenities. The Historic Downtown area is another wonderful attraction to experience when staying at our facility and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy it.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you for your contribution to this indispensable traveler's resource.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is in a great location just a short walk to German Street downtown. The rooms are very tired and in need of an update and quite dark. The staff is friendly and helpful. We ordered pizza from room service and was told it would be 25minutes but did not arrive for well over an hour.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Uaflygirl2000,

Thank you for taking the time to present us with your opinions regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is great to hear from our locals! We love being so close to the Historic Downtown area and consider it one of our biggest assets! Sorry to hear that your room was not up to standards and we hope to renovate soon. I was very glad to hear that our staff was able to impress you. We take great pride in them. I hope that if your plans require a hometown hotel, that we will be your choice here in Shepherdstown!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

8 stink bugs in first room. Requested a second, which we got. Second room was not vacuumed and beds were not made to standard. Second room had a dead stink bug or two on the floor. Apparently its a big problem around there, but that doesn't excuse it - its the job of the hotel to provide insect free rooms to its guests, even if that requires additional effort..

Also, wanted coffee in the morning. Went downstairs and they had a breakfast buffet for $8 something. And coffee for a $1. It was a hand-written "$1" sign. Ridiculous. Either have complimentary coffee or none.

Room Tip: Check for insects.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cheyenne l,
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of your recent stay with us. We are taking a very proactive role in combatting these pests and I know how unsettling their appearance can be. My sincerest apologies that you came across them as, I agree, it is our job to ensure that guests never need to know it is a struggle in our region. I will follow up with the staff and our professional pest control team to ensure that we do a better job in the future.
Each room should be appointed with complimentary coffee. I apologize that this amenity was seemingly overlooked in your room. We take guest satisfaction seriously and I hope that we get another chance to impress you in the future.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

On a recent business trip I stayed here and made use of the conference facilities as well as the special dining arrangements included as part of the onsite training program. The room was clean, however the bedding was less than comfortable. The refrigerator was so loud it interrupted my sleep. And for whatever reason there was a dog barking somewhere in a room close by at 6:30 every morning. Staff was less than accommodating and seemed less than excited to be there. The pool was closed but the hot tub was open - but filthy and not fit to use. The highlight was the private meal service provided to the course participants. The meals were tasty and well prepared and everything was fresh and well presented. If the regular restaurant is anything close to the special meals made available to me, then it would seem that it is a good choice for dining in this area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with our hotel. It is through this process that we are able to improve our product for our future guests. I was very sorry to hear that certain aspects were below our standard and that the staff did not come across in the best light. Please feel free to contact me in regards to what areas they fell short in and we will certainly address the concerns regarding the hot tub. We want all of our guests to feel taken care of and I am truly sorry your experience lacked that aspect. I was very glad that you found your room to be clean and were impressed by the food we offer. We take pride in our products and our customer service and I hope you feel as though your concerns have been addressed. If your travels bring you back to our area, I hope that we get another chance to impress you.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I attended a conference here and was satisfied with my room and the services. There were pluses: Excellent location just a 10-minute walk from downtown Shepherdstown and 20 minutes from the racetrack, nice fitness facility and small pool, brisk walking tour with hotel staffer Deb every morning 6:15-7:00, good service, room safe, refrigerator, microwave, and good pillows. There were minuses: Both my room phones were inoperable for different reasons (fixed the next day), my radio would not stop blinking (replaced the next day), and the hair dryer sounded like a helicopter was landing. Desk staff were very helpful and informative (directions, for example). Rooms could use an update, but were comfortable nevertheless. All in all, a good location at a decent price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community. We get a lot of good feedback about those morning walks and I am glad you were able to participate. They are a great way to start the day! The hairdryers are an item that we hope to soon replace. If you happen to be back and have an issue with one, contact the front desk as we have a few handheld ones available for use during your stay. I am glad you found the staff helpful. We are very proud of them! Hope to have you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#1 of 14 in Martinsburg
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!